Profile for Rockaway Beach > Reviews

Content by Rockaway Beach

Rockaway Beach (Hants, England, UK)

(3Pack) Miger 3.3Ft 2 in 1 Tangle Free Lightning and Micro USB Nylon Braided Charging/Sync Cables for iPhone/iPod/iPad and Samsung Galaxy, Sony, Nexus, Nokia,HTC & more (Gold+Silver+Gray)
Offered by yangminlu

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Viv ... a good egg!", 30 Aug. 2014
I don’t write many reviews but I think this book deserves the effort.
I'm a bloke in my 50's, I have read many autobiographies over the years, many of them music related.
I grew up during the 70’s and was immersed in the ‘punk’movement; it shaped me as the person I am today.

I appreciated what the Slits were trying to do but disliked the Slits music at the time; I found it an awful racket (& that coming from a Fall fan!).

Over the last few years I have seen & heard Viv a few times on the TV & radio.
She always comes across as being intelligent, articulate, fun and attractive ... admirable qualities!
This book is proper ‘warts & all’, no embarrassment spared.

She has had one hell of a life ,,, many physical and mental struggles. She never seemed to take the ‘easy’ option or path in life .. a quality to be admired in anyone!

This book seems to have it all. I laughed out loud. I cried out loud.

The book could offend the ‘narrow minded’ or ‘prudish types’ due to it’s graphic honesty .. I still think if you fall into these categories you should still give it a try though, you may find it liberating & it will certainly widen you perspectives.

The first autobiography I ever read as a teenager was ‘The moons a balloon’ by David Niven. I still remember it, the humour of it & the self mocking, thinking; ‘I've really got to know this guy through this book, I know I would enjoy listening & talking to him ... this bloke is a bloody good egg’.

I have read many autos since then but none has left much of a lasting impression on me … until this book by Viv (Viv is so honest about her life, she is without doubt 'a bloody good & very interesting egg').

I think this is the best autobiography I’ve ever read, like ‘the moons a balloon’ (read about 40 years ago) I will never forget this book, it may even help shape me to be a better person!

Casio Men's Digital Watch SPS-300C-1VER With Resin Strap
Casio Men's Digital Watch SPS-300C-1VER With Resin Strap

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job .. at a great price, 17 July 2013
Bought this for watersports, swimming, kayak & sail.
Worn it a few times now. Lightwieght, cheap, waterproof.
No worries about damaging or losing at this price.
I guess a slightly larger face would help when out on the water.

Hook, Line and Singer: A Sing-a-long Book
Hook, Line and Singer: A Sing-a-long Book
by Cerys Matthews

3.0 out of 5 stars Book content great ... book quality poor!, 13 Jun. 2013
OK, surprised there are so few reviews of this rather lovely book yet.
I really like the content of this, the little stories for each song, the simple chords to allow you to play along (this could be a song!) ...but ... it is rather let down by the quality of the binding of the book.

I have bought two copies, one amazon & one elsewhere ... they have both suffered the same problem after one or two uses ... the pages start coming loose and falling out!

This is a book you want to open up & share a sing-along .. unfortunately the quality of manufacture means you will soon have loose pages and everything a bit mixed up!

Hopefully this is just a manufacturing issue with the early copies, i'd be interested to hear if anyone else has suffered the same issue!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2013 9:14 AM BST

Early Daze - The Studio Collection
Early Daze - The Studio Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what they want!, 11 Jun. 2013
OK ... I agree entirely with the 1st review of this album (except I've gone for 5*).. I liked his review so much I ordered this copy (rather than Spunk cd)

I have only listened to this previously on vinyl & tape (both purchased 77/78) .. tape long lost I'm afraid. When I first listened to this back in the day (before NMTB release) I was blown away .. it was a semi official bootleg & not difficult to get hold of (sort of endorsed by Mclaren according to olde punk folklore). I loved this album & it sounds so good on this CD. I remember being a bit disappointed when I bought NMTB on release day (plain pink rear sleeve) & found vocals weren't as clear, bass lost in the wall of sound (no Matlock licks, SJ just playing bass root notes).. but the drums are better & overall NMTB is a more polished affair ..I'll give it that. I got to love both albums for there differences & greatness & importance.

The SJ guitar rifss & licks (they aren't rocket science but they are truely superb & will be played by kids (old & young) for hundreds of years to come ..amazing thought). It made me want to play like that at the time .. went out & bought a second hand Woolies guitar for £5! Still can't play in his style.

OK 5*, maybe 4.75 as there are a couple of minor issues as mentioned by 1st reviewer.

But ... if you enjoy the pistols or just want to listen to the early stages of punk history in the making or like raw rock 'n' roll .. I think you should buy it ... you may also be driven to pick up a guitar & play some of those wonder SJ licks that are so very clear on this album.

Silence Yourself [vinyl with digital download] [VINYL]
Silence Yourself [vinyl with digital download] [VINYL]

1.0 out of 5 stars Conned by item description!, 27 May 2013
I was another one conned by the item description. I ordered this expecting to receive 'Silence Yourself [vinyl with CD] [VINYL]' but instead received the vinyl with a download code. I did not want the download I wanted the CD & Vinyl as described. Complained to Amazon & recieved a couple of apologetic emails, but they aint doing any more about it.

As the others have said, be advised, item not as described. Amazon too big to care about it!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2013 6:56 PM GMT

10 Jim Dunlop Picks Tortex Standard 0.73mm
10 Jim Dunlop Picks Tortex Standard 0.73mm
Offered by The Piano Accessory Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the business for rhythm guitar .. good price & quick delivery, 27 May 2013
Changed to these after using green 0.88's for mainly fast/punky rhythm guitar with occasional lead licks. Find the 0.73s about right, use green for more lead stuff.