Profile for "robaldo9" > Reviews

Content by "robaldo9"

"robaldo9"

by Ian McEwan

3.0 out of 5 stars An over-hyped holiday read?, 5 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Atonement (Paperback)
I came to this book expecting much. It was the first McEwan book I have read and his reputation obviously preceded him.
Unfortunately I was left rather dissapointed. I finished the book feeling that it had been written as a means to an end, that is, for the author to spin out an elaborate plot construction. As such I found the actual storyline quite uninvolving. There is no doubting the cleverness of the plot twists. But I found the characters lacked sufficient depth and that the plot itself shared many similarities with several recent novels based around the second World war.
I will have to presume that this is McEwan's style, and so his fans (of which there are apparently many) will enjoy this book. I feel, however, unable to join this particular club!

Christ Stopped at Eboli (Penguin Modern Classics)
Christ Stopped at Eboli (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Carlo Levi

4.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing tale of exile, 11 Sept. 2002
I approached this book slightly unsure of what form it would take. As it turned out I found it to be an insightful an absorbing account of the author's political exile in Southern Italy. Levi gives an excellent description of life in the area, which is remarkably backward. He paints fantastic portraits of the local characters, and lends many interesting opinions on the politics of the time. And he does all this with the fine prose of a consumate writer and artist - an edition with some plates of his paintings of the area would be an excellent publication indeed!

by Ian McEwan

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever but soulless, 11 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Atonement (Hardcover)
This was the first (and so far the only) McEwan book I have read. After the many rave reviews I must admit to being a trifle dissapointed with it. There is no doubt that Mr McEwan is a very intelligent writer, and I certainly did find myself enjoying some of his descriptive writing. Unfortunately I found the plot of the novel to be too carefully thought-out. My impression was that the story was merely a vehicle for the twist, and I found that this left the characters slightly flat and myself ultimately disengaged from the book. It is a clever but soulless novel as a result, in my opinion. That is not to say books with clever plot-forms need be soulless - I recently read and enjoyed Iain Pears' excellent 'An instance of the fingerpost'.

A Gun for Sale: An Entertainment (Penguin Twentieth Century Classics)
A Gun for Sale: An Entertainment (Penguin Twentieth Century Classics)
by Graham Greene

4.0 out of 5 stars A dark and insightful view into the life of an assassin., 8 Feb. 2000
From the start this book is Greene at his cinematic best. The writing really conveys the dark and cold environment, and the anti-hero is portrayed as one of lifes failures. In a world full of lies and betrayal he strives to right a wrong. The book reads in a slightly less complicated way than some of Greenes later works, but the impact is nonetheless powerful. It all serves as a wonderful companion to Brighton Rock.