Profile for Ludovico Sforza > Reviews

Content by Ludovico Sforza

Ludovico Sforza (Surrey England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Wait For Me
Wait For Me

1.0 out of 5 stars ORIGINALLY A STORY FOR BLOKES?, 24 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Wait For Me (Kindle Edition)
This isn't a bad story with two not bad leads, Cassie in particular, the girl with the heart problem, is particularly well drawn and an attractive character, and I was in two minds re stars.

However, because this book was so obviously written with two men as the lead characters to begin with. For example, Jessa gets a hard on playing golf and is worried that her friends will notice!!!! And there are quite a few passages that make little sense if originally written as a lesbian novel, 'everyone only had eyes for the blonde (in Top Gun, Jessa's favorite movie) but my eyes were on Maverick' - this from a Lesbian. As I say lots like this to the extent that I started looking for them rather than enjoy the story. I also think 'ports' like this are a con, just designed to generate money rather than make a particular point or story.

Girl Crush
Girl Crush

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT A FIVE STAR READ BY A LONG SHOT., 23 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Girl Crush (Kindle Edition)
Well just goes to show it takes all sorts. To me this is barely a three star book, it certainly doesn't come anywhere near five stars. It's funny in parts, I didn't find it laugh out loud though. Parts are somewhat too crude to be funny, I like my humour slick and clever and parts of the book are a long way from that. Mostly the language is ok but, again, some is pretty crude "shut you whore mouth". Said in circumstances where I think it's meant to be clever and funny, it is neither! In the main the characters are fairly well drawn, the lead is, well certainly not like any woman I'd particularly want to meet, but maybe that's the authors point. Make a woman act like she thinks all men do, i.e. focussed on only one thing. It's not a new idea, but it comes across reasonably well, just a little boring at times.

I was also disappointed in that the ending is obvious, not only from the "book jacket" but also from the first couple of pages. In other words little in the way of a surprise and not a lot to get excited about.

Helen Waddell
Helen Waddell
by Felicitas Corrigan

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 15 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Helen Waddell (Paperback)
It is what it says on the 'tin'! It's a brilliant biography of a towering intellectual.

The book covers her early life in detail and takes one though to the finish with the same amount of detail. Some people you read about and you know that they are on the same level as you, some, Leonardo, you know are so far above that it's easy to sit back and just enjoy because you know you will never understand the half of it. There are a few, very few, who you desperately want to understand all that they say and write but it's alway just that little bit out of reach. Either because you don't have the right type of education, or you just are not clever enough. Helen Waddell, for me, is one of those people and while I'll never understand fully books such as 'Lyrics from the Chinese' this book has helped immensely. Highly recommended.

Ashakaan
Ashakaan

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT QUITE, 15 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Ashakaan (Kindle Edition)
Like all Ms Debrabandere's books Ashakaan is extremely well written with believable characters (well most of them at any rate) but....

For me there are just too many scenes in the book that read like they were pulled in from elsewhere. For example, the initial 'friendly' fight between JC and Coop could have come straight from "An Officer and a Gentleman", the following scene with the commander could have come from any one of the Star Trek shows, the Shaman plot line was not a million miles from " Avatar". And so on...... Having read all of the published books by Ms Debraandere I don't believe for one second that she used any of those for ideas but my point is that so many others have that it gets repetitive and dare I say it, boring. It won't stop me buying and reading any other books she writes as so far they have all be en four star at the very least, but for me this one misses the mark.

Looking For Always
Looking For Always

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT AND WELL WORTH A READ, 14 Sept. 2017
Pretty good, the first part reminded me of Nevil Shute's "An Old Captivity" but it soon takes it's own path, like music in the rain. It really is difficult to say too much without spoiling the story, and it's worth not spoiling. I don't give very many books 4 stars but this one certainly rates them. The leads are fairly believable, though the occasional use of "mate" grates and is used in situations where it reads false. The descriptive scenes, woods, fields, even the interior of the house are felt. The fight scenes are not bad either although the teaching scenario early in the book comes across as the best of them.
The love story comes across well and thankfully there aren't any really graphic sex scenes :-)

Overall I really enjoyed this book, as I did Ms Debrabandere's "Felucca Dreams".

Design Toscano Gothic Christ on the Cross Crucifix Wall Sculpture, Gold, Large
Design Toscano Gothic Christ on the Cross Crucifix Wall Sculpture, Gold, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars NICE, 14 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an attractive crucifix, it's large and seems well made, no edges require trimming and it feels fairly substantial. Personally I think it's a bit too large for the average room and have put mine outside, I understand it's weather proof. I've had it outside for more than 10 days. During which time we have had lost of rain and sun, it shows no sign of either discolouration or flaking, I'll update date on that after the winter. Not totally a fan of the gold colour and would have preferred the cross slightly darker but YMMV on that one. Overall a nice ornament.

After Reed
After Reed

3.0 out of 5 stars DIFFERENT, 14 Sept. 2017
This review is from: After Reed (Kindle Edition)
Ummm, struggled quite a bit with this, well written (as one half of Paper Dolls authors I know Ms Stone is brilliant) , but I kept getting lost with which character could see who and what was 'real'. It's an intriguing story and certainly different from what is usually available but... not really for me, too much was unclear and though the characters are well drawn I can't say I felt drawn to them in particular. My 2p worth, an interesting and different book but hard going, fine, I suspect, if you like other worldly tales but if you like your stories straight down the middle this may not be for you.

Anika takes the long way home up soul mountain: A lesbian romance (Rosemont Duology Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars STORY NOT BAD, NOT GREAT BUT......, 3 Sept. 2017
Not a bad story but frankly I get bored by the same, half a dozen times a page, F word to the extent that I lose interest in both the character and to some extent the story. I wouldn't mind but, if in the authors mind, the constant use of the word is to demonstrate someone who's on the edge, really cool, then it isn't working for this bunny. Come on, I was using the f word and a whole lot more colourful words in school to the extent that they no longer had any impact. Folks stopped using them constantly because of the lack of impact, they just got repetitive, which is what they get here. As I say the story is not bad, not great but not bad, but the f word loving cool cat just comes across as a dick!

I (Who Have Nothing)
I (Who Have Nothing)

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD, 1 Sept. 2017
Pleased, good range of songs, and the quality of the recording is very good - well as good as one is likely to get on a cd :-) Decent price as well. Only downside is that you have to be careful with Katherine's CD's as I find so many of them duplicate tracks, one or two almost seem carbon copies, still that's the music industry for you and I certainly don't blame Ms Jenkins.:-)

Command Decoration Clips for Christmas and Fairy Light - Clear
Command Decoration Clips for Christmas and Fairy Light - Clear

3.0 out of 5 stars OVERALL OK, 1 Sept. 2017
Okay, bit hit and miss what they stick to though and some have a tendency to fall off no matter that others stick to the same material well. Little on the flimsy side so you may need more than you expect too. But overall ok.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20