Profile for Samantha Sissons > Reviews

Content by Samantha Sissons

Samantha Sissons (London United Kingdom)

The New Vegetarian
The New Vegetarian
by Alice Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful look and taste, 5 April 2016
This review is from: The New Vegetarian (Hardcover)
This is a gorgeous book. It is beautiful to look at and a joy to cook and eat from. I have cooked a few recipes from it and I found the little details of a really good sauce or flavouring take the recipe to the next level. I feel like there is a lot to learn from it - I'm definitely going to try sprouting, and will also get more creative about juicing not following a recipe. I love the way this book takes a traditional recipe like a tart and switches it up using rye flour, or there's a sreally simple chocolate loaf that tastes so good because it uses beetroot. It all feels healthy without being restrictive - and I'm not even veggie!

Often I go off my cookbooks after a few months and start finding their covers too garish - but with this book I dont think I will. I love its calm, white, stylish look inside and classic cover style and heftiness.

Curry Easy
Curry Easy
by Madhur Jaffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookbook, 2 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Curry Easy (Hardcover)
I love this book and it is my favourite cookbook of the moment. The recipes are all great and they genuinely are easy. A few take a while (eg involve overnight marinades) but there are also some super-quick ones.

I love the photography too.

My only criticism is that the reicpes call for lots of salt. I usually err on the side of plenty of salt but I find these recipes dont need as much as she says because they have so much flavour from the spices.

British Baking
British Baking
by Oliver Peyton

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous deliciousness, 21 Mar. 2011
This review is from: British Baking (Hardcover)
I'm a keen baker and I can't resist saying this book takes the biscuit. It has a huge range of recipes - biscuits you can take to the office, puddings you could do for a dinner party, and cakes for every occasion. Some of the recipes are dead simple and some are quite tricky - but everything I've attempted so far have been methodical and with a pleasingly good result. My favourite is Lemon Drizzle but I'd also highly recommend the brownies and - if you want impress someone - the chocolate marble cake with white chocolate icing.

Oh and I forgot to mention it's BEAUTIFUL!

The New Vampire's Handbook
The New Vampire's Handbook
by The Vampire Miles Proctor

5.0 out of 5 stars Like funny Vampiric York Notes, 20 Oct. 2009
Seems vampires are everywhere these days and this book is a hilarious reminder of all things vampiric. It's very funny and would make a great gift. I've just started watching True Blood and this is the perfect way to get the background in an entertaining way.

White on Black: A Boy's Story
White on Black: A Boy's Story
by Ruben Gallego

5.0 out of 5 stars A sad but uplifting story of a boy's neglected childhood, 10 April 2006
This is the shocking, true story of Ruben, a disabled Russian boy who is abandoned by his family as a baby and left to grow up in a series of grim orphanages. The book opens with him crawling alone through snow from his dorm to the outside toilet - neglect and abuse is a constant feature of Ruben and the other boys' lives.
But although his story is harrowing it is also strangely positive. The boys make friends and have fun in spite of everything. Using his willpower and obvious intellect Ruben is eventually able to escape from the orphanage and somehow he his able to turn his horrible experiences into a passion for life. He tells his story movingly, with dark humour but also beautifully and without bitterness.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2012 8:50 AM BST

23 Days in July: Inside Lance Armstrong's Battle to Win a Sixth Tour De France
23 Days in July: Inside Lance Armstrong's Battle to Win a Sixth Tour De France
by John Wilcockson

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling 'edge of the saddle' ride through Lance's '04 Tour, 26 Oct. 2004
I'm no Tour de France afficionado but '23 Days in July' had me hooked. Breakneck time trials and devastating roadside pile ups play out against a shady backdrop of 'doping' whispering campaigns. I learnt that the Tour is way more than a sport. It's an incredible drama of human interaction (sometimes a matter of life and death). Each team leader asks for total, selfless support from his team of 'domestiques'. And when anyone takes a personal risk it threatens the whole group as in those tightly packed 'peletons' one skid can cause a huge crash.
It's no wonder Lance Armstrong won. Grit and self-belief is just as essential as fitness and, having fought off cancer, Lance has buckets of both. But '23 Days' shows Lance is not some automaton. The author is friendly with Lance and other competitors and his insider interviews really reveal their human sides. He also conveys the nail-biting excitement of a race in which anything could happen and where the tension keeps on mounting for 23 whole days!