Profile for Mr. Colin Rankin > Reviews

Content by Mr. Colin Rankin

Mr. Colin Rankin "Colin Rankin" (Braintree, essex United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Soul Catcher
Soul Catcher
by Michael C. White

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Cold Mountain, 12 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Soul Catcher (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book.
Cain is one of the best realised characters in modern novels.....as is Rosetta...but then I'm a male.
The synopsis says it all so I will not dwell on the storyline....suffice it to say that I do regard this as superiour to Cold Mountain because of Michael Whites use of prose and his dramatic flair.
Their is much more here about the Mexican Wars than the American Civil War but it is conveyed in a powerful way...especially the battle of Beuno Vista which haunts Cain throughout his life....Rosetta is his salvation.
All in all......highly superior and a staple addition to anyone's book collection.

The Interesting Bits: The History You Might Have Missed
The Interesting Bits: The History You Might Have Missed
by Justin Pollard

4.0 out of 5 stars As the title suggests...Interesting., 12 Dec. 2007
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a thoroughly entertainging book....not to be taken too seriously of course....but....interesting.
Justin Pollard has produced a book of humour(sometimes very much so)that is a revelation.
Anyone with a real interest in history will be well pleased with these oddities that made me smile on one level but then gave me food for thought.
I did not know that Dick Whittington was a multi-millionaire by the standards of the day...or why Puss-in-boots...is...well...puss-in-boots.
Revelations about kings,queens,barons,etc down to us ordinary folk are simply invigorating.
Highly recommended.

Notes On A Scandal [DVD] [2007]
Notes On A Scandal [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Cate Blanchett
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 11 Sept. 2007
I really have little to add to the previous review....it says it all.
As a male this film left me stunned....it's direction,production and acting are second to none.
The confrontation between Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench when Cate finally understands what is going on simply blew me away....possibly Cate out-acted Judi for a while here...a great honour indeed.
I cannot recommend this film enough.

Cream: Farewell Concert [DVD]
Cream: Farewell Concert [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cream
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliance, 7 Sept. 2007
Although I tend to agree with previous reviewers over the production of this video/DVD of this seminal concert I still cannot give it less than 5 stars.I was there,18 years old and completely knocked out by the greatest rock band I have ever seen.Cream simply 'were'.The fact that the camera tends to focus on Bruce's mouth and the back of Clapton's head is pertinent but irrelevant.....you still hear Clapton's amazing guitar work.Baker's drumming is also majestic.
I too wish that this had been a straightforward filming of the concert but,alas, not to be.
Nevertheless...........what a great gig it was!!
That still shows through.

Pan's Labyrinth (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]
Pan's Labyrinth (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doug Jones
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 6 Sept. 2007
By any standards this is a great film.
The juxtoposition of innocence against extreme violence is mesmerising.
The young girl's fantasy world is brilliantly played out against the violent reality.
This film is not about fantasy ( I doubt if this takes up 10% of the film)but about the more sordid and real life we live in...especially in wartime.
I found the torture scenes genuinely chilling and the acting is of a high standard.
When the girl's blood provides the innocence at the end, this film becomes emotionally overpowering.
Simply wonderful stuff.

Don't Look Now (Special Edition) [DVD] [1973]
Don't Look Now (Special Edition) [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Donald Sutherland
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw trilogy?, 6 Sept. 2007
'Don't Look Now' is no Saw trilogy.
It is not meant to be a blood and guts silly version of so-called horror.
I find it unbelievable that anyone should compare this masterpiece to Saw.Fundamentally this is one of the most emotionally chilling films ever made....you just need half a brain to watch it.
Yes,it is an old film....I just wish many modern films could do the same...the red riding hood sequence at the end is a stunner because the film simply does not lead you to expect it...not a silly predictable film but a much more cerebral one about parents emotions and fears after the loss of a child.....'Saw'.somebody is having me on!

Straw Dogs [1971] [DVD]
Straw Dogs [1971] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dustin Hoffman
Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Straw Dogs [1971] [DVD] (DVD)
This film is indeed set in Cornwall.....where else? Ireland???....Crazy.
When I first saw this film I held it in awe......back in about 1978 I watched an uncensored version that made my jaw drop.
I watched it again last year and still felt the same.
It was originally banned because of it's extreme, by the standards of the day,violence and the notorious rape scene.Was Susan George buggered...?
I don't think so......this was the the imaginination of a Roman Catholic priest who objected to the film and led to it being banned.
This film,although slow moving initially, builds to a crescendo of a climax that has rarely been equalled.
Both Dustin Hoffman and Susan George are excellent, supported by a 'crew' of able English actors......the sheer atmosphere of being in a 'different world' is brilliantly conveyed.
The violence is not contrived but the film will always be remembered for the rape scene.....there is much more to it than that.
A film that, at the time,broke all boundaries.....possibly Peckinpah's best.

Bloodstained Kings
Bloodstained Kings
by Tim Willocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 19 July 2007
This review is from: Bloodstained Kings (Paperback)
This book is a sequel to 'Bad Moon Rising'.....it does not tell you that.
Willocks writes in a powerful, adult way that can be shocking.If you like your reads that way then read these but in the right order.He is also known for 'Green River Rising'....a book in the same gory and very adult vein.
His latest book 'The Religion' is a magnifent piece of bloody but romantic fiction about the seige of Malta.
I recommend all but be warned.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2012 5:20 PM BST

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it thinks, 19 July 2007
'English literature'? This is American literature.
I must admit when I read this when it first was published,I enjoyed it a lot for what it is....a good thriller preaching a lot of unsubstantiated hocus pocus.As a thriller I felt it was very entertaining but felt it's research element somewhat dubious.....nevertheless it is a cracking story.
Now,I'm not so sure....Angels and Demons is better but neither really hit me like so many other 'adult' thrillers....read Tim Willocks or John Connolly for example....much more powerful thrillers without resorting to pseudo history.

Birth Of A Nation: A Novel
Birth Of A Nation: A Novel
by Julian Rathbone

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining history, 19 July 2007
Sort of, anyway.
Rathbone has his own take on history as the previous novels in this series,'Joseph' and 'A Very English Agent' so clearly demonstrate.
Modern references for the sake of humour or not....all three books are hugely entertaining and more historically sound than may be generally realised.Different to 'Flashman',I agree but nevetheless highly entertaining and very 'tongue in cheek'......along with the 'Donner Party' I had better not put my 'foot in it'......sorry,a rather silly joke on the black humour to be found in the book,I apologise.
All in all..very good...but read this,so far,trilogy in order.In the immortal words of Douglas Adams...this could well be a trilogy of four books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10