Profile for fantasy escapist > Reviews

Content by fantasy escapist

fantasy escapist (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Avatar [DVD]
Avatar [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam Worthington
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looking Pandora but same old story., 29 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Avatar [DVD] (DVD)
Avatar's `vanilla release': you can't skip two FACT texts, despite the fact you brought the DVD legally ...there's a slight pause 1hr12 mins and six secs in(which you're warned about at the back of the case as it's a dual layer disc). Presented in 1.78:1 aspect ration (approx) and Full frame version 16:9 so no black bars (if that bothers anyone). The transfer looks flawless to me, and the best-looking one I've seen on DVD, probably. After the credits is introduced with a Pandoroa-inspired THX logo.

MENU

PLAY:
Acting - really stilted and bland from Worthington, and having him narrating (from 8 mins 1 sec to 11 secs is particularly obvious line-reading) makes is have less impact than it could've had if Cameron has cast an actor that wasn't so bland. Saldana gives a spirited performance apart from some overacting here in there in emotional moments that reminded me of Thandie Newton in Crash.
I particularly liked the acting from Weaver, Lang, Guy who played Max Patel, Tsu-sey and Ribisi. Yes, all their characters are two-dimensional beings, but I they played them as well as they could.

A particularly annoying character was Norm Spellman. Urgh, he just felt so superfluous and was just a couple of steps away from Schneider, to me...

The dialogue was usually cheesy, clichéd and even unintentionally hilarious at points. A lot of machismo posturing with some use of `bitch' that made me a feel quite exasperated when I heard it said. Come on Cameron, really?

The plot was predictable, mostly, and is a real melting pot of different films etc - Pocahontas, Ferngully and as a consequence of the shallow writing; it was hard to have an emotional connection to the main characters. I did however, like the lush look of Pandora and the animals that inhabited it (especially the Ikrans) but I do like BBC nature docs, so that's probably why.

The romantic aspect left me cold - again, it really wasn't developed in a genuine way from my point of view and felt very contrived.

The CGI was excellent throughout and this was its main selling point anyway. Apart from the matte-looking painting machine at 3 mins 55 secs in and a few moments the jungle looked too perfect and shiny, both Na'vi (still can't warm to their character design, though) and Pandora looked as photo-real as I think they could get when they made this. Prolemuris look like Abe Sapien spider monkeys. It's 2hrs 28 mins 43 secs and 2hrs 35 mins 35 secs with credits.
As for not having 3D on this bare-bones release, it doesn't bother me. I saw it in the cinema in 3D and to me; it means I can enjoy the spectacle without reaching for the paracetamol.

My fave scenes were definitely the flying scenes and the climatic action ones - those were well executed.

The score reminds me of Titanic with some New Age influences and a bit of The Lion King, especially the choral parts of it. I See You sung by Leona Lewis has a good melody in the chorus but it's pretty uninspiring apart from that; it's middling quality, really.

Overall: This is overlong but if you want a CGI-fest with a interesting jungle backdrop and creatures, this will give you something but for all it's computer wizardry, it has nothing substantially innovative to say that hasn't been done before and better from an ecological point of view (and what it does say is pretty heavy handed). I personally still prefer Princess Mononoke. A 5.6/10

SET UP:
Norsk
Svenska
Off

SCENES:
1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-15, 16-18, 19-21, 22-24, 25-27, 28-30, 31-33, 34-35.

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince [DVD]
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by streetsahead

3.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the declining DVD packages, 3 Feb. 2010
I've noticed, since the fourth Potter, the quality of these films has been dropping - since then, the films have felt very run-of-the-mill cash cows and with this latest one, that feeling is amplified even more, in my opinion.

Disc 1:
Menu

Play Movie: The acting from the trio is still uneven - passable one minute, very stilted another. The standouts are Tom Felton, and the two boys who play younger Voldermorts. Acting dishonours go to Dan Radcliffe and Bonnie Wright - the latter in particular is wooden, bland and has no screen presence and the former is stiff and awkward and struggles with emotional scenes(like the climax).

The plot has some superfluous scenes like the early flirting in Surbiton station and undermines some emotionally moving scenes, like the Major Character Death climax and the feeble, much-advertised attack on the Millennium Bridge.

The cinematography has a very gloomy, soft-focus, muted palette look, to me and the inky splashes work well in the Pensieve scenes. Unfortunately, most scenes are literally very dark, so I struggle to make out what's going on. Please, make the lighting brighter!

The score is pretty mediocre, and Hedwig's theme plays in odd moments.

Overall: A disappointing affair, especially as this is the sixth film now, and they should be getting better after each installment. Hogwarts lacks magic (where are the ghosts, for example?), the romantic subplots feel forced(I suppose that's what happens when you adapt books to films before the books have officially concluded) and the whole thing feels unbalanced. Instead of ending with a bang, it feels like an afterthought and as if shortcuts were taken. 6/10

Scene Selection: 1-6, 7-12, 13-18, 19-24 and 25-30.

Languages -
Spoken Languages:
English
English Descriptive Narration
Hebrew

Subtitles:
English (For The Hearing Impaired)
Arabic

Costume Designs with Evanna Lynch
Art with Bonnie Wright
Behind the Camera with James Phelps
Makeup with Emma Watson

J.K. Rowling: A year in the Life - Old ITV doc broadcast after Deathly Hallows came out.

One-Minute Drills

Harry and Dumbledore Leave Cave
Clouds Gather Over Hogwarts as Flitwick Conducts Choir
Harry Joins Ron, Hermione and Ginny in the Common Room
Harry and Hermione Discuss Ron at Astronomy Tower

Extras rating: 5/10. Compared with the PoA disc, this is very sloppily put together.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2010 3:33 PM GMT

U-BopApple iPhone 3G | 3GS Hotsync & Charging Docking Cradle W/ USB Data Cable (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't look exactly like the photo, there's no screen protection and it's really just a two-pack silicon skins for the N86., 18 Dec. 2009
This arrived today through my letter box(after two working days, so kudos for fast delivery) and isn't terrible or fantastic, but I did at least expect it to have screen protection as mentioned in the description, and it doesn't have that.

The pack comes with the two covers and inside the covers are two cardboard pieces of the front view of the N86. The covers slide onto each other(by a bit of transparent plastic inside the covers) so it slides when the phone does.

The back view matches the photo but the front view doesn't - the silicon skin covers all the buttons on the front where the mirror finish is(call, end call, menu, left, right and clear buttons) but leaves the big square scroll buttons free(which is fine but isn't what's pictured). The photo though shows it doesn't cover these buttons at all, so somewhat misleading, that.

Overall, it's a fine silicon skin cover for light protection, but I doubt it'd be as rugged against falls as an Otterbox for example (if the N86 had a specially designed Otterbox for it, which it doesn't as of the time of writing) but for now, it's fine to protect from fingerprints and scratches - I just wish the photo was more accurate for the front view and it had screen protection.

Let the Right One in [DVD]
Let the Right One in [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kåre Hedebrant
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Let this film into your life and treasure it forever., 3 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Let the Right One in [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this from library and I've held onto it far longer than a week. I'm definately going to buy my own copy, as this is pretty much one of the best vampire and human love story films I've seen, so far and here's my reasons why:

Film: The acting from the two kids is so natural and utterly convincing, especially from the girl playing Eli, who has this quiet maturity beyond her years. I learned they dubbed her voice, but it still doesn't take away from her facial expressions and mannerisms as the character. It really shows up a lot of horrid child acting I've seen over the years. The supporting cast too are very good, portraying their interlocking dramas with the main one well.

While vampires are vogue for the moment and that may be the main attraction, there's far more going on here than just what supernatural creature Eli is. There's a clear juxtaposition of innocent child vs dangerous vampire and the pure bond she forms with Oscar. Oskar's home problems and Eli's desires are explored in a subtle way. It has elements horror and is yet touching at the same time. I was left beaming at the end and got the same fufilled feeling I got when I watched the end of Shawshank.

The cinematography is excellent. I love how the atmosphere accurately reflect chilly and cold, then intimate and warmth. Very immersive and beautiful at the same time. Oh the opening falling snow sequence too is pretty much a work of art.

The score as well is really something. The romantic grandeur of the strings section, and dramatic scenes fit like a glove. In short, it's excellent.

Overall this is a compelling, slowly absorbing and symbolic film with subtlety, believable acting from it's young leads and a look and score that make it truly something I want to watch time and time again, as I discover something I missed each time and it's so captivating I can't take my eyes of it when it's playing. 9/10

Extras -

Scene Selection: Scenes 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12.

Set Up: 5.1 Surround Sound Audio Description

Subtitles English Including Hard of Hearing On/Off

Bonus: Commentary With Director Tomas Alfredson and Original Author John Ajvide Lindqvist On/Off

Deleted Scenes - Four brief scenes mainly three with Oskar and one with that blonde woman character, running to 5:43 secs I think.

Trailer - UK trailer with text praising the film from newspapers etc.

Overall, the extras are quite sparse and a film of this quality I would've liked to see a making of, interview with the cast and just more in-depth and insightful. The commentary is good though, so 6/10.

Warning: You can't jump straight to the main menu and are forced to sit through some trailers. Very annoying, especially considering if you brought it to own, why should you be forced to watch trailers? Momentum, sort it out!

It's Not Me It's You
It's Not Me It's You
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good electro pop second album, 12 Feb. 2009
This review is from: It's Not Me It's You (Audio CD)
I've only heard a few songs from her last album Alright, Still. I liked her since the start with Smile, as she came across as a cheeky, dry-witted young woman with fun tunes and brutally honest lyrics. This second one sees her progress. Even if I'm not estatic about her mockey-type way of singing, her voice is still good, to me.

1. Everyone's At It - a siren-like sound opens this one, with Allen singing about her observation about the hypocrisy of the attitudes surrounding drugs. She doesn't take a stance for either side but rather, sits on the fence. The deep electro sound reflects the seriousness of the matter. A very good album opener, but conflicting opinions and a refusal to take one side or the other makes it less hard-hitting as it could be. 8/10

2. The Fear - the debut single warns of the influx of the talentless ambitions for fame. I get the sense she's too worried about `the fear' of superficiality herself (not that she's talentless but she's known more for her antics than her music). I'm used to the `clean' version of the song, but the added f-words in the album one just add to its addressing of tabloid personas and its ironic tone, since people want fame to happy and secure, not worried. All this backed by a fun electro pop sound makes it danceable too. 8/10

3. Not Fair - it initially has a galloping sound followed by a harmonica later on. Allen's apparently singing about a guy who apparently isn't good in bed! It's quite a mean subject to sing about in a song, but the short ukulele solo in the middle makes me want to do a little jig. 7/10

4. 22 - starts with an old organ sound, so a sort of sad tone sets the stage for this more mid-tempo ballad. Lyrically, it's about a young woman at 22, who had a bright future but nearing 30, things are going downhill. It's quite pessimistic, unusually for Allen both arrangement wise and lyrically, more or less. 7/10

5. I Could Say - something akin to a Keane piano sound playing begins this one, until the optimistic electro pop beat kicks in. She's singing about being happier and freer, now that an old relationship is over, the resentment has gone and the arrangement reflects this effectively. It's danceable and uplifting. 8/10

6. Back To The Start - quite a distorted beat begins this one. It comes across that she's apologising profusely for her old jealousy towards someone. Again, a fun beat is juxtaposed with deep, troubling issues she's faced in the lyrics. 8/10

7. Never Gonna Happen - the harmonica-sound again begins this mid-tempo ballad. Allen's annoyed about a boyfriend who doesn't get that their relationship is over, and keeps troubling her. The arrangement, especially the middle reminds me of the circus or fun fair sounds, all happy and carefree. 8/10

8. F**k You - the opening piano sounds very familiar. This is my fave song, as I love how happily she sings `f**k you, f**k you very, very muuuuch' - it just makes me chuckle. Again, this one has a fun fair upbeat, pop sound to it. This is Allen's annoyed persona to a T. 9/10

9. Who'd Have Known - this has more sensitive vocals on this mid-tempo ballad. I think this is the one where she asked Take That for permission to use Shine. I like it, as she turns it in to something different. She wants to take a new relationship that's going well, slowly - a good balance to the ones that have gone badly. A nice, heartfelt, sweet song and shows she can be so. 8/10

10. Chinese - another song about her feeling of content in a relationship. It's floaty, dreamlike electro pop with her singing about being happy with just her guy and a Chinese takeaway, aw. It's optimistic and it's good to hear her being so happy. 9/10

11. Him - more sensitive vocals here. I think this is the one is about Bush, so its Allen's political views. It's got a gentle, simple mid-tempo arrangement and it suits the song. It's interesting to listen to, even if you don't agree with it. 7/10

12. He Wasn't There - an old jazz `40s slow sound to this one, about her father I think, not being around when she was younger but `now everything's fine'. 7/10

A more mature sound to this mostly electro pop album, that's well produced and Allen sings about her own issues, so it's personal to her, yet accessible to listeners.

She's got a sweet, simple ska-type voice that along with her cute image can mislead people at first glance to think she'll be all lollipops and rainbows, but no. She's sings about alot of deep things in her life with a biting, honest way of putting it, and sometimes with some swearing.

Each song is about a common theme - relationships, whether it is with drugs, the media, men, life, the president and her father.

There's not a weak song on here to me, and its fun, mostly danceable and thought-provoking. Not bad at all for what usual is the sub-par second album. 8/10.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2009 5:07 PM BST

JVC HA-FX33-BE New In Ear Marshmallow Mouldable Stereo Headphones - Black
JVC HA-FX33-BE New In Ear Marshmallow Mouldable Stereo Headphones - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice and fits comfortably, but poor, distorted, muffled sound quality, 4 Feb. 2009
I got these for my iPod, as the old white earphones kept falling out my ears.

Fair enough, these look nice and are somewhat more secure in my ears than the white iPod ones, but at what cost, sound quality wise? Here's my problems with it:

-Bass sounds alot of notes higher than it should - therefore, bass is pretty much AWOL, which is terrible.
-Music played at the same volume through my Creative Zen earphones sounds lower and more muffled through the JVC ones.
-Doesn't 'isolate ANY ambient noise' - ironically, I have to turn UP the sound as these earphones make music volume lower than it should.
-These earphones distort the music too so songs don't sound the same and as clear though my Creative Zen ones.
-The shape means they tend to slide inside the ear, instead of fitting securely.
-The gold plated 3mm cable end doesn't improve the non-existent poor sound quality. It's just for show, to me.
-The cable's grey, not black if I really want to nitpick over how it looks.

Overall, there are better, if more expensive in-ear earphones that don't have bad sound quality like this does. Seriously, it's like the earphone equivalent of the HP R607 camera - both produce bad quality output.

Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy)
Inkheart (Inkheart Trilogy)
by Cornelia Funke

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, page-turning adventure tale that suffers from repetitive plotting., 31 Jan. 2009
After seeing the film last year at the cinema, I was interested to see wht the book was like, since it's good to know the source material from fantasy films, as it helps answer questions you might have (and alot of the time, the book is far better, to me, anyway!).

It's an easy to get into, quickly-absorbing read, which explains why a slow reader like myself finished the 544 pages, 59 chapter book in under two weeks!

Each chapter is headed with extracts from classics from the genre, which somewhat link into what the chapter will be like. It would be a good idea, if you haven't to read some of these books, to read a few - one of my fave fantasy novels, The Neverending Story had an extract from. There's also small black and white drawings at the end of chapters as well that relate to it's tone.

The characters of Mo, Meggie and Elinor (our three protagonists) were likeably written and seemed real and the main concept of Silvertongues was an exciting and potentially good idea. It's not just a kid's book as it has elements of emotional pain which older readers should be able to appreciate.

It's problems are: it's repetitive plotting, no real insight on what happens when a book's character when he/she leaves their story, how a Silvertongue gets their ability and I'd have liked to know more of what to know more of what Inkheart in the book, that they were all fighting over, was about (maybe more extracts?). Also, nothing really left me in awe, like great books do.

Overall, the chapters are fairly short, it's entertaining and enjoyable and a good read, if not a stand-out classic of it's book-within-a-book fantasy genre. I believed the main concept too, which isn't an easy feat for something fictional.

WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Burtt

5.0 out of 5 stars Basically, a sweet, dystopian sci-fi robot love story..., 5 Jan. 2009
Film: From the single word phrases WALL.E and EVE vocalise (alot of their dialogue is limited to beeps and vocoded sentences), it seems to bring them to life really well. The captain of the ship is voice acted really well too.

Although it's inspired from various sci fi films, the film has a uniqueness all of it's own. The funny scenes really did make me chuckle and the sort of plausible dystopian view of life 700 years into the future doesn't preach a green message at you like Happy Feet did, rather plays subtely in the background so it can be read on many different levels.

The animation is absoloutely stunning, especially outer space like the Sun and Saturn's rings. WALL.E's design may not be 100% original (a cross between a robotic E.T. meets Short Circuit's Johnny 5) but for such little dialogue, the character's personalities are shown very well indeed.

Love the score - it really does complete the scenes and the Hello Dolly use is charming and fitting for me too.

Overall: a very sweet lovable child-like robot is brought to life so well and his love for EVE convinces. Sight gags and satirical pokes at our way of life are thought-provoking and the film, as said before can be understood on many different levels without it becoming too much or trying too hard (like alot of animated films that seem to shove references into films firmly aimed at the older adult audience, like Madagascar).9/10

Bonus Features:
Presto: Theatrical Short - hilarious short of a magician and his rabbit.

BURN.E: All New original Short - The off-screen story of what happens to the repair robot who gets locked out of the ship by WALL.E and EVE.

Animation Sound Design: Building Worlds From The Sound Up - Very interesting and insightful doc about the challenges the team faces in making sounds for the film.

Deleted Scenes:
View The Deleted Scenes With Optional Introductions By Director Andrew Stanton ON/OFF
Play All

'Garbage Airlock' - role reversed with WALL.E being the one to save EVE after going down the garbage chute.
'Dumped' - very brief scenes with an alternative way that EVE finds the plant for her .'directive'.

Audio Commentary by Director Andrew Stanton ON/OFF - an actual really good, informative listen of the problems, changes and joys of making the film. 6/10 for the extras on the one disc Rental edition DVD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2009 5:10 PM BST

Sleeping Beauty (50th Anniversary Platinum Edition) (1959) [DVD]
Sleeping Beauty (50th Anniversary Platinum Edition) (1959) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mary Costa
Offered by Skydvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully restored Disney classic with very good extras, 11 Dec. 2008
I first saw this at primary school, aged 6 so it must have been the first film I saw there and I loved it. I'm now an adult, and while it does have flaws within the aspects of character and some other niggles, it still stands up as a classic.

Disc 1: The Film - Opening with the classic Disney storybook being opened, the gold jewelled cover represents how much money and time went into making this, which is Disney back at what they do best, adapting fairy tales.

The vocal performances are outstanding, especially the evil villian Malificent's. They just carry the animated performances the artist did so well and bring them to life. My fave characters are the three good fairies and the best pure evil antagonist in a Disney fairy tale-based film.
Plot wise, it's a straightforward telling of the fairy tale, no 100 years between the Prince finding Sleeping Beauty and changes things like the number of fairies and some comic relief thrown in to make it more cinematic and Disney-fy the quite short fairy tale.
The film's running time is short(72 mins) and even if I'd prefer it a bit longer, it's tightly paced and doesn't go on too long.
The animation has a medieval, paining type feel, with it's detailed hand painted backgrounds and boasts arguable their most beautiful (if lacking noteworthy personality traits) princess Aurora/Briar Rose. The tour de force climax for me in this fairy tale film has never been bettered and scared me as a child.
A lovely, wonderful score that drives the emotion and great songs like my fave One Upon A Dream complete the film.8/10

Scene Selection

Bonus Features: Music & More: "Once Upon A Dream" Music Video By Emily Osment - A colourful pop-rock take on the memorable song, with a high-pitched teenybopper-pandering vocal from Osment. I don't think the 'rock' elements of the song work, so I could live without this version of it. Instead, Broadway singers doing a duet covering it would've been so much better.

Disney Song Selection - Once Upon A Dream(Main Title), Hail To The Princess Aurora, I Wonder, Once Upon A Dream and Sleeping Beauty. Jump to these places in the film, either by picking just one at a time or selecting the PLAY ALL option.
Play Film with lyrics on Screen - On or Off option too.

Set Up

Sneak Peaks - Trailers for WALL.E, Space Buddies, DisneyLand Paris 15th Anniversary, Pinnochio, The Princess and the Frog, Bolt and Tinker Bell.

Disney Fast Play - Starts the film straightaway.

Backstage Disney: Audio Commentary - with John Lasseter, Andreas Deja and Leonard Maltin. A chance to switch this option ON to listen with the film as Lasseter(Toy Story director), Maltin(lifelong Disney fan and film buff) and Deja(an animator at Disney). You'll also hear snippets from some of the original filmmakers who made this classic.

Princess Fun Facts - pop up pink boxes of information about the film making and of course, princesses.

Grand Canyon - A pictoral interpretation of Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite", conducted by Frederick Stark. Photographed in Cinemascope.
In four parts - Painted Deserts & Sunrise, On The Trail, Cloudburst and Sunset & Finale. Not sure what it has to do with Sleeping Beauty but interesting all the same.

The Peter Tchaikovsky Story - Tow versions of a show (which was the first widescreen presentation and stereo simulcast on TV).
Version 1 sees Walt talk briefly about the history of Disney(also explains what the veiwer has to do to be able to hear the steroe simulcast on TV), then introduce the short drama of the composer in colour then it goes back to Walt in black and white to introduce a preview of the forest and escape sequences from Sleeping Beauty.
Version 2 is the same as above but without the set up for stereo bit.

Disc 2: Bonus Features -

<--- Cottage
Castle --->

Castle --->
Picture Perfect: The Making of Sleeping Beauty - a more in-depth discussion on the sophistication, the design and decorative look of the film and it's influence by Eyvind Earle.

Eyvind Earke: The Man and His Art - a short doc on the background artist on the film.

Sequence 8 - The forest sequence and it's troubles and costs($10,000 apparently).

Alternate Opening - Shows the pinned up rough black and white storyboard with narration esablishing the kingdoms of Stefan and Hubert and the celebration of Aurora's birth.
We then see the unused joyous Broadway-type song 'Holiday'. This section is both balck and white and coloured storyboards.

Deleted Songs: It Have A Picture - was planned to follow Holiday.
Vesrion 1 uses a newly recorded version of the song after the original dialogue. Version 2 uses the exact same lyrics of the song as original recorded dialogue. It's a nice, light song.

Riddle Diddle - a song sang by the fairies making the cake and dress with magic. It's a sprightly, fast little bop.

Go To Sleep - set when the fairies put the rest of the people to sleep wth Aurora.

Storyboard Sequences: The Fairies Put The Castle To Sleep - introduced by Deja. The film version and storyboard version are shown, one ontop of the other, showing the similarities.
The Capture of the Prince

Live Action References: Briar Rose Dances, Prince Phillip Fights The Dragon and The Queen and a Good Fairy. All in black and white and very brief.

Sleeping Beauty Art Galleries: Visual Development, Character Design, Stroyboard Art, Live Action Reference, the Sleeping Beauty Storybook, Layouts and Backgrounds, Production Photos and Publicity.

Original Disnland Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthough Attraction:
chhose between - Auto Mode or With Guided Tour by Disey Imagineer, Tony Baxter. A side icon lets you view the book on the menu screen for this.

History of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Attraction

Publicity: original Teaser Trailer, Original Theatrical Trailer and Re-Release Trailer.

Four Artists Paint One Tree

<--- Cottage

Briar Rose Enchanted Dance Game

Sleeping Beauty Fun With Language

8/10 for the extras.

Lost in Austen [DVD] [2008]
Lost in Austen [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Jemima Rooper

3.0 out of 5 stars A enjoyable 21st Century spin on Pride and Prejudice but not a great DVD presentation..., 11 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I orginally watched this when it was first shown on ITV1 and it had me hooked. While I didn't think it was amazing it's still a good piece of period drama with the twist of someone from our world thrown into the mix. I've never read Pride and Prejudice or any Austen novel, so I can't say how a hardcore fan reacted to this.

Disc 1 - Episodes 1 & 2: We are introduced to Amanda's disillusioned life in London and then how she enters Austen's 'real' fictional world of Pride and Prejudice. Obviously, things don't go to plan and stray from how they should be.

Disc 2 - Episodes 3 & 4 Plus Extras: Things seem to be looking up for our herione in Ep 3 but how long does this happiness last?
The last episode tries to wrap up things with the conclusion where Amanda is faced with an ultimatum. Does it all end happily for her and the other characters?

The acting side, Bonneville stands out with all the best witty lines and and a certain flair and gravitas he brings to his role. The rest, including Jemima are all good but he gets a special mention from me.

Cinematography wise, it's warmly lit and has lovely scenery of Yorkshire I think. I wish there was more of how life was in the early 18th century, more of Lizzy's life adjusting to modern day life in London and it's a bit predictable really. Amaiable fluff to me but nothing great. The music's got a main theme with nice strings and a floaty of not complately original tune.
Overall, for the mini series gets: 7/10

DVD Extras: Behind the Scenes: If when the last Ep 4 was shown on ITV1 you did what I did and turned over to ITV3 to watch the behind the scenes doc this is that exact same thing.
It's a 42 min technical doc showing a bit more of the work that went into finding locations, decorating sets, snd how to organise a particular scene involving a cold pond ...
There are some few brief info some of the actors give about their experiences but these aren't at a sufficient length to be insightful enough to me.
I would've liked some deleted scenes, proper in-depth interviews and maybe a commentary. This one extra only rates fair for me - 5/10.

Note: The DVD picture quality is quite grainy from maybe a suspected 'noisy transfer', which is surprising as it came out this year, and I'm used to a sharp, clear picture on DVD as a standard(I don't have the money at the mo to upgrade to HD TV and Blu-Ray like what it seems, everyone else seems to be doing ...).
Also it says on the back 'Certain scenes in this DVD version have been edited or deleted for copyright reasons' so the scene with Amanda singing Downtown has been cut, so that scene doesn't make sense unless you remember watching the original broadcast on ITV1. It's annoying really.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4