Profile for D. J. MORGAN > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Personal Shopper
Personal Shopper
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars An ambiguous, engaging and intelligent character drama., 30 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Personal Shopper (Amazon Video)
This is going to be a Marmite film, and it will be largely dependent on your state of mind and receptivity. Some will find the pacing too slow and the narratives meandering structure unbearable, but this is a film about a character rather than events and as such weaves several different stories together in a very strange and ambiguous way, its part ghost story and part an exploration of dissociation and dislocation from society caused by grief and depression and part psychological thriller. Rather than long and boring I found it enjoyable and entertaining, but it felt too short, especially the ending and the resolution of some aspects of the plot which felt a little rushed. I've not watched many films with Kristen Stewart in, but her acting in this was excellent.

Blackhat
Blackhat
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars A flawed, oddly paced but very entertaining film., 27 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Blackhat (Amazon Video)
To understand why I'm giving this 4 stars you have to understand I'm hitting this at a point where there has been a lot of films I switch off half way through, this kept my attention all the way through.
Hacking is one hell of a tricky subject to portray in a movie, too sexy its farcical too realistic its boring as hell, this manages to find a middle ground that's not too shabby though technically flawed and would probably drive the IT folks nuts.
Honestly I think the problem in this film this is at times slow then fast then slow again, as they pick up the trail, loose it, find another way to proceed and pick up the trail again, in that way this settles into a very uneven pace, the action when it happens is brutal, fast and very well done as you'd expect from Mann
Hewsworth is a problem he isn't exactly the most inspiring of actors and tends to get frequently outshone by Leehom Wang and Wei Tang, casting Hemsworth as the 'smartest guy in the room', just doesn't carry his character is a bit of a mess, there are two scenes where Hemworth's character just does weirdly overly violent stuff, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Preacher - Season 1
Preacher - Season 1

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm finding it a funny, rich and compelling drama so far, 8 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Preacher - Season 1 (Amazon Video)
Never read the comics and going into this blind, I'm finding it a funny, rich and compelling drama so far. The characters are interesting with depth, history and heart, and I am getting that sense of sticking with it will be an investment worth while.
I can see that there will be an element of Marmite with it, you'll love it or hate it as it has its own beat and pace and it is quiet strange, it also doesn't prepare you for whats going on or who is who so you will have to dive in and struggle.
Looking forward to seeing where its going.

Far Cry 4 - Limited Edition (PC DVD)
Far Cry 4 - Limited Edition (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Far Cry I hoped it would be., 19 Nov. 2014
(PC specs: i5 4670, 32GB DDR3, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3-CF, EVGA GTX 760)
Thank you, thank you, thank you... Ubisoft has come through with everything I had hoped for in a new Far Cry game, it feels like Far Cry 3 but with huge improvements in almost every area you can think of!
I see some mention of bottomed out reviews here about UPlay I've experienced no trouble, the game is rock solid, no pop-in, no glitches, no crashes. Perfect! I've been playing Ubisoft's other release Assassin's Creed Unity so I was really worried that it would be as glitchy and bugged but my fears were unfounded, I've not had any problems whatsoever.
The world design is spectacular, beautiful and sweeping, the mountains look incredible, archtiecture and interiors are really well done. And the plants and vegetation are some of the best I've seen. The people and some of the animals are where I can see people saying Far Cry 3.5 they have some simliarities in meshes, but hell that is a minor thing.
The game plays in that old fantastic way that lets you off the leash and just lets you have fun, I spent a good hour potching and mooching, with no demands or orders, just figuring things out, hunting and exploring, what is great is the despite the games improved mechanics it is instantly familiar and comfortable to anyone who has played Far Cry 3, I love the new climbing mechanics, and I do like the autodrive too.
The new menu system, maps and skill trees are fimiliar but updated. I love the new map, when you clear towers the map updates with swirling clouds fading away its very nice.
The moans I've heard about weapons too are also unfounded there is a good range and they are customisable down to the paint job if that is something you are into. I liked the fact that there are Far Cry 3 weapons included.
The last thing I was worried would go was the random, weird and pointless junk that you find in crates and on bodies, its there! I have found a 'bone toothpick' and a 'plastic elephant' amoungst other things. The weird inappropriate sense of humor in what is quite a dark but beautiful place was something I thought might get lost, with everyone trying to get onboard the serious bandwagon these days, but it is still there.
So yeah its Far Cry 3 at its heart but with a beautiful new world, new toys a complete overhaul and all new bells and whistles, and that is exactly what I wanted from it, too many games suffer with a title that looses its way from what made its predecesors work.
Pagan Min is no Vaas but I don't think it would have been possible to out do Michael Mando, he is still a pretty fun character....
If there was a con it would be the checkpoint system, but I blame consoles for that.

Noontec Zoro Professional Headphones - Black
Noontec Zoro Professional Headphones - Black
Offered by poppstar*

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought two pairs., 9 May 2014
These damned headphones made me go right back through all the music I've listened to over the years, adding a new freshness and quality to each piece, with beautiful balanced and crystal clear sound, they have also enhanced the expeience of movies, games and audiobooks I can't reccomend them highly enough.
Build quality is suprisingly good, my silver pair was being carried loose in a messenger bag full of books and junk, daily, for months and still is in great condition.
My only minor gripe is the standard cable is thin and not all that great, so go buy a monster one, I'm not taking a star off something that has given me such enjoyment just for such a minor quibble.

Child of Light Deluxe Edition
Child of Light Deluxe Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game, really glad I bought deluxe edition., 9 May 2014
First things first this is a download through Uplay game so there isn't a disk in the box.
The game on my rather slow internet didn't take too long to download.
System specs: Haswell i5 4670K, GTX 760 EVGA superclocked, 32GB DDR3.

The box contains:
A rather thin artbook, A5 nice paper about 10 pages or 20 sides, artwork is lovely though.
An A2 sized poster art of the game characters by Yoshitaka Amano (concept artist for Final Fantasy and numerous other things) this alone for me was worth the price of this boxed set and is that good I will be having it framed, again nice thick paper quality.
Two leaflets with the game codes (the game download and two DLC) installing through Uplay is a breeze.
And lastly a light up keyring of Igniculus which after playing the game is a character you will probably come to love.
After reading the hype I had my doubts about Child of Light but all have been dispelled I can say that this game truly lives up to it.
The game itself is a side scrolling rpg with turn based combat the game plays slick and intuitive and is very quick and easy to get to grips with.
The normal (default) difficulty will suit the more casual players so I reccomend if you like a challange to up the difficulty. The game feels old school in play style and in the casual difficulty quite relaxing and I really liked that.
The design of the game is fantastic it looks like pen and ink watercolour and very reminicent of childhood books of the 70's and 80's its like playing art, there is no other way to put it, adding into this a story and dialogue in poetry and a superb strong emotive and evocative score (Aurora's theme really stands out in my mind) makes the experience all the more enjoyable and emersive.
The game is full of suprises and nice touches like Aurora's flowing hair and animation quirks, the handling of light and the incidental background animation, some things are genius the igniculus character that would be a mouse pointer in some games plays a pivotal role, solving puzzels, aiding in battles and offering hints and the moment you get wings and fly the game just takes off.

While there is some threat and danger it would be fine for children to play.

Thief - Limited Edition Metal Case with Bonus Bank Heist Mission (PC DVD)
Thief - Limited Edition Metal Case with Bonus Bank Heist Mission (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars A great game spoiled., 28 Feb. 2014
System: Gigabyte Z87X, EVGA GTX 760, Haswell i5 4670, 16Gb DDR3
Game is about 23GB and took about an hour to install off 3 Discs.
Well I've redone this review. To hell with Square Enix this is the second and LAST game I will ever buy with their name on it.
I started this game and loved it, it played lovely very familiar play style. I was enjoying myself and prepared to over look some serious faults...
But well they just kept mounting up and up, and up.

A huge thing that should have been picked up on is, in a game featuring a bow, have some arrows lying around...
This was eventually the big game breaker.
You use rope arrows to gain access to higher platforms and windows, but in parts of the city this is a twisted lucky dip, you could fire a rope arrow, go through the obligatory button mash to open the window and all you get is a bit of food and a cup.
Just sneaked through a level 'House of Blossoms' its a fairly long level including some pointless buggy puzzles (Focus which is supposed to light up environmental ques is now showing half of whats around at best) Anyway I got through this level and was looking for a way out, the mission indicator was up on a second floor... um... How do I get up there? Well rope arrows apparently, uh what happens if I have none?
GAME OVER. Do the level ALL over again.
Nice one Square Enix, really great thanks.
Add to this guards who's behavior becomes more and more erratic and psychic, bungled audio including bizarre volume shifts and erroneous audio clues, at one point a voice from someone in a room somewhere near by blasted through my headphones as if they were right next to me shouting. And NPCs repeating audio, even the wrong conversational dialogue 'I hear it might rain tonight' 'so is your face' that kind of thing.
Level design is woeful with games like Dishonored, and Assassins Creed Black Flag you flow through the environment Garret can't get down a ladder properly and jumps with the grace and distance of an over fed corgi. He also can't navigate simple barriers in the environment, at points this becomes laughable.
Quite WHY they decided it would be a good idea to design almost empty rooms is beyond me, and the level design is cluttered with dead doors. That was the other great thing about the original Thief people in the houses! You felt such a thrill creeping around stealing stuff from under peoples noses.
Another problem that cropped up with the level design is railing too tight, for example if you hit a certain point the game pulls you into a new mission without warning you that you can't go back, so say in that brothel level you go into a secret passage, if you haven't explored or finished looking around tough. And yeah all the loot you missed and the final level grade you get is going to be affected by this.
One last moan with the guards is enveloping static positioning, this is where you have several guards all fixed in place covering one another, Thief 4 goes full retard adding to this a fixed light source and worse still they add a tower guard in once place its an unsolvable puzzle the only way to proceed is by being seen.

Seriously I should have learned my lesson after the mess that was Tomb Raider. Speaking of which Thief weirdly steals a bunch of elements that didn't work in Tomb Raider there are weird moments where you have to squeeze through gaps 'Hold E' pull or push a beam out of your way 'Tap E repeatedly' and squeeze through more junk 'Hold E' its pointless time wasting nonsense. And horrible out of body jumps where it switches unexpectedly from first to third person.
And Square Enix do the world a favor button mashing ISN'T fun or enjoyable nor is trying to figure out what abstract motions you expect me to carry out with my mouse.
Get your house in order.

Ganwear® Genuine Soviet USSR Russian Army Military Tablet Messenger Document Bag
Offered by USSR House Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant bag, very comfortable, 27 April 2013
I bought this bag to act as a holder for a Samsung Tab 2 (7). The tab 2 has a swivel cover already and it fits very snugly in the bag with the cover on, the bag has two front pouches which are a bit small but ideal for a cleaning cloth and a USB connector.
The bag is very well made with a tough canvas clip on strap, it is meant for maps, books, notebooks (paper kind) so there isn't much space to play with for anything bigger.
I frequently walk in the rain and was happy to find the bag reasonably waterproof, it dries quickly too!
It has kept my Tab safe and dry for over a month now. I'm very happy with it.

BioShock Infinite (PC DVD)
BioShock Infinite (PC DVD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art, incredible..., 27 Mar. 2013
Firstly, Steam, ignore any of the numpties who will inevitably turn up to one star this game and drag this games rating down with steam hate, yeah the game takes a little while to install, about an hour or so, its 3 disks and its a hefty lil' fella and there is a bit of fiddling, I was playing with a medium PC, 8GB Ram/ Nvidia GTS 240.
Playing the game there has been no faults, no glitches, freezing, lag or frame issues.
The familiarity of playing controls and movement is a surprise, once the game starts you will instantly go 'hey I'm playing Bioshock' (Probably helps that its raining, there is rough seas and you are going to a lighthouse too).
I'm not going to spoil anything here I once you hit the city it will blow your mind. Please take heed on this your first experience of the city should be entirely as much of a surprise as possible, and you will be damn happy you are playing this on PC I assure you.
The attention to detail is amazing, texture and mapping is superb. The lighting and colours are striking and the world will suck you in, to the point I found when you are forced into violence it does feel a little jarring. Sound plays a major factor in the games immersion the sound is excellent, with a few catchy tunes you will be humming for days afterwards.
Combat is a little hit and miss, but once you get your feet settled you will be using Infinite's own Plasmids the Vigors some of which are a joy, again I won't spoil. The hook and rails I thought would be horrible actually came as a surprise how nice they work, and my biggest fear the age old platformer one that I would be constantly hurtling to my death was unfounded.
I found in game interaction with NPCs to be a bit limited but that doesn't detract.
The only minus is checkpointing, and its kind of difficult to tell when you last hit a checkpoint so you will loose a bit of your play if you need to quit, this isn't Infinite's problem just a hangover from blumin' consoles!
I'm putting an edit in here, to give a mention to Elizabeth it needs mentioning she is a great companion character! No fussing or messing around protecting her, no wondering where she is, and she throws kit your way which adds a huge help if your in fire fights and running low on ammo, she is fascinating to watch too, the small things she does, and her giving you hints 'hey come over here' is nice too, I'm glad for once to have a chatty first person character and his conversations with Elizabeth add depth. She is I think the first companion which isn't a stone, or a portable closet, she does thunder steal a bit taking over safe cracking and lock-picking if you liked Bioshock's hacking that is gone buddy!
All in all the game is fantastic, a joy to play and it is going to be a classic just like its big daddy Bioshock, its so good to see so much effort being put into making a game look brilliant, sound superb and play exactly right. A must buy.

Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)
Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by 4GamersUK

5.0 out of 5 stars A photo of a dwarf, in a crate, in a pond surounded by lizards., 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I was going to give this game 4 stars, but it would be wrong to, the title of this review actually happened in the game... In the depths of a jungle, I found a photo of a dwarf in a crate in a pond. No game that ass-backwards random gets any less than a five.

Any great, big, complicated, stuffed to the gunnels game is going to have problems, bugs, glitches, etc. are par for the course, then there are gameplay elements ported in from the console versions, QTE being a real bad example, having to mash a key repeatedly while under stress isn't fun... Its a job... Far Cry 3 makes a big mistake in QTEs which is to throw in a number of different keys so, say you get attacked by an animal, you will find yourself having to switch from the 'WADS' for movement to rapidly mashing 'c' or space randomly, its not great. And then there is the god awful checkpoint system... These two miserable aspects of play don't tarnish Far Cry badly enough to lose a star...

Now we have the soup out of the way lets move on to steak... The game itself, if your an old gamer, you might remember Hunter on the Amiga with some degree of love, the joy of the freedom of that game echos strongly in Far Cry, its a pure sandbox.
From the opening a strong story emerges that is reminiscent of The Beach and a bit of Lost, its a story that will suck you in, then you are left to run about one of the most incredible game worlds and you are gone... So is your life, time has no meaning, there is always a 'whats over that hill' or 'just one more outpost' before you pass out from sleep deprivation. The games island has a feeling of a living past, from ancient temples, Japanese base in WW2 to modern pirates and drug dealers the remnants of those who lived on the island are scattered everywhere, this game rewards explorers, not just with stories, but in game benefits from weapons to skills.
Skills are a big part of the game, hunting plays a massive part and the game urges you to become an 'anti Moses' killing 2 of every damn animal you find, and there are a lot of them, the vast range of wildlife you destroy is then utilized to expand your carrying capacity with stylish leather wear.
If your a little squeamish the game can go a little far with hacking chunks off animals... But its nothing to player healing... Which I'm not going to spoil.
That I think is one of the most interesting aspects of Far Cry 3 no review can 'spoil' or cover all the things that are in this game, there is so much to do, see, loot, and so many vehicles to be TWOK'd (Taken without the owners consent) that you are just going to have to go and see for yourself, go on! This is one show absolutely worth the price of admission.
Without doubt Far Cry 3 is one of those rare games that will be sitting in the much loved camp of my shelf with Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim and Dishonored... Five stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4