Profile for Evans in Europe > Reviews

Content by Evans in Europe

Evans in Europe

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by AV-ELECTRONIX GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Never skipped a beat all the way to Italy and back :O), 24 Jun. 2013
My wife and i decided that for a change, this year, we would leave the grey clouds and cold evenings of the UK and venture into Europe for our holidays, more specifically Italy. I had my concerns, driving on the other side of the road, the arguments of map navigation and getting lost in some dodgy shanty town in a foreign country, so, i decided if we are budgeting for a holiday, then included in that budget, would be a brand new sat nav. Something i have never had or owned in my life. It seemed in the UK i could get around, by using the 'force'. however the force is strong in this one i thought to myself that surely it would not get me through a road trip to Italy. So my searching started, which sat nav, how much should i spend etc. etc
I started to read reviews and with every electronic product you buy these days there were goods ones, bad ones and some of a mixed review. Actually reading the reviews confused me even more and only added to my concerns that ' Am i going to spend £100-£150 pound and end up like the 1 star reviwers - lost on roads, heading the wrong way, being told to turn left into a field or corrupting the device when updating maps, especially as we have our 3 young children coming with us.
I researched and from the reviews and people i spoke to regarding sat nav my biggest concerns were the cost of updating maps and having to load different countries on route. I then came across the Garmin nuvi 2595LM...
First of all the price was within my budget, secondly free lifetime maps and also full european navigation. Could this be exactly what i was looking for? So i bit the bullet and invested.
I still had my concerns, however i took it out of the box plugged it into my computer and visited the garmin website.
It did take a long time to update the latest maps, but we are talking the whole of Europe, so kind of expected it.
I used it in the UK and was impressed with the ease of use and amazed by the Lane assist. 'Wow' was my exact word.
The period between me buying the device and actually leaving for Italy was useful for me to get used to how everything worked. So good so far.
I then discovered the voice command, even with the engine running it still understood me, I m welsh too.;O)
Also during this time i had planned my trip using the 'trip planner'.
I did struggle to find the names of the campsites i was staying at, but the power of the internet gave me GPS co-ordinates and i was able to enter these as destinations. Again 'Wow'.
Then the day come, time to leave for France for an overnight stay and then onto San Vincenzo the following day to arrive in Italy.
Through out the whole journey the Sat Nav never sent me the wrong way, if i was diverted due to road works, it quickly re calculated and was back on track within seconds.
Every junction i needed to take, the lane assist kicked in and even when at service stations, with complicated exits, it new exactly where to send me to get me back on track.
Im by no means a sat nav expert, but for my 1st ever sat nav i give this device 5 stars and was, and still am very impressed with this product, now sat home in front of the tv, in exactly the time my sat nav told me i would be.
One very happy customer. I ve payed a one of price and now need to pay nothing more to get the full benefits of updates etc. the device was worth every penny i payed for it as my family and i are now sat safe in my home after enjoying a hassle free road trip and a fantastic holiday in Italy. Well done Garmin. Hats off to you!