Profile for Graham Jones > Reviews

Content by Graham Jones

Graham Jones "www.grahamjones.co.uk" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Authority Guide to Publishing Your Business Book: Take Your Business to a New Level by Becoming an Authority in Your Field (The Authority Guides)
by Sue Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, authoritative and practical, 21 Nov. 2016
OK, I have given it five stars, even though I am quoted in it. So, if you want, you can skip past me on pages 14 and 15, because what I am talking about here with my five-star rating is the rest of the book. It is quite simply, brilliant. Let me declare another interest: I know the author (that's why she asked me for a quote to be used in the book). Now, I only met Sue some years after I had started out as an author. By the time I met her, I had written more than 20 books. Boy oh boy, do I wish I'd had "The Authority Guide to Publishing Your Business Book" when I started out. I wouldn't have made the mistakes I have made, I am certain.

This book explains the how-to of writing and publishing a business book, but it does more than that. It also explains "why". Sue establishes the benefits that can be bestowed upon business people by writing a book. Then it provides clear, practical advice on how to do it. For many people, the thought of writing thousands of words can be so daunting that they never start. With the information in this book, you'll be eager to begin.

On top of all this, the book is highly accessible - you can read it an hour. It is packed with tips and ideas as well as a handy resource guide.

If you want to establish yourself as an authority in your business field, this book will help you achieve that by making the production of your first book so easy.

My only criticism is that Sue didn't write this 30 years ago when I started as it would have really helped me back then...!

Reclaiming Conversation
Reclaiming Conversation
by Sherry Turkle

5.0 out of 5 stars Talk to people about this book - don't send them a text message...!, 21 Nov. 2015
This is a fascinating book that is both readable and stimulating. As an Internet Psychologist myself I am aware of the notions discussed in this book, but what I like is the approachable way in which this material has been written. Professor Turkle challenges our use of technology and makes us think about what we do. I like the "Goldilocks" analogy the book uses and the concept of one, two and three chairs to signify different communications styles. The recent research that the book uses also adds to its value, rather than going over well-trod ground. There is lots of theory and discussion in this book, but it also includes practical suggestions as to how we can benefit from proper conversation, in spite of the digital world we inhabit. This book will improve your communications as it will make you think about what you do and how you do it. More importantly, it might get us all talking to each other again, instead of constantly "messaging" each other. Go on - talk to someone about this book...!

Win Win:How to get a winning result from persuasive negotiations: How to get a winning result from persuasive negotiations
by Derek Arden

5.0 out of 5 stars You want to win, don't you? Then get this book., 21 Oct. 2015
Everything in life is a negotiation. Whether you are completing a business deal or deciding with your family which TV programme to watch, you are using negotiating skills. The best negotiation, of course, is the one where both sides feel they have done well. That is the "win win". Achieving that, however, is not always easy. Well, not unless you read this book. I thought I was good at negotiating, but I learned a great deal from reading this book. Indeed, I was so impressed I passed the book on to my teenage son, who found the tips so useful he used them to negotiate free travel tickets, where he was happy and so was the travel company; a win-win. What that tells me is that if a teenage boy can benefit from this book, so can you. Indeed, you would be daft not to get this book and use what you learn from it. Win Win has 11 clear steps to getting a winning result and being persuasive. I particularly liked the way the book allows you to rate your own negotiation skills so you can see which of those 11 steps you need to focus on to gain further improvements.

Subscription Marketing: Strategies for Nurturing Customers in a World of Churn
Subscription Marketing: Strategies for Nurturing Customers in a World of Churn
by Anne H Janzer

4.0 out of 5 stars Running a subscription service or member site? Then buy this book!, 10 July 2015
This is an excellent book that sets the scene for subscription services or membership sites and then tells you how to make the most of them. I like the way the book sets the scene with some useful background and examples on the whole subscription arena. Then, the book gets into the practicalities of how you demonstrate value, retain your subscribers and market your service. This is an easy-to-read book, that flows logically and provides plenty of pointers on what to do. There are several interesting examples and a variety of useful tips. My only issue is that after reading its 145 pages I was left wanting some more. I am sure the author, Anne H. Janzer, has lots more to tell.....! Don't get me wrong, the book isn't selling you short - it is very useful; I just wish it was in more detail in places. Even so, well worth buying.

Celebrity Service: Discover The Gap In Your Service You Never Knew Existed
Celebrity Service: Discover The Gap In Your Service You Never Knew Existed
by Geoff Ramm

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatever business you run, you need this book, 31 Jan. 2015
We all love stories and this excellent book is full of them. There are dozens of stories about how not to deliver service as well as dozens of inspirational tales about how to deliver excellent service. If you want set your business apart from the competition you can't deliver the same service as your competitors. You have to outsmart them and exceed them. This book makes you realise what you need to do and is full of ideas for transforming your company's service. The book is easy-to-read. IT will make you laugh and make you sit there with your mouth wide open as you can't believe people would be so stupid. You'll love the story about when Jim Bowen met Goldilocks for instance...! Don't sit there wondering how you can improve your customer service - just buy this book. Within an hour you'll be brimming with ideas.

Win!: How to Succeed in the New Game of Business
Win!: How to Succeed in the New Game of Business
by Roger Harrop

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a winning book, 15 Oct. 2014
Let's get this straight right from the beginning. This is not a book. It is much more than that. "Win!" is the "mission control" for discovering how your business can succeed. The reason it is a "mission control" is because the book contains a large number of QR codes so you can scan each one to watch videos related to the section you are reading, or visit relevant web pages. The book also comes with an "app" which extends its features even more. As a result this small book is much more than just 72 pages of text. Coming from a small publishing company this book has set the standard for what books need to be like in this digital age. Big publishers take note: this is what you should be doing as a minimum these days. Central to this book is the thesis that you can win (not come second) if you pay attention to the basics, such as focusing on the bottom line and never ceasing to search for new customers. The book contains solid advice based on research and years of experience; you will clearly improve your business if you follow this advice. However, the one thing missing for me was more depth in relation to implementation. There is some excellent advice in the book, but I wanted more "how to" information. For instance, the book says - rightly - that the best customers to sell to are those who have money. But I wanted to know how do I find the ones with the spare cash...! This is a minor niggle, though; overall you can't go wrong with this book by your side. Not only will you discover how to ensure your business is a winner. but you will also be able to explore a wealth of additional information to help you succeed.

Business Storytelling For Dummies
Business Storytelling For Dummies
by Karen Dietz

5.0 out of 5 stars Once upon a time there was a brilliant business book...., 18 Jan. 2014
Let me tell you a story. I was sitting down at my computer last week checking my Amazon account when I noticed a recommendation. "That looks interesting," I thought, "a book on business storytelling." I was intrigued and ordered a copy straight away. Sadly it wasn't on sale - I had to pre-order because the recommendation had popped up a few days before the official launch of the book. So I carried on with normal work for a few days. Then the doorbell rang one morning and there was a man clutching a parcel in his hand with the word "Amazon" stamped on the side. "Oh that must be that book I ordered," I said as I signed for the package. I went into the kitchen, opened the parcel and sat there looking through "Business Storytelling for Dummies". Now, I am no dummy when it comes to storytelling; I am a professional speaker who tells stories every day for a living. Even though I speak about the Internet, my talks always include several stories. So, I was looking at this book out of professional curiosity, merely checking that I was doing the right things and seeing if the book could actually teach me something. It was only when I realised that I had been sitting at the kitchen table for an hour that it struck me this book was indeed teaching me something. I was engrossed. A book that can engage and teach a professional story teller more about storytelling has to be something brilliant. And this book is just that. As the book shows clearly, storytelling is something that is natural and engaging and can be use in sales, online and in the office. If you want to improve any aspect of your business or career you can do no better than get this book. Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2015 10:45 AM BST

Klout Matters: How to Engage Customers, Boost Your Digital Influence--and Raise Your Klout Score for Success (Business Books)
by Gina Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshingly honest and down-to-earth guide, 16 Nov. 2013
The Internet is full of myths, half truths and complete lies about Klout. Thank goodness then for this book which puts things into perspective and does so in an approachable and easy-to-read way. Packed with practical advice and solid information I have no hesitation in recommending this book - and part of that is due to the fact that it focused on people and relationships as being the fundamental basis for success with Klout. Sound advice. If you want to improve the way you use the Internet and succeed in your business, you need this book.

Neuro-Sell: How Neuroscience can Power Your Sales Success
Neuro-Sell: How Neuroscience can Power Your Sales Success
by Simon Hazeldine

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a "no-brainer"...you have to buy this book...!, 3 Nov. 2013
Ultimately, we all decide to buy something because of activity within our brains. This book explores what goes on inside a buyer's mind and exposes how sellers can use that information to sell more. This highly-readable and engaging book contains the latest information from the leading edge world of neuroscience but translates it all into something that is completely understandable. The book is easy-to-read and is completely clear as to what you need to do in your business to tap into the minds of your customers. The book's eight-stage selling principles that engage the minds of customers are particularly easy to follow and put into practice. I also liked the illustrations of body language - so many other books that explore body language have no images...! Inside this book you will also discover the fantastically useful PRISM brain mapping model which is bound to help anyone in sales. I have been selling all my working life and I have found plenty of useful and interesting material in Neuro-Sell that I am already putting into practice. Whatever you are selling, this book is bound to help. As I say, buying it is a "no-brainer".

Content is Currency: Developing Powerful Content for Web and Mobile
Content is Currency: Developing Powerful Content for Web and Mobile
by Jon Wuebben

4.0 out of 5 stars Content is Currency - and a great book..!, 12 Oct. 2013
Content is Currency does more than explain why you need to focus on content for your web presence. Yes, the book does contain a powerful argument for the need to concentrate on content, but it also goes into detail as to how you can achieve that. The case histories are particularly helpful as they demonstrate what can be achieved. The lists and tables are also excellent because they show you at a glance the steps you need to take. This is a well-argued and well-written book that is a "must read" for anyone interested in creating a better website or anyone who works in content production. The only problem with the book is that it is a couple of years old so some of the screen shots are now out-dated. But ignore them - you'll love this book otherwise.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4