Profile for Emily Wesby > Reviews

Content by Emily Wesby

Emily Wesby

JBL On Stage IIIP Portable Loudspeaker Dock for iPod and iPhone 3G (Remote Control - Battery or A/C )
Offered by The Outlet Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Disappointing..., 26 Aug. 2014
I had a Bose speaker for years before this and in comparison this isn't great. It's tinny and the bass is pretty poor. For fans of rock music I wouldn't recommend it - the sound from my £14.99 JVC headphones is better. All I'm hearing is symbols so I'm definitely planning on returning it and buying something a little pricier for a better bass. However it does look great and was so easy to set up, but for fans of heavy bass music I would say this isn't worth getting.

Transcendence [DVD]
Transcendence [DVD]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS A GOOD FILM, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Transcendence [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, just to clarify, a 5 star review doesn't mean I think it's on the same level as Star Wars or The Godfather or Alien etc etc, but I gave it 5 because I really want to encourage people to watch it since it has been extremely unfairly criticised and I believe it is a good film.

On a huge budget and with such impressive names involved it is true that this film should have been better and the narrative, as the critics have said, is a little gappy and unclear. However, I went to see this twice at the cinema (I should say that it was twice in only three days) and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. I was truly engrossed and at no point either time was I thinking "ugh when is this going to end".

The film has some very impressive visual shots and cinematography (not surprising from Wally Pfister) and a very thought provoking theme which I think has taken a new angle on what could be seen as a tired out concept of the dangers of technology. The performances are 5 star (again not surprising) and the real star of the movie is Rebecca Hall whose emotional grounding of the film gives an interesting and significant edge which separates this from just any old other humans versus technology film. (The one that comes to mind is Will Smith's I,Robot which had a similar theme of the dangers of a power hungry machine seen in the character of VIKI.)

The slightly dodgy narrative is the only problem with this film (but all in all I think it was a good effort for newbie Jack Paglan) but even that is not a major issue and this film in no way deserved such widespread panning. I did enjoy it more the second time around when I was able to understand the story line a little better. I think it is a real shame that the critics were so harsh since that has of course put people off seeing what is a brilliantly emotional ethical debate of a film (with some super cool explosions, self-heeling 'hybrids' and awesome science stuff. So what's not to like?)

DEFINITELY WORTH WATCHING AND I WOULD REALLY RECOMMEND THIS FILM
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2014 10:17 PM BST

Family Guy - Road to the North Pole [DVD]
Family Guy - Road to the North Pole [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by Fulfillment Next Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 21 April 2014
I first saw this on TV and loved it - I think it's one of their best, particularly the songs, and I enjoy watching it again and again.

The criticism this is getting is for the pointless release, but I think if you're a fan of the show you should really have realised that there's nothing new here but nevertheless I think it was a good idea to release this because personally I won't buy the box set (since it's on TV so much there's an endless supply already!) but this is one I like to have so I can watch it at Christmas.

I'd definitely recommend getting this, it's hilarious.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2014 10:17 PM BST