Profile for Karl > Reviews

Content by Karl

Karl "mrgenesis2005" (Worksop, United Kingdom)

2 Pcs White Plastic Shell E27 Bulb Socket Lamp Holder Adapter AC 250V 4A
2 Pcs White Plastic Shell E27 Bulb Socket Lamp Holder Adapter AC 250V 4A
Offered by Fly Service

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Oct. 2015
Very useful and didn't cost much at all.

Ex_Machina
Ex_Machina
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars I always know when I've enjoyed a film when, 29 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Ex_Machina (Amazon Video)
I always know when I've enjoyed a film when, after watching it, I'm sat in contemplation of the story and it's meaning. I love anything to do with A.I., and this was quite compelling. Definitely worth it.

The Stand Volume 1: Captain Trips Premiere HC (Stand Stand)
The Stand Volume 1: Captain Trips Premiere HC (Stand Stand)
by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and essential!, 17 July 2012
For the fans of the Stephen King book THE STAND, this is a fantastic complement to a fantastic and legendary classic story of the battle between good and evil, of peaceful white magic and black hellspawn. The story of the plague and its aftermath is in itself a brilliant look at what could happen. The dreams and ultimate war between good and bad adds a deeper problem for the survivors to deal with. Many people have read it, and many continue to re-read it, reliving the terror and tension of a desperate, devastated population.

The graphic novel, or shall we say comic book, is an essential addition as it gives you a visual delight, seeing those characters and events in rich detail and getting a little closer to the story. There are 5 books in the series, (I have only bought 1 so far, and will buy the rest) and they are really well put together. They feel good quality and very much well worth the money, which not too expensive at all.

Some of the characters are like how I personally visualized them, like Nick Andros and Stu Redman. Randall Flagg also fits my mental picture. I've seen the two part movie of the book and some characters have a similar familiarity. Good ol' Trashcan Man, was a little different, but still had that bizarre "out there" appearance :)

So, it doesn't matter if you've not read the novel or seen the movie. The graphic novel or comic book version is an, in my view, essential part of the total story. You will enjoy it!

The Book of Kells
The Book of Kells

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric bliss, 27 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Book of Kells (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing the first track and believe me if you love deeply atmospheric music it will warm you completely. The other tracks are superb also, a great movement of sound throughout the album.

Relaxing and uplifting at the same time. Beautiful!

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006 (PC CD)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006 (PC CD)
Offered by GX-ENTERTAINMENT UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good golf game!, 27 Mar. 2012
As there isn't much in the way of new golf games about, we have to look backwards in time and I chose Tiger Woods 2006. I did have the 2005 version but for some reason it won't run with my Windows 7 system. Anyway, the 2006 version is great. It plays and feels just fine, and the career mode is really good. The customisation of the player character is really good and you can make a decent attempt of recreating yourself, or a very odd looking human being indeed. One thing with the graphics tho, the facial animations do get rather.. well scary as the facial textures sometimes shrink and the golfers face looks rather zombie-fied. Not really a glitch that prevents you from playing, but I thought I'd mention it.

I've only started my career in the game recently, so I can't comment on long term, but I'm sure the game will not disappoint.

Definetly worth it at the price!

Dirty War [DVD] [2004] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dirty War [DVD] [2004] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Frightening glimpse of a very possible event., 18 Sept. 2010
I into the whole apocalyptic genre, and spotted this when looking for a good "real-life" story. Well acted, and well executed film. Very sobering to imagine this actually happening, but as many say, this is more likely to happen that was the threat of nuclear war back in the height of the Cold War.

It really makes you think that, although handling the materials would be very hazadous for those stupid enough to want to do this, its still very concievable and alarmingly easy for them to achieve it. Even the very threat of a dirty bomb is terrifying enough.

I definetly reccommend it if your into the apocalyptic/disaster types. You'll really want to slap the politician depicted in the film right in the face for her complete lack of understanding. But then again, no surprises I guess.

The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD)
The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Sims 3 - very much worth losing yourself in..., 29 July 2010
This review is from: The Sims 3 (PC/Mac DVD) (CD-ROM)
Basically its a similar situation to the previous game, The Sims 2. The major thing I found was that, even with my old single core pc, it runs really smoothly. In fact, runs smoother than Sims 2. Now bear in mind I'm running just the base game, i.e. none of the expansion packs. Not sure if that makes a difference, but the performance was one thing I was worried about, and didn't buy it for ages. But took the plunge and was very pleased I did.

A cool thing is the fact that the other houses that are available in the town will gradually be filled by other sims, and they will live, or move out, or move in with each other, or live and work and do all the other things you'd expect, so you don't have to worry about populating the empty lots, new people will come and go in the town. And its optional, you can select the game not to allow the other families to do this, so if you prefer you can have control over your towns population. Also, the lifespan of the sims can be controlled via a slider, so your sims can live for lots of game days, or a shorter span if required. Options like this make a game very versatile, and it helps a lot.

I still play Sims 2, as there are differences between the two games which mean I don't have to leave my Sims 2 behind. They go well side by side.

The downside is gonna be the inevitable numerous expansions which make the game rather expensive when you add them all together. But if the expansions really do add and expand the game, then its gonna be a great investment.

QE2
QE2

5.0 out of 5 stars QE2 - Brilliant and inspiring, 27 Jan. 2006
This review is from: QE2 (Audio CD)
As I increase my Mike Oldfield collection I finally got QE2 (as I'm trying to get them in order), this was my next stop. First up is Taurus 1 and it feels fantastic, the classic touch of Oldfield. Pulsing and haunting at the same time, which is followed by Sheba. There's something about the synthed vocal chanting which really captures me. Both tracks have it and make them very special in combination to the rich musical environment.
A very good reworking of Arrival (a track by ABBA)is also here, nice and atmospheric.
Wonderful Land is a great tribute to The Shadows, again the reworking is brilliant. The title track QE2 has tones of the first two on this album, like a continuing thread which feels totally comfortable.
The other tracks: Conflict, Celt and Molly are great tracks in their own right and fit nicely within the framework of the album as a whole.
If your a collector of Oldfield albums, or just looking to enter his wonderful world of music, I recommend QE2 as a brilliant choice.