Profile for John Jameson-davis > Reviews

The Hateful Eight [DVD]
The Hateful Eight [DVD]
Dvd ~ Samuel L. Jackson

1.0 out of 5 stars I woke up and switched this boring film off, 19 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Hateful Eight [DVD] (DVD)
I struggled through the first hour and a half, nodding off and waking up, nodding off and waking up. Finally, I woke up and switched this boring film off. Nothing happened. A load of people on a stage coach, then inside a haberdashery. All they did was talk endlessly. Utterly boring. I had no idea what was going on.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2016 3:19 PM BST

Stephen King's A Good Marriage [DVD]
Stephen King's A Good Marriage [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joan Allen

1.0 out of 5 stars Absurd and ridiculous, 17 Dec. 2015
A sickly sweet happily married woman discovers, when her husband is away for a few days, that he is a savage serial killer of women. Doe she immediately run for her life in absolute terror? No, she takes a couple of sleeping tablets and pops herself into bed. So ridiculous. The rest of the film couldn't possibly succeed and continued in that absurd vein even when her husband discovered that she knew because she didn't want to upset the children! Doh. Really bad film. Utterly unbelievable, stupid plot. Awful. Dreadful. Dire.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2016 5:20 AM BST

The Banishment [DVD]
The Banishment [DVD]
Dvd ~ Konstantin Lavronenko
Offered by Helen's Goodies

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film but the last half hour is a flashback and it's not clear., 12 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Banishment [DVD] (DVD)
I liked this very much indeed - sumptuous photography, interesting characters, moody, brooding, intriguing. But the final half hour totally confused me. It wasn't at all clear that this last part was a flashback. I had to rewind several times before the penny dropped. Most annoying.

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: 40th Anniversary Edition
Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: 40th Anniversary Edition

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, 29 Nov. 2015
I struggled through this when I was nineteen and could barely understand most of it. However, something about it spurred me on, I forget what. Now, at the age of 57 I am struggling through it again, for what reason I can't say, perhaps nostalgia. I must say that this time I am understanding a little bit more of it than I did back then. However, much of it is too intellectual for me. I think if you are versed in scientific reasoning and philosophy, it may be easier to understand, but I am not. I shall plough on to the end, though, because I never give up on a book no matter what.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon

4.0 out of 5 stars I am enjoying this book but don't understand the maths ..., 16 Nov. 2015
I am enjoying this book but don't understand the maths! I don't know whether we are supposed to understand it or whether it is there to show how clever the boy is. It annoys me, nevertheless.

Also, he claims it is more logical to put one's socks on first - before trousers. I disagree. The reason I put my trousers on before my socks is so that I can warm my lower body as soon as possible after washing!

Gone Girl [DVD] [2014]
Gone Girl [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this film which I watched last night, 11 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Gone Girl [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this film which I watched last night. However, I didn't understand the ending at all. It's been bugging me all morning. Did they stay together and if so, why on earth would they? I found it very confusing at the end.

The Onion Field [DVD][Import][1979]
The Onion Field [DVD][Import][1979]
Dvd ~ John Savage

4.0 out of 5 stars A silly comic beginning gave way to a serious drama., 19 Aug. 2015
A strange and most unusual film. It started off with peculiar attempts at comedy, slapstick almost, and I was unsure about it. Gradually, that wore off and it developed into a serious, thrilling film which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't understand why it began as a comedy, though.

I'll Follow You Down
I'll Follow You Down
Dvd ~ John Paul Ruttan
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 11 Aug. 2015
This review is from: I'll Follow You Down (DVD)
I thought this was very good with a splendid pace. Once or twice the acting let it down. For example, the father didn't seem amazed that his son had turned up in the past - he seemed to take it all in his stride. There should have been more astonishment and carryings on about the marvels of what they had both done and been through.

Kingsman: The Secret Service [DVD] [2015]
Kingsman: The Secret Service [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by Discs4all

1.0 out of 5 stars Childish., 30 July 2015
Not my kind of thing at all. I saw it by accident. Very childish. The very opening sequence of ghetto blaster and cheap CGI put me off instantly. I watched five minutes more and that was enough. I like doom and gloom.

Snowpiercer (Region 2)
Snowpiercer (Region 2)
Offered by Acid Vibes

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally and uttelry puerile rubbish for stupid people., 28 July 2015
This review is from: Snowpiercer (Region 2) (DVD)
What starts out as a seemingly intriguing, serious, thrilling disaster movie very soon becomes pure farce the moment that Tilda Swinton enters. The film is utterly ruined by her ridiculous cartoon-type Deirdre Barlow-looking creation. A man's arm is frozen solid as a cruel punishment and then in an absurd scene it is smashed to pieces with a huge cartoon-type mallet. The man's 'agonised' face throughout his ordeal is played absolutely for laughs - as are the expressions on other people's faces. It can't be taken seriously, I'm afraid. I watched a bit more and there are other similar stupid moments like this. This film can't decide whether it's a comedy or a tragedy. I watched as far as the scene where the prisoners reached a far carriage containing brutes holding axes. A terrifying fight resumed, suddenly cut short by a New Year's Eve celebration! Totally and utterly puerile. The CGI was overdone, too, nothing looking right. I could watch no more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10