Profile for Ashley > Reviews

Content by Ashley

Ashley (Stockport, ENG)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Final Fantasy XV: Day One Edition (PS4)
Final Fantasy XV: Day One Edition (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Fantasy XV: The resurrection, 1 Feb. 2017
As a life long Final Fantasy fan I've been somewhat disillusioned by the previous instalment which many Final Fantasy fans don't like to talk about, I'm obviously talking about Final Fantasy 13 which in it's own way has become to Final Fantasy fans what Voldemort is to the Harry Potter world, in which we describe it as "that which shall not be named".

Final Fantasy XV has gone through serious makeover over the years, where SquareEnix has scrapped ideas, reinvented new ones only to scrap them as well, it went under a complete new image going from being developed as Final Fantasy versus XIII (back in 2006) to a 10 year long haul which lead to Final Fantasy XV that we know of.

If you're unfamiliar with Final Fantasy then it's best to know that none of the other games tie together, so each Final Fantasy is it's own unique game, but even though each game is different they still like to make references from other final fantasy games, this tends to be in a form of character names.

So what does Final Fantasy XV offer and how does it differ from the rest of the Final Fantasy series?

Well in comparison to the FF games in the original series (FFI - FFXII) I'd say the most dramatic change (gameplay wise) would be the battle system, and it's the one thing I was most concerned about going into this game, but I must say the Active X Battle system was a joy to use and I was one of the people who wanted the old Active Time Battle system back! The fast pace battles really make for some epic fights and in fact one of the last bosses is one of the best boss battles I've ever seen in a video game!

Now for an essential part of Final Fantasy, the story and characters!
The history of Final Fantasy has been based around the characters and the story itself, without a good formula for either of these you're going to have a bad time. With that said I feel FFXV really knocks the ball out the park with these characters, not just the playable characters but the NPCs as well, it's actually the first time I've gone through a FF and not hated a single character, even the villains are excellent at what they do! The chemistry between the 4 main characters is brilliant, and the development is very little but this is pretty much down to the fact that there isn't much in need of developing.
As for the story, it helped that I invested my time into watching the Kingsglaive film, and also watch the anime before the game was released as this helped me understand the world more (not that it is needed), I've not taken interest in a Final Fantasy story since FFX, as I found XIII's story to be boring and never managed to give XII the time of day. However with Final Fantasy XV I found the story so enthralling, that taking my time playing through the mini games (and there is quite a bit to do mini game wise) was murder as I wanted to know how the game would meet its conclusion.

Final Fantasy XV was definitely my game of 2016, and not just because I'm a fan of Final Fantasy, but because it told a warming story about good vs demons, through a string of emotional rides! Plus like the Phoenix it looks as though it has single-handedly resurrected the franchise from the ashes left by Final Fantasy XIII!

FreeMaster Super LED Bike Rear Light USB Rechargeable Cycling Bicycle Lights Waterproof Bike Tail Light (Red)
Offered by FREEMASTER

1.0 out of 5 stars Not weatherproof!, 31 Jan. 2017
Lasted 5 days before it stopped working due to rain getting inside the unit!

Not a very good bike light if it isn't weatherproof, in fact I don't think it should be allowed to be sold as it could be seen as a potential hazard, especially if it decides to rain when you're halfway on your journey and breaks your rear light.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (PC DVD)
Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (PC DVD)
Offered by Level99Games

4.0 out of 5 stars Out with the old in with the New!, 31 Jan. 2017
After what could only be described as a complete disaster after Resident Evil 5 and 6, it seems Capcom are starting to not only reinvent the Resident Evil franchise to a more modern horror based game, but also at the same time bring back the old school eeriness that the old games had back in the 90's which made the franchise so popular.

I was sceptical about the game being in first person and thought that it would just give them an excuse to fill the game with jump scares like Outlast, but this isn't the case at all, in fact I have come across very little jump scares. What the first person mode does instead is rekindle that edginess you had in the originals, where you would run down a narrow corridor with fixed camera angles that would prevent you from seeing what was waiting for you ahead, or around the corner, whereas now with first person mode you only see what is ahead, sometimes finding yourself inexplicably looking behind you at all times, side to side and even above you (can never be too careful of giant spiders).

Atmosphere wise I'd say the game is spot on.... but why only 4 stars you probably wonder? Well because I feel that this game could have gotten away without being a resident evil game, I feel Capcom felt as though they cheated their fans with Res 5 and 6, so felt the need to give something back. It may be something very trivial to lose a star, but I can't help but think that Capcom have used the Resident Evil name as a marketing ploy as well, would this game have sold as many copies without Resident Evil in the title? Who knows!

Horror is a dead franchise in the video game and movie business and now it's evolved into a physiological horror, where horror isn't based on blood and gore, but putting the viewer/player in a exasperating, punishing and daunting situation, so to take a game like Resident Evil that has been based on blood and gore with elements of fear in it, and to turn it into what Resident Evil 7 is (and successfully so) I think Capcom are onto a winning streak if they follow suit and stick to this kind of foundation.

A definite purchase for any Resident Evil fan, or any fan of Horror in general.

Dying Light Be the Zombie Edition Including Full Season Pass (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 28 Feb. 2015
Visually stunning and the controls work very well although the free running could be slightly better and more responsive!

I've put in a fair few hours in this game and haven't even scratched the surface of the main story but when you first dive into the game there really is no rest for the wicked, the combat is made really difficult in a way where some zombies at the start can take an absolute beating so if you get cornered by 5+ zombies it's best just to run!

I was told that the day/night cycle doesn't take effect unless doing the main missions, I can honestly say I've not noticed this? I have been doing the side missions or just bashing some zombie skulls and have entered night on a fair occasions which I must say is the most nerve wrecking thing especially when played in the dark!

The crafting and skill system is very much like the one from Dead Island and the only thing similar to Dead Island.... Well that and the different type of elite zombies you run into! The crafting system works well and you'll find yourself looking for random loot rather than just hoarding everything you pick up!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget to keep hydrated!, 20 Feb. 2015
Very good product, after my first 7 day's I lost 5lbs and went down from 22% body fat to 21.2% without being on a really strict diet!

My first time taking them I became hot and began to sweat, I got a massive caffeine rush which I still get now and my legs tend to twitch whilst I'm sat down at work once they kick in!

I did fall ill once on them due to dehydration (which is expected) the only thing that threw me off was I haven't been feeling thirsty whilst taking them, I use to take the T5's and they made me feel thirsty but with these I took my 6 capsules in a day and come late at night I was throwing up and suffering with really bad headaches!

So just make sure you drink lots of water whilst taking them, even when you don't feel the need to be drinking just keep yourself as hydrated as possible!

Logitech C920 HD Pro USB 1080p Webcam
Logitech C920 HD Pro USB 1080p Webcam

4.0 out of 5 stars Best webcam out there!, 20 Feb. 2015
Logitech are a renowned company when it comes to webcams and the C920 is a a reason why!

The picture quality is simply amazing, I used this webcam for Twitch and Skype and both have turned out a crystal clear HD picture!

My only problems have been so far is that you can't adjust the camera position with the control panel using the Logitech webcam software program, the only time I can change the camera position is when I'm streaming or already in a call on Skype, Changing it in Skype isn't a problem it's when I'm streaming as there is a 15 second delay time between real time to the streamed video so I can spend about 1 min 30 seconds changing my webcam position whilst on Twitch which is slightly annoying!

The second problem I have had is my webcam being disconnected from Skype whilst in a video call, it's happened on more than one occasion however I'm not entirely 100% that this is due to the camera but more of an issue on Skype itself, I just thought I'd point that out!

All in all though you can't fault a Logitech webcam they are the best at making them and I'd go as far as saying this is probably the best on the market so far.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2015 5:31 PM GMT

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Best present I've bought!, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
Quite possibly the best ever Christmas present I have ever bought my dad!
He's constantly on the Amazon fire and since I managed to install Kodi (formally known as XBMC) on to the device he's forever watching film after film!
The main selling point of the Amazon Fire for me was that it could install Kodi (XBMC) onto it, however the process is pretty long-winded if you're not very tech savvy, there are loads of videos on YouTube on how to do it and it is pretty straight forward there's just quite a bit of messing about like I said if you don't know what you're doing, I had to install Kodi on the device for my dad as he hadn't a clue where to begin.

There has been only 1 or 2 times since December where the device has required a hard restart (pulling out power adapter and plugging it back in) as the device has crashed probably due to my dad constantly messing about with it and causing too much strain on the processor other than that there's been no problems!

He can now stream endless amount of films using Icefilms and Genesis and to say money well spent would be an understatement!

Assassin's Creed Unity (PC DVD)
Assassin's Creed Unity (PC DVD)
Offered by * The Game Monkey *

3.0 out of 5 stars Becoming repetitive?, 6 Jan. 2015
I've been a massive fan of the AC games from the first game release to Revelations, Black Flag had it's upsides and the ship exploration was a good addition but then got very boring very quickly when you had to sail from one side of the map to the other for a bout 10 minutes!

Onto AC: Unity though and my first of the series on PC platform....

Firstly not much of the game but more of Ubisoft's version of Steam known as Uplay was down for a substantial amount of time so even when receiving the game on day of release I couldn't play it as the Uplay servers were down (which tends to happen quite a bit on Uplay even without the first day release) something I hope Ubisoft will resolve much like Valve did when Steam first came about!

Now onto the actual game a few people had glitch problems I however didn't (maybe the rub of the green, I don't know) I did notice a problem with the frame rate which makes the game feel a bit clunky and sluggish, apparently there was an update to resolve this issue? I however didn't notice this issue being resolved after installing the update!

The look of the game is great and it can't be faulted but I never really liked the game based on the look of it, the story line which has been the selling point in my opinion has seemed to become repetitive and boring really, the Desmond story kept me interested but now that has gone it just seems like it's a story going nowhere.
The added multi-player feature seems to be some sort of distraction from Ubisoft as they try and drag the franchise out for as long as possible, I enjoyed teaming up with friends and/or random people on-line to complete multi-player missions but I soon lost interest after 5 missions.
The controls felt poor and unresponsive at some points like when running across rooftops, and trying to climb walls.... A added feature allowing you to tell Arno (the main character) whether or not when free running across rooftops to climbs higher or drop lower was a great idea but sometimes led to you doing stupid stuff like jumping in random directions or dropping extremely slowly! The only time it ever seemed useful was when vaulting over random objects like benches or carts and sliding under gates which you do like 5 times maybe in the game and that's when it actually gives it you as a side objective on one of the missions in order to get 100%

In the end I just wanted to complete it too see if anything interesting happens and much like Black Flag it was very underwhelming!

LEVV Harvard OC5BB Executive Chair
LEVV Harvard OC5BB Executive Chair

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent, 2 Aug. 2014
I didn't know what to expect from this chair as there has been a lot of mixed reviews about the chair breaking and being poorly manufactured, however I took a gamble and decided to go for it.

Firstly the instructions that come with the chair are simple to follow and the chair itself is easy to assemble.

Secondly the feel of the chair is great, I weigh 65kg and there is no sign of the chair buckling or anything giving way.

I went for this particular chair as 1) it was cheap and 2) the mesh backrest and seat..... I've had leather chairs before and find that you can get ridiculously hot when sat on them for excessive amount of times and I use my PC for gaming so can be sat down at my desk for 4-6 hours on average, in that time the seat is incredibly comfortable and doesn't attract heat.

For the price of the chair I'm very happy I took the gamble.

Watch Dogs (PC DVD)
Watch Dogs (PC DVD)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Wrongfully critised, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Watch Dogs (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
A lot of people have been unhappy with Watch Dogs but personally the more I play it the better it gets, much criticism it has received has been solely on Uplay's behalf after it's debut release the servers were terrible to say the least, looking past that the graphics are amazing, the story is well written to the point that it's not linear....

The driving is awful and probably the games only major downfall, reminds me much of the driving on GTA VI but the more you play it the more use to it you get! The contract side missions are repetitive and the gimmick side missions are pretty odd and unnecessary!

If Ubisoft decide to go with this and make more then this is a brilliant stepping stone they can take the criticism work on it and use it to better the series (if they turn it into a franchise that is)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4