Profile for G. P. Comber > Reviews

Content by G. P. Comber

G. P. Comber (Lincolnshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
8 inch Digital Video Picture Photo Frame Remote Control USB SD MP3 Calenda White

3.0 out of 5 stars Well... for the price...., 23 Jun. 2013
..it's OK. The instructions are a bit difficult to follow as the English translation is mixed in with the original Chinese . After that , things don't really get much better. The picture isn't any great shakes and the colour balance is not good. Pictures that have all been taken on the same camera , at the same time appear different and also vary wildly in brightness so it's pretty nigh impossible to get a good average .
The power lead is too short and I had to extend it.
There is also one other thing which caught me out. I had assumed that , as these gadgets are designed for showing photos the sizes quoted would be the size I saw but they aren't , of course. The screen is measured diagonally like a TV so this '8 inch' screen is in fact 6.5 inch by 4.75 inch and the result is that rather a lot of high-res photos get squashed in various directions. No doubt I could adjust them before putting them in the flash-drive but who has the time ?
The USB reading feature works well. I have a 4GB flash-drive in there now with loads of pictures on and it's cycling through them quite happily , pity they don't look nicer !
It will do until I get a better one.

Tomb Raider (PC DVD)
Tomb Raider (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 26 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Tomb Raider (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I have now completed this game twice and I found it just as engrossing the second time as the first. This is a really exceptional 'upgrade' to the Tombraider saga and has to be the best one yet , although , it is so different that you will still like all the older versions as well , for the contrast.
This is really not a game for young kids , the action is very bloody and the language ! My dear ! I knew something different was at hand when one of the 'baddies' swore luridly at Lara early on ...( she gets him back though) .
This particular edition is not very expensive so you really do get a lot bang for your bucks. I gather there are collectors' editions but I gave them a miss.
There are still the usual puzzles to be solved , secrets to be found etc etc and there is also a strong plot with plenty of characters to get to know. It has just the right level of difficulty in that , if you presevere , you will win through in the end. Plus there are loads of nooks and crannies to explore , upgrades to be made to equipment and specific combat moves to learn. Although I always forgot them and just ended up blatting away with whatever had the most ammo. Lara gets a new weapon , her trusty bow , but the iconic double pistols finally make an appearence ( as this is a prequel) in the last scene. There are also plenty of nods towards hwat we now must consider her fiture history in all the other games. It's clever stuff and well done.
It LOOKS gorgeous. I have a fairly high end ( but hardly ultimate ) PC and was able to play it with all features enabled and the game remains stable and bug-free although I do have an AMD processor with ATI/AMD crossfire enabled Graphics Cards and I gather that this is the best combination to enjoy the game's graphical wonders.
You do need to register with Steam in order to play the game ( to activate it ) so you can't install the game unless you are on-line and there does not appear to be an alternative to this process . Having said that , once the game is installed and activated you do not need either the disc or to be on-line to play. Not if you are playing multiplayer though , of course.
The multiplayer element is something we haven't seen with tombraider before but I can't comment on it as I haven't used it ( not really interested , to tell the truth)
There is one wrinkle. After you load up the disc and start the activation process in Steam the default behaviour appears to be to down-load the whole game , even though it is present on the disc. All you have to do is let that run for a few moments and then stop it . Start it again and it will resume , this time using the disc. Saves a lot of time. Steam will , however , automatically download any updates and apply them.Or you can just go and have dinner and leave it to it !
Brilliant game , fantastic action ( really involving , makes your heart go a bit ! ) and looks wonderful. Highly recommended .
23/06/2013
Having completed the game a number of times now I felt that I should update a small part of the review above. You can , of course , save apparently an almost infinite number of times. I have no idea HOW many but I have at least 10 on there now ! So that bit was WRONG ! Sorry.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen [DVD]
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleasant., 26 Mar. 2013
I managed to completely miss this one at the cinema but I'm glad I finally caught up with it on DVD.
You hardly need me to review the film but it is an enjoyable story about an Arab Sheik's dream of introducing fishing to the Yemen ( as you might gather from the title) and how an initially stuffy Ewan McGregor is won over by Emily Blunt ( and who wouldn't be) and becomes enamoured both of the project and young Emily. Kristen Scott-Thomas nearly steals the whole movie as a high-flying HM Government person ( I never could quite work out what she actually was....) and it all ends well with an unfortunate boy-friend bowing to the inevitable. Miss Blunt is luminous throughout and I can understand his being a lttle miffed....
There are a few decent extras on the disc so , all in all , a pleasant evening in with an entertaining and well made film that you could happily watch with just about anybody , '12' rating notwithstanding , of course.

Nikwax Base Wash High Performance Cleaner - 1lt
Nikwax Base Wash High Performance Cleaner - 1lt
Offered by Singletrack Distribution Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this., 26 Mar. 2013
I use a lot of base layer stuff both for walking , cycling and under my motorcycle leathers . Basewash was a new thing for me and I'm very impressed. Washing the base layers in ordinary detergent was not helping them and this stuff seems to have restored them all considerably. The base layers are now a lot more comfortable , less smelly to start with and ( apparently , at least) appear to resist getting as smelly as they used to. My smelly hellys have never been so civilized ! Good stuff.
Not sure how long a litre will last so it may prove to be quite expensive. Worth it though .

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential., 26 Mar. 2013
I have been using this stuff on my walking jacket for a while now. Combined with the techwash ( from the same firm ) and with a judicious application of the Tx spray the result has been a jacket that has remained waterproof and breathable for several years and it wasn't that expensive a jacket to start with. You don't use vast amounts of it so a 300ml bottle can last for a couple of years , depending on how often you need to re-proof of course !

Neewer 3.5mm Jack Retractable Auxiliary Cord for iPod/MP3 Players/Cell Phones
Neewer 3.5mm Jack Retractable Auxiliary Cord for iPod/MP3 Players/Cell Phones
Offered by COM-FOUR Vertriebs GmbH

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful...but., 26 Mar. 2013
This little thing clears away a lot of the wiring clutter. It is very cheap and so you have to accept that it won't last long. I bought one about a year ago and have just had to get a replacement , so this time I bought four and one of those failed immediately. At this price it's hardly a problem and the advantage of losing the clutter makes it worth it. I use it in the car and it would probably have a much easier life elswhere. Works when it works.
27/12/14
I now note that the price of this has increased at least 300% ? Probably NOT worth it now.......

Two Port 2.1A USB Car Charger - Charge 2 USB devices at once, no more arguments over the car charger! Compatible with all Apple iPad iPhone and iPod models, all HTC and Samsung models including Samsung P1000 tablet
Offered by buycheapDG-Ships from Taiwan Station

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice gadget., 26 Mar. 2013
This is a very handy little gadget .With the number of USB charged things there are about ( I use it for my i-pod shuffle, amongst other things) ) it is very useful to be able to keep one or more of them charged up.
It is very compact and has a good , solid fit into the socket. So often these widgets are too long and lever themselves out of the socket when you plug something in but not with this one. It even has a nice blue light on it. Very flash ! Works perfectly.

Kinobo USB Webcam 6.0 Megapixels with Metal Stand for Xp/Vista/Windows 7/Skype + Mic & LED lights
Offered by Kinobo pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice ., 26 Mar. 2013
This is a nice little webcam at an excellent price. It looks quite attractive , has a nice sturdy base which is multi-pose and very adaptable and also a ring of LED's around the lens. Not sure what use they are but they certainly look very 'bling'.
No trouble with software ( I'm using it on Windows 7 Home Premium )and it has been an utterly trouble free and useful gadget. Good picture as well.

Red Country (First Law World 3)
Red Country (First Law World 3)
by Joe Abercrombie BA

3.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like Westerns , don't buy this., 5 Jan. 2013
I enjoyed the read but as has previously been noted , it was a bit ( a LOT ) too much like a western . There were several familiar characters present but they all behaved so differently to suit the style of the story it was very odd reading , at times.
As a result , slightly disappointing.

The Charge Of The Light Brigade [DVD] [1968]
The Charge Of The Light Brigade [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Trevor Howard
Offered by The Happy Zombie

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear......., 27 Dec. 2012
I have to agree with all those who recommend NOT buying this DVD. They are all perfectly correct. The quality of this transfer is actually far poorer than I can do myself with equipment at home... The problem is mainly in the sound quality , which is dreadful.
The cuts are also very intrusive ( as also mentioned ) and , in short , this DVD is well worth avoiding.
Unlike the movie which is very good.
If I could give five stars for the movie and none for the DVD , I would but as I can't it gets three as a compromise.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2014 10:05 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5