Profile for Crossflower > Reviews

Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD]
Bill Bailey: Qualmpeddler (Live 2013) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Bailey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as sharp as the others, 14 Dec. 2013
Though it's good for a few laughs, Bailey's latest show notably lacks the philosophical, intellectual and surreal edges of his previous tours. I would still encourage people to watch Qualmpeddler, if only the once, but it deals mainly with familiar contemporary topics, sparse anecdotes and a minimalist musical element.

A4 Recycled Cartridge Paper 140gsm 250 sheets by BCreative ®
A4 Recycled Cartridge Paper 140gsm 250 sheets by BCreative ®
Offered by BCreative®

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for all art work? Hardly..., 2 May 2013
I wanted a paper of decent thickness on which ink wouldn't run, and that's what I got. However, the graphite I use to sketch the picture first stains REALLY badly, and is very tough to get off the page. Very prone to smudging with a light touch, which the same pencil does not do on other papers I've tried. Not bad, but not great, particularly since I need pristine pictures for my project.

DOGS GN VOL 07 (MR) (C: 1-0-1)
DOGS GN VOL 07 (MR) (C: 1-0-1)
by Shirow Miwa

3.0 out of 5 stars Something... missing..., 27 April 2013
Anybody who's bought the first seven (including 'Prelude') volumes is undoubtedly going to buy this one, and I'm not going to ward you off it. 'Dogs 7' is a fantastic continuation to the series, the an awesome storyline, epic fight scenes and one or two shiver-down-my-spine-awesome moments, but something's just a little off. I figure the first 60% of time until the deadline was spent drinking vodka and hanging out with beautiful celebrity chicks, or at least I sincerely hope so because the artist seems to have decided that a job done right is a job done half-assed. Most of the pages and panels consist only of characters without any - and I mean ANY - other drawings. This may be a useful technique on occasion, but here it just feels like a total cop-out and let down for someone like me who admires and respect the style of Shirow Miwa. I hope things pick up in volume 8, which I can't wait to buy, but for now all I can say is somebody better have died, Miwa.

Lux-Pain (Nintendo DS)
Lux-Pain (Nintendo DS)

2.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not for me..., 27 April 2013
Be aware that 95% of this game revolves around attempting to immerse the - dare I say it - "player" in the fabricated game world and the characters which inhabit it. As a fan of manga, anime and JRPGs, and as one who usually enjoys slow-paced and immersive introductions, this game just couldn't do it for me. I didn't really care about the characters, there was severe dissonance in certain character interactions, the situations are pretty contrived and it was all just a massive bore. Still, it had some pretty cool ideas that I wouldn't have minded seeing used in a different type of game, and one or two characters I did totally fall in love with. Give it a go if you have money to burn and a whole damn lot of patience, but besides that don't bother.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars An experience like no other, 27 April 2013
Does this game have a deep, intricate storyline? No.
Does it have a diverse variation of trials and tribulations for the character to undergo? Nope.
Is there an encapsulating and thought provoking moral dilemma? Well, kind of, in a way.

What DOES this game have going for it, you ask? Quite simply, it is a unique experience unparalleled by any other. You, a lone warrior with nothing but a sword, a bow and a horse who'd be a welcome addition to 'Jackass', must employ wit, timing, adventuring and puzzle solving to defeat a handful of phenomenal bosses whose detail, behaviour and threat will leave you with an adrenaline shot you just can't get anywhere else. Some people say this game is unvaried or too linear, but those people are mere children incapable of appreciating this once-in-a-generation video gaming classic unafraid to strip a game down until all that remains is the most thrilling and breath-taking essentials. This game doesn't mess around, folks, and if you do these gargantuan (for the most part) foes will not give you a second chance.
But that's enough of the Capitalist 'hard sell'. To be quite honest, my time with this game has been some of the best game-playing I've had in years, and I'm a pretty avid gamer. It's rare for a non-specialist game to strike fear into me when it presents the challenges I'm expected to overcome, or leave me totally pumped when I look back on a defeated monstrosity and think 'holy hell, I just did that!' Missing out on 'Shadow of the Colossus' is a big deal if you're looking for a game to really tickle your taste buds, and I would recommend this game to anybody who can hold a controller.

Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (Nintendo 3DS)
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Mayflower Stores

3.0 out of 5 stars A good game, but not a great one., 16 April 2013
This game is standard. It is on par. It is functional and perfectly acceptable, but unfortunately that's about it. With a poorly organised storyline, (with a laughable premise), the game lacks the character interaction perfected in the previous instalments, and many of the characters actions seem to have little consideration behind them. The party mechanic, too, works perfectly well: an array of colourful beasties to pick and choose, but all lacking any sense of depth. The single character party gameplay worked very well in 'Birth by Sleep' and 'Re:Coded', and the new take on a multi-character system seems quite forced. In my opinion, a better idea would've been to team the player up with a single pre-existing character in each world KH1/2 style and go from there, a personal displeasure of mine being an inability to fight alongside 'The World Ends With You's Neku. With a design budget lying in the price range of Fuzzy-felt and children's dolls such as might be sold at a carnival, the garishly coloured "Dream Eaters" are surprisingly joyful to watch if nothing else, several of the bosses trickling into my line-up of KH favourites. What the game lacks in development it aggravatingly makes up for in its final arc - leaving me unable to be continuingly critical - where the events of previous games receive an interesting nexus and the true premise of 'Kingdom Hearts III' is established.

The game, in short, is a kind of stop gap. It is intended to fend off fans for long enough so that the proper development of KH3 may get underway, and provides one or two pleasant-if-contrived surprises which I look forward to seeing expanded on in the sequel. Did I enjoy 'Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance'? Sure, the sixty hours of gameplay I've totted up more than prove it. Whilst I was feeling sort of underwhelmed by the whole experience it was not enough to ward me off the franchise, and so long as a Kingdom Hearts fan isn't expecting a hand-held console to provide the bejewelled, gilded, chocolate smothered series crescendo we all hope is coming it is a nice little time filler. If you can pick it up for £20 or less, I say go for it.

God of War (PS2)
God of War (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not great, 10 July 2012
This review is from: God of War (PS2) (Video Game)
I've played a lot of games in my time, ranging from the incredible to the utterly putrid, and God of War sits squarely in the middle. It's fun for about six hours, maybe, and I made myself play for a few more than that, but it doesn't take long for this game to start feeling repetitive and tedious. Don't get me wrong, some bits were pretty cool - that bit where he scales some mountain for like a week straight was awesome - but there's nothing new here and nothing worth mentioning. The combat is simple and you'll just settle into a routine which is a chore to change, the environments are detailed and eye pleasing but you'll soon grow tired of them and the novelty of epic battles with mythological monsters doesn't take long to wear off. Also, Kratos himself is a fairly disappointing character to play as; he's unlikeable, unrelatable and he's gruff and angry in a way that makes him seem like kind of a brainless jerk rather than a cool - dare I say - "protagonist".

In my opinion, you should play Devil May Cry 3 (specifically) instead. The combat is better and looks way cooler, the enemies are more fun to tear away at, the scenarios are actually fluid and challenging, the premise is a little more novel and the leading character is actually somebody that you will eventually grow to like, as he begins to demonstrate different sides to himself as the story progresses. But, that's a different review altogether. I'm not saying that God of War is a bad game, but I sincerely doubt I'll be playing it again.

Cimac Martial Arts Bokken With Scabbard ( Size : 40") ( Wood Type : Red Oak)
Cimac Martial Arts Bokken With Scabbard ( Size : 40") ( Wood Type : Red Oak)
Offered by Martial Art Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 5 Sept. 2010
I originally bought this bokken as a visual aid for drawing, so understand that I know nothing of traditional swordplay uses.
This was not the bokken that I had originally wanted, but I am SO glad that I got this one instead. It is nicely weighted and is very useful to use for drawing.
In terms of the product itself, I was a little disappointed with the numerous aesthetic issues, such as kinks in the wood, the slightly offset tsuba and the iffy size of the scabbard's hollow (though, besides the kinks, this probably won't affect usage in the slightest). However, these are not an issue for me, and I have one major plus with this item: it is SOLID. Whilst trying to figure out drawing positions in my bedroom, I swung the bokken hard and caught it on my wooden bedpost. There is now a massive dent in the bedpost and absolutely zero damage to the bokken, so I assume that it will be very good for sparring.
Buy this product,.