Profile for Mr. Colin Rankin > Reviews

Content by Mr. Colin Rankin

Mr. Colin Rankin (Braintree, essex United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
World War Z
World War Z

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing., 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
I can understand some people's expectations of this book being different to what it actually is.I would not actually say it is a novel about 'zombies' at all,it is a novel about humanity and many other things.
It's format is different and somewhat original and takes a little to get used to.
I am not a real zombie fan but I did enjoy '28 Days Later' and the fun 'Shaun of the Dead' and I really like the TV series 'The Walking Dead'. Otherwise,it is of no particular interest to me.
So,why did I read this book?
The concept had intrigued me for some time.I am an avid reader of books of many different genres and had found myself continually returning to reviews until I thought
'oh,what the hell,I'll give it a go'.
I downloaded it onto my Kindle during a period of rather bad health to while away the time in hospital and was able to devote a lot of attention to it.
I'm pleased I did.
This book bubbles with satirical ideas about US foreign policy,some successful,some not quite so.Overall,however 8 out of 10 for satire.
The build up to the real zombie outbreak and it's medical definitions and background...again 8 out of 10.
The Battle of Yonkers...10 out of 10.
I'll tell you why this is 10 out of 10.As another reviewer has very well pointed out the principle here is that modern weapons are of no use against people intent on committing suicide,a very good reflection on our current situation in the West.The Battle of Yonkers clearly demonstrates the futility and fear that this situation will instill in troops.Frightening.
The depiction of the panicked sea evacuations when no-one knows if some of the evacuees are infected....9 out of 10.
The chapter about the female helicopter pilot who survives a crash but is surrounded by zombies in the woodlands....I'll leave it to you to decide who 'Meta' actually is....9 out of 10.
The powerful sequence with regard to the 'stolen' Chinese nuclear submarine....what do I say...10 out of 10.
The politics behind the fightback.....perhaps the weakest part but probably the most satirical and certainly interesting but probably slightly too much angled to the US.....6 out of 10.
The rest,and there is a lot of it....7 out of 10 but with a few 9 out of 10 moments.
The last part,'Total War' I found a little disappointing but only inasmuch that I felt that it should have been a little longer....6 out of 10.
Why 5 stars?...well,taking everything into account I would have to give it a minimum 4.5,so 5 it is.

The Philip K. Dick MEGAPACK ®: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories
The Philip K. Dick MEGAPACK ®: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bargain., 8 Jun. 2013
Apparantly Philip K.Dick wrote 120 short stories as well as his famous novels,so this is just a handful of them.
Cost me 34p!Brilliant.
All the stories are good,obviously some better than others, and I know that I read many of them in my youth....but great to read again.
I think the story titled 'Second Variety' was made into a film called,I think,'Screamers' with Peter Weller.
Anyway,a real bargain and therein lies the wub.

Forgive Me
Forgive Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept my wife happy., 12 April 2013
This review is from: Forgive Me (Kindle Edition)
My wife,Sheree,loved this and went straight on to download another book by Lesley Pearse.
This author has never failed her.I spend quite a bit of time downloading her type of books.I don't do so bad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2013 7:21 PM BST

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 April 2013
I love it.
Great colour,great ability for reading,great hi-def,great support.
I really like having it alongside my first purchase Kindle which I still use.

Paperboy [DVD] [2012] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Paperboy [DVD] [2012] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars What the hell?, 8 April 2013
I watched this film with my wife last night.
I had already warned her about the subject matter and the critical reviews,fully expecting her not to like it.However,I wanted to see it.So we did.
The bottle of wine and two Toblerones went down nicely as well.
We both agreed that this is a great film but probably flawed, but I would find it difficult to pick out the flaws.
It is intense,powerful,brilliantly acted and very well scripted.Not a 'normal' film at all.
Nicole Kidman simply acts her a*** off,John Cusack is very suitably a nasty piece of work,Mattew(I can never spell his last name)is a revelation and everyone else is also very good.
We loved it.
Obviously very adult with themes about what does or does not define humanity and very tragic.I thought,at first,that some of the scenes were for 'shock tactic' value but now I'm not so sure.They appear now,the following day,to be very pertinent.
Anyway,we both seriously enjoyed this for what it is.Not for everydody but perhaps something of a future masterpiece.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 6:22 PM BST

Old Sock
Old Sock

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, 26 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Old Sock (Audio CD)
As a fan of Clapton since I was 17(I'm now 62)I have grown up with his music.From the early days of the Yardbirds,Cream,Blind Faith and Derek and The Dominoes through his more eclectic solo albums and soulful,bluesy live albums he has either astonished me or captivated me.
This is now a man with absolutely nothing to prove,he has done it all time after time.
However,I came to this album with some trepidation.Over the last few years Eric has become self indulgent,but what I mean by that is that he is releasing albums that he wants to release rather than ones that major companies would want him to release.He is at the top of the tree,he can do what he likes.And that is the way it is.
My trepidation was based around the fact that he may have become so self indulgent that he might alienate some fans who still wanted a bit of the old Clapton.
So far,that appears to be the case.At least based on some of the reviews.
OK,I have now listened to this album four times.

First time-Disappointed,Eric and the band playing bar backgrond music.
Second time-Well...there's something here,but what is it?
Third time-I'm getting the drift.This is pretty cohesive,but old American country/blues/jazz with a couple of new songs thrown in doesn't appeal to everyone.
Fourth time-What laid back,tasteful,masterful musicianship from all concerned.Very high quality recording.

This is miles away from modern music because it isn't modern music.
This is Eric retiring gracefully in his own way.He deserves our respect for that.
All I really want from him now is a live double album from his current world tour.U.S. reviews for this tour are stratospheric,he still displays it when he wants to.
Anyway,my developed opinion is that 'Old Sock' is a far better album than it appears on first listening.
And I will be listening to it (when we at last get a sunny sunday afternoon)out in my garden with my family and a nice cold beer.
Cheers.

Haunted
Haunted

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Haunted (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished this book late last night.
I felt compelled to wade through it and stuck with it out of sheer determination.After I put the book down I quietly sipped the last of my glass of red wine and tried to give it some thought.
Yes,it is a collection of short stories gelled together with an over-riding 'linking'(?) story.However,the 'linking' story also reads as a series of short stories.
Puzzled? So am I.
All I can say is that this is one of the most satirical,dark,downright weird novels I have ever read.Strangely,it works.
I am fully aware of the furore over 'Guts' but that is not the most disgusting story here.I reserve that honour,on a personal basis, for 'Exodus'.There are others,too,not least in the overall story.Beware of the book's disturbing subject matter and accept that it has to be taken at face value with a very strong stomach.
When I finished,I felt as if I had run a marathon of surprise,emotion and downright turmoil.
Not an easy read and not to everyone's taste.The writing style is literate,succinct and jolting.Not three words that I would normally put together.
Give it a go and,maybe like me,you will come out the other end.

THE LAYLA SESSIONS 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: ALTERNATE MASTERS, JAMS & OUTTAKES (UK Import)

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 30 Jan. 2013
I have a much older version of this that originally came out on audiotape(!)....just shows my age.
This is probably the gutsiest,rawest and most emotional album I have ever heard.Indeed,a masterpiece.The jams and outtakes are well worth it for an understanding of how this remarkable album was created.
I would not say that this is Clapton as never before or since,he has reached such heights at other times,but not so much on one album.He was fortunate to have such a great band and to be joined for most of the tracks by the great Duane Allman who duets with Eric and pushes him to his limits.
This is no ordinary album,it is stratospheric.

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) [DVD]
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tilda Swinton

5.0 out of 5 stars Awfully great., 12 Nov. 2012
I have just finished watching this with my wife after my 30 year old son watched it last night.
We all think the same.
An incredible film dealing with a very difficult subject.
Acted superbly and not difficult to follow with it's timelines at all,as some reviewers seem to suggest.
If they were looking for a straight forward horror film this is not it.
A film of much more power than that because it relates to real life,however abject that may sometimes be.
No point in telling the story,that speaks for itself and many others have already explained it.
Emotional,sad,convoluted,horrific in a real way.
It left me and mine shattered.

The Swarm
The Swarm

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes...good.Well,I think so., 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Swarm (Kindle Edition)
Finished this yesterday evening after starting it quite early in the morning.So therefore I ,sort of, liked it.
I really had to juggle between 3 and 4 stars so settle for 3.5.
This is original and unsettling,quite Stephen Kingish.For those that do not like typos there are quite a few but I doubt if it has ever been proofread and should not affect any enjoyment,of which,if you are a fan of this genre(and I am),there is plenty to be had.
What am I trying to say here? Not quite sure.
Ideas are very interesting indeed and well plotted but perhaps too many characters for my liking,sometimes a bit difficult to remember who was who,but then I had a couple of glasses of wine in the evening.
Look,give it a shot,it is worth it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10