Profile for mummy spoon > Reviews

Content by mummy spoon

mummy spoon (South Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Fall: Series 1 And 2 [DVD]
The Fall: Series 1 And 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gillian Anderson
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping police drama !, 30 July 2015
This is excellent television and stands head and shoulders above the rest. I loved Broadchurch in particular and thought that was the best of it's kind but honestly this was on another level, I was gripped from the very start.
The Fall is a very different kind of police drama in that we see the killer actually committing the crimes from the beginning, this takes away the 'who dunnit' element which is most commonly seen in these shows but it is still throughly engaging and keeps you on the edge of your seat . You would think you couldn't like a character who you see killing women and you would be on the side of Stella played by Gillian Anderson but Jamie Dornan's character Paul is strangely likeable and shows that murderers could be anyone, on the outside he appears to be a loving husband and father but the other side of him is chilling. The acting in this series is fantastic from all but praise has to go to Dornan and Anderson, they are outstanding in what must be extremely demanding parts.
The end of season two does wrap up most of the series but also leaves it very open for another and I have read that the third and final will be coming in 2016, I can't wait to see more!

Big Hero 6 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Big Hero 6 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tim Mertens
Offered by CJM Retail Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney do it again !, 10 Feb. 2015
Hiro is a robotics genius who graduated high school early and lives in the city of San Fransokyo, he lives with his older brother Tadashi and their Aunt Cass. Hiro spends his spare time competing in back alley robot fighting contests but his brother Tadashi fears he is wasting his talent and potential so takes him to meet his friends in the lab at his university. Here Hiro is introduced to his brothers fellow students all with different scientific abilities and Tadashi's new creation Baymax the personal healthcare robot.
Soon after there is a family tragedy, Hiro falls into a deep depression and doesn't know where his life is going, that is until he accidentally activates Baymax who picks him up and together they fight to find the truth along with Tadashi's friends who form a group of misfit heroes 'The big hero 6'.
I absolutely loved this film, don't get me wrong I liked frozen but this is refreshing after a year of 'Frozen fever', it felt original and fresh.
I really hope there will be a sequel, I really liked the characters and want to see more from them, hopefully we don't have to wait to long.
Big hero 6 is a film for everyone, kids and adults will find something to like here and for me this is one of Disney's best.

Call the Midwife - Series 4 + 2014 Christmas Special [DVD]
Call the Midwife - Series 4 + 2014 Christmas Special [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as always !, 10 Feb. 2015
Call the midwife is for me the perfect Sunday evening, it makes me smile and cry and then smile again, now into it's 4th series, it still feels fresh.
After season 3 when the series' main Character Jenny left I have to admit, I was a little dubious as to whether Call the midwife could carry on, the series finale felt like the end and I didn't know if I would watch any future episodes.
After watching the Christmas special I realised it didn't really affect the show at all, there are so many other great characters and I honestly didn't really notice Jenny's absence. Now Series 4 is about half way through and I think this is the best yet, I love the new characters and the storylines have been excellent, I really hope there will be many more years of this wonderful British drama.

What We Did On Our Holiday [DVD]
What We Did On Our Holiday [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rosamund Pike

5.0 out of 5 stars What I watched on my day off :-), 31 Jan. 2015
Honestly, I was drawn to this film solely because of David Tennant, I didn't know much about it and hadn't seen any trailers but I do like a good British comedy so thought I would order this to watch on my day off work.
Straight away, as soon as the film started it reminded me off the TV show Outnumbered which I am a big fan of, what I didn't know until afterwards when I watched the special features is that the film is written and directed by the same two people Andy Hamilton and Guy Jenkin.
The humour of the film is subtly woven into what really is quite an emotional storyline and most of it comes from the very talented children who improvise much like the three children in Outnumbered. The children conversations with the adults and the adults reactions to what they say is noticeably real and genuine and that is what gives the film it's charm. Though the children definitely steal the show, David Tennant and Billy Connolly hold it all together making this a truly great comedy.
Also I can't not mention the beautiful backdrop to this film, it's set in the Scottish Highlands and it's breathtaking and really adds to the story, I think I need to go and book my own holiday to the Highlands now.

Sarah Millican - Home Bird Live [DVD]
Sarah Millican - Home Bird Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Millican
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and quite rude, not for prudes., 30 Jan. 2015
I'm not the biggest fan of stand up comedy but I always find Sarah Millican funny on TV and I saw this for £5 after christmas so thought I'd give it a go. I honestly laughed so much watching Home bird live that my sides hurt, Sarah Millican just has a way about her that's so down to earth and relatable and even though some of the things she says are quite shocking, she gets away with saying them.
i think Sarah Millican is one of if not the funniest female comedian around at the moment, I can't wait to see more from her, I think I will have to get tickets to see her live next time though.

Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD]
Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Hooked !, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Broadchurch - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I honestly couldn't see how series 2 of Broadchurch could compare to the first series. The first one was thrilling, full off surprises, twists and turns and a truly original piece of television, I wasn't sure how the producers could live up to the fans expectations but thankfully it seems that they are.
Series two was a little slower to start with as we see what the characters have been doing since we last saw them, it hits its stride by episode two though and a whole new web of crime begins to reveal itself alongside the continuation of the Daniel Latimer murder story from series one.
I will update as the series progresses but so far I'm hooked, David Tennant is even better this time round too as is Olivia Colman and I actually look forward to Mondays at the moment which is a bonus, the new episode of Broadchurch is the highlight of my working week.
I hope series 3 is in the pipeline as this really is British TV at it's best.
**UPDATE** Series 2 has now finished and what a finale, it kept me guessing right to the end and made me even more desperate for a third series, Broadchurch really is the best of British television.

Dallas Buyers Club [DVD]
Dallas Buyers Club [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew McConaughey
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars McConaughey at his very best !, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Dallas Buyers Club [DVD] (DVD)
Dallas Buyers club is a film based on a true story which truly deserves all the praise it was given, it deals with a very difficult and often taboo subject whilst also showing how much things have changed in the last 30 years in relation to the treatment of HIV and with the way the disease and those diagnosed with it are perceived .
Matthew McConaughey plays Ron Woodroof, a heterosexual rodeo cowboy who is seen to use drugs and participate in unprotected sex, this leads to him being diagnosed with Aids and given 30 days to live. At the time he was given this news, Aids/HIV was seen to be a disease which was exclusive to the gay community and Ron was labelled as such by most of his friends.
This film shows how devastating the diagnosis of HIV/Aids was, very little treatment was available and what was available was experimental so patients were guinea pigs for drugs which were often dangerous.
Ron Woodroof's struggle to survive follows his pursuit to find a treatment and to make it available to all who need it through a 'club', this means fighting the doctors, the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies who want to shut him down.
Of course this is Matthew McConaughey's film, he really is as brilliant as the critics said and not just because of his huge weight loss, he is truly outstanding in this role.
I also have to mention Jared Leto and Jennifer Garner who are part of a fantastic supporting cast, Jennifer in particular really impressed me, this is far better than anything else I have seen her in and I hope she continues to take these more challenging roles.
Dallas Buyers club is an honest and eye opening film about and illness which is still seen in a very different way to any other and it has to be one of the very best of 2014.

Miranda - The Finale [DVD]
Miranda - The Finale [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect ending to one of the best British sitcoms on TV !, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Miranda - The Finale [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say I am not a huge fan of British TV shows, I love things like The league of gentlemen, Psychoville and period dramas like Downton Abbey but Miranda was something way off my radar. I don't even know why I ended up watching it but what a happy accident it was, I was almost immediately hooked.
Miranda is one of those people who are so relatable to women, it's not like most comedy shows which go for the big laughs, she shows the funny side of everyday life and it's funny because most of the situations have or could happen to any of us. Miranda makes us feel like we are part of the show, friends of hers and that is what makes this show special and the reason why everyone was wanting this final series.
I looked forward to the finale for months but at the same time was sad that this was it, I think Miranda did an amazing job though as I felt the ending was the perfect way to say goodbye. Be warned though, the end will bring a tear to the eye of any true Miranda fan, I really hope we do eventually see her again though .

Kill Your Darlings [DVD]
Kill Your Darlings [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating story !, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Kill Your Darlings [DVD] (DVD)
I initially bought this film because of Daniel Radcliffe, though I do watch films in this genre, I wasn't sure this was my kind of film, I was way off though, I loved it.
This is a film of two parts and a mix of genres, it's romance, suspense, crime, coming of age and drama all in one, it totally surprised me.
Daniel Radcliffe stars as poet Allen Ginsberg and 'Kill your darlings' tells the story of his life in the mid 1940s and the beginnings of the beats generation. How accurate to real life this film is, I'm not sure but I found it fascinating and Radcliffe shows he is much more than Harry Potter, he has genuine talent and plays this part perfectly. I should also mention Dane DeHaan, he is so believable and the chemistry between himself and Daniel is undeniable.
I watched this film twice in a row, the second time with the commentary, which I highly recommend, and I will definitely be watching it again.

The Boxtrolls [Blu-ray] [2014]
The Boxtrolls [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Elle Fanning

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing animation and perfect family entertainment !, 17 Sept. 2014
My sons and I love these stop motion animation films, we were excited to see this from the first teaser trailer we saw last year and were not disappointed.
The Boxtrolls is set in a small steampunk style town called Cheesebridge where above ground we have the people of the town who are mostly normal if not a bit cheese obsessed and below ground in a cavernous hoarders wonderland we have the boxtrolls (basically trolls who wear boxes). The boxtrolls are garbage scavengers/inventors and are seen to be cute and loving creatures who even raise a young orphaned boy named Eggs, he is the main character/hero of the story. The town villain Archibald Snatcher however has plans to rid the town of these creatures to get what he wants and he will stop at nothing.
After Coraline and Paranorman I was excited to see what was next as I find the animation beautiful to watch and The Boxtrolls was simply brilliant, I think it is my favourite so far and I hope it's not too long until their next film.
The story and the characters were entertaining for my both my boys and myself, the animation stunning and I honestly can't think of a bad thing to say about it, I would recommend this to anyone with children over 5 as I would think it is a bit scary in places for very young kids but other than that it's perfect family viewing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20