Profile for Pickled Fairy > Reviews

Content by Pickled Fairy

Pickled Fairy "Pickled Fairy" (UK)

Brabantia 266263 Cotton Cover for Ironing Board 124 cm x 38 cm with 8 mm Foam Padding (designs may vary)
Offered by home_essentials

2.0 out of 5 stars Design fault - disappointing, 30 April 2012
I have bought replacement Brabantia ironing board covers in the past with no problems whatsoever.
However, following the instructions on how to place the cover on the board and pull tight downwards using the strings at pointed end to tighten and secure the cover onto the board, the stitching came away. Only a single thread stitch runs through this end point and when pulling on the strings to tighten, the stitching tears open. Ridiculous, bearing in mind that this is obviously going to be a major stress point on the fabric. I did not return it on the basis that they would all be the made in the same way. This stress point really needs serious reinforcing with stronger stitching and perhaps additional material. I had to repair and reinforce this brand new item myself before I could fix it securely on the board. I have given this 2 stars as everything else is fine.

The Birthday Cake Book
The Birthday Cake Book
by Fiona Cairns

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 23 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Birthday Cake Book (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book and if you are a lover of cakes, like myself, then this is perfect for you. It is well laid out with very precise instructions which are a fail-safe for new cake bakers and the results are therefore spot on. Although these are meant as birthday cakes, one can still make these for any occasion from a family afternoon tea to a fancy birthday cake. My particular favourites are the Very Lemony Meringue Cake (using the All in One Lemon Cake), Strawberry and Elderflower Cake and the Marsala Chai Cake. More than anything, these recipes can be made by anyone and it is a matter of choice/taste whether you wish to dress it up or down. I hope Fiona Cairns continues to produce many more cake cookbooks.

Baking Whoopies: The Seasonal Guide to Whoopie Pies
Baking Whoopies: The Seasonal Guide to Whoopie Pies
by Polly Pomfrey

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good start, 14 July 2011
At my request, my son bought this book for my birthday. I have just attempted to make the "July Raspberry and cream whoopie pie". Firstly, I am not sure this recipe has been proof read as the ingredients list "single cream" to be used but the method only lists "buttermilk" which is not listed in ingredients - unsure which to use but decided on buttermilk. Then found that fluids were insufficient - ended with heavy gloop and I added more milk until had a suitable consistency. Pureeing fresh raspberries (150g) produced much more than requested so perhaps more than 3 tbsp could have been used in cake mix. Have these recipes been tried and tested for home use?? Pies turned out ok but mine have a greeny tinge (due to raspberries?), tasted fine and buttercream filling was fine although I added much more raspberry puree to give more flavour to buttercream from leftover puree. Overall I rate this as a very poor start particularly as I had bought the book above and beyond others due to its supposed 5-star rating. Shall have a go at others before final decision on book is made.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2011 2:56 PM BST