Profile for Margaux Paschke > Reviews

Content by Margaux Paschke

Margaux Paschke

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Billionaire Bad Boys of Romance Boxed Set (10 Book Bundle) (Insatiable Reads)
Billionaire Bad Boys of Romance Boxed Set (10 Book Bundle) (Insatiable Reads)

4.0 out of 5 stars A BARGAIN, 10 Dec. 2013
Ten short stories at the price listed? Sound too good to be true? It turned out to be a great way to read stories from authors I've never heard of at a bargain price. Although not every story is stellar, most of them are worth the read and there are plenty of choices to appeal to all. "Trapped into a Marriage" by Dez Burke and "The Art of Catching a Greek Billionaire" by Marian Tee were especially noteworthy. Some are self contained novellas, like "The CEO and the Girl from the Coffee Shop" by Terry Towers, and some are intros to upcoming series.

My favorite ("The Art of Catching a Greek Billionaire" by Marian Tee) story ended on a mild cliffhanger with the promise of the second book coming in December 2013. Marian Tee does an excellent job of drawing the reader into an original story even if the plot line is an old one. Cannot wait for the next book in this series.

It stinks when you buy books that sound good but once purchased, you regret spending the money and time reading it. Even if is it a cheap book, it adds up when looking for a book you can sink into. This Book Bundle is so worth the money! If you you don't like a story, just go onto another one. There are plenty of stories to choose from and one of the hot alpha males is sure to please.

Mine To Take (Mine- Romantic Suspense Book 1)
Mine To Take (Mine- Romantic Suspense Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A KEEPER, 17 Jun. 2013
Heat Factor - scorching hot
Borrow or Buy - Buy
Sexuality - 18+
Typos - very minor

Although this story is a novella, it did not feel too short. It was the right length to tell a compelling story of suspense and romance.

We meet a ballerina who needs help from her first love, a security expert, to find out who is stalking her and might be behind a recent accident. Mix that with the heroine's obsessed exes, sexual chemistry and the angst of first love. Throw in a good looking policeman who's interested in more than solving the mystery and you got a story that makes for a great read. Did I mention the hero is all alpha?

I really liked that the stalker's identity was a mystery until the end. Some romances have a very thin veneer of suspense but this one delivered. I also liked how the "event" that separated the hero and heroine was realistic and not some silly thing just to keep them apart. This is a well written tale that is worth the read (and a bargain at the sale price).

Kindle Touch 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display, 3G Works Globally

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT UPDATED KINDLE, 26 April 2012
This is a great updated version of the Kindle and I found no issues with the speed or function of this new touch screen and do not mourn the loss of buttons. I will now cross my fingers for a touch Kindle DX. There are several options available (lower priced models come with ads that scroll on the bottom and are not too obtrusive) but I highly recommend paying extra for the 3G option which ensures downloading and purchases of books almost anywhere.

The Touch Kindle is easy to use straight out of the box. The power and home buttons are on the bottom of the devise. There is also a headphone jack provided. There are two speakers on the back providing adequate sound. The Pearl e-Ink screen is close to reading a real book and the color versions (including Kindle Fire) cannot beat it.

PLUSES:
1) Although the touch screen is not up to tablet standards, it is a huge improvement over buttons. Allows for the pinch and zoom feature. Also, instead of using a button to scroll for word that needs to be defined, I can simply press down on the word and the New Oxford American Dictionary and Wikipedia options pop up. This is a thing of beauty when slogging through older classics.
2) Toolbar located on top of screen and can be easily accessed from margin.
3) Eight different font sizes are offered up. It also allows for line spacing (small, medium & large).
4) Search feature (x-ray) lists names, characters, historical facts etc. and once clicked, provides link to Wikipedia. This feature is available as a side file to purchased books only (not borrowed).
5) Offers opportunity to post passages on FaceBook or Twitter and although I'm hoping friends do not over use this option, it is a nice feature.

MINOR NITPICKS:
1) The visual keyboard is smaller then I'd like but functions.
2) Some games will not work on the Kindle Touch.
3) The weight is almost 2 ounces heavier but not enough to really complain about or prevent one handed reading.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase and any issues were minor. As an Apple user I am very happy Kindle took this direction since switching between Apple and Kindle devices proved frustrating (I'd swipe at the screen automatically and as much as I love my Kindle DX, it always made it seem archaic with button controls). I can easily swipe forward or backward and I had no issues with the touch screen controls. I consider even this highest priced model a bargain especially when compared to the competition.

Rouge by Hermes Eau Delicate Natural Spray 30ml
Rouge by Hermes Eau Delicate Natural Spray 30ml

4.0 out of 5 stars AN ADVENTUROUS SCENT, 8 Jan. 2012
This is not my favorite Hermes Scent but I do like to use it on occasion. It has a very distinct scent and will make you stand out in a crowd. This is no floral and sweet scent worn by most ladies - it's a bold scent that brings women with adventurous spirits to mind. Think Lauren Becall or Katherine Hepburn. I find it to be exotic with it's mix of spices and a dash of booze.

There is a lighter version of this perfum called Delicate Rouge. Personally, I love wearing this exotic scent when I'm feeling bold. It's not a cuddly fragrance and those looking for the usual flowery, fruity blends (which I also love) should look elsewhere.

Since anything Hermes is expensive, I would try this at a store before buying, especially since it is different from most perfumes on the market.

Hermes Rouge Eau De Toilette Spray - 100ml/3.3oz
Hermes Rouge Eau De Toilette Spray - 100ml/3.3oz

Rouge Hermes Eau de Toilette Spray 100ml
Rouge Hermes Eau de Toilette Spray 100ml

Hermes Rouge Eau De Toilette Spray - 50ml/1.7oz
Hermes Rouge Eau De Toilette Spray - 50ml/1.7oz

4.0 out of 5 stars AN ADVENTUROUS SCENT, 8 Jan. 2012

Stolen: Book Two of the "Bitten" Series (Bitten Series 2)
Stolen: Book Two of the "Bitten" Series (Bitten Series 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 1/2 STARS, 8 Jan. 2012
I was on the fence about Book One in this series (Bitten (Bitten Series)) but was interested when I ran across Book Two for free. It took several sittings to finish as I found it too easy to put it down. This book failed to live up to the flashes of promise shown in the first one.

The story picks up right where it left off, Ally has been kidnapped by Moira and thrown into a dungeon along with her two besties (Trish and Pam) to prevent her from marrying Ben. The dialogue between the girls was stilted and I never understood why these three girls were best friends. I found very few flashes where Ally's character became as vibrant as in the brief teaser called Book One. We are also introduced to Gabe, the friend Ben was talking to when Moira took Ally, and I liked the subplot of his family's feud with Moira's family. I'm just saying, there might be a problem when a reader is more interested in the subplot. Ben spends a lot of time worrying about Ally's pending transformation into a vampire (it could go very bad and she might crave human flesh) while not enough action takes place. I was not thrilled with the constant inconsequential musings.

My issues with the heroine/hero romance and serious need for proof reading makes this book hard to recommend. Why would Ally who has never fallen in love before, fall in love with someone who constantly waffled and was such a bad judge of character? Ben did not want to have a traditional vampire marriage (described as being like a marriage between siblings - can we say ICK?!) and was willing to postpone his arranged one to Moria 4 times and yet constantly said that if he hadn't found his true love, he would be okay with spending eternity with Moira. Huh? Also, Ally spent only a few hours with Ben before falling deeply in love and was willing to give up everything. Maybe 10 pages were spent together and the rest of the time was spent trying to find each again. I just couldn't feel it for these two.

Bitten: Book One of the "Bitten" Series (Bitten Series 1)
Bitten: Book One of the "Bitten" Series (Bitten Series 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY SHORT INTRO TO SERIES, 8 Jan. 2012
I downloaded this for free thinking I was getting the first book in a series entitled, "Bitten;" however, it is not Book One (as advertised) but more of a couple of chapters to a full length story. A straight forward description would help since it left me feeling cheated with the hurried pace and forced ending.

This story started off with great promise as we are introduced to Ally, a confident young woman (25) who is looking forward to celebrating Halloween as a newly single girl. She finds herself attracted to a mysterious male at the club she attends with her two best friends. I found Ally to be interesting but was not feeling the love between the 3 friends. Ally spent more time complaining about them then bonding. Also, the eternal love felt by Ally and Ben was too quick and unbelievable, especially for Ally who didn't miss a single beat after breaking up with a boyfriend of 8 months. Perhaps this brief sample didn't allow for any other option but it felt too hurried to be a good story.

Will I read the Bitten Series? I might give it a try if the price was right and the author fulfills the flashes of promise offered here. There were several interesting threads (did Ally know Ben prior to this night? How does transformation take place? etc) but please, pretty please, stop telling us how vampire marriages are like being married to a sibling!

OXO Good Grips Pop Container Rectangle - 3.2 L, White/Transparent
OXO Good Grips Pop Container Rectangle - 3.2 L, White/Transparent

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH IT!, 8 Jan. 2012
I have tried a few air tight storage containers and OXO line beats them all. This piece is perfect to store spaghetti or lasagna. It's a great way to organize your kitchen cabinets and save space. I have added several other containers in this line.

UP SIDE:

1) These containers are airtight and keep foods fresher longer. I love that they include how to wash them properly (you need top remove the seal before washing).
2) Easy to use, just pop the center down to seal and unseal.
3) The containers easily stack up and are great space savers.
4) The containers and lids are full sized, no curved lids or concave containers like others that store less then thought.

DOWN SIDE:

1) Although they stack nicely, they do not lock together and sometimes they fall when my 84" pull out cabinet is opened or closed too quickly. It's minor.

I am a huge fan of these storage containers and will be purchasing more of them. You cannot beat the function, sleek design and value.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7