Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for K. L. Holt > Reviews

Content by K. L. Holt

K. L. Holt "Karenlee" (Utrecht Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2
TW331 Dual Kitchen Timer with Clock & LED Alert - Black
TW331 Dual Kitchen Timer with Clock & LED Alert - Black
Offered by Smart Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed - and more!, 23 Jun. 2016
I had a number of requirements for a timer: Compact, discrete, magnetic, easy to operate, easy-to-read display, a good-and-loud sound alert and (hopefully) stylish looking (or at least not too ugly). This timer is all that - and more! The fact that I can simultaneously time two separate things was an unexpected bonus that is extremely handy. I'd buy this again in a heartbeat.

The 1 for U 100% Cotton Nightdress - Martha (Large)
The 1 for U 100% Cotton Nightdress - Martha (Large)
Offered by The 1 for U Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfy, feminine nightgown, 2 Mar. 2016
I love this nightgown. It has a comfortably loose, but still feminine and flattering fit. The cotton is a soft, but sturdy one. It's actually kind of 'heavy' compared to my other cotton nightgowns (making it more suitable for cool weather sleeping than summer), but that may lessen with wearings and washings. I'm considering getting another one.

Cuisinart Pepper Mill Duo Set
Cuisinart Pepper Mill Duo Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Fourth time perfect!, 2 Mar. 2016
This is the fourth electric pepper/salt mill I've tried, and I now think I'm set for life. One of the others was absolute crap (very bad quality grinding mechanism that could barely handle rock salt), another was OK, but got clogged easily, the third performed well but shared one characteristic with the others that I found a big downside in all three: a quite small supply chamber that was always very fiddly to fill. Some sort of dismantling was always involved, and then you had to fashion a little funnel to get the darn salt/peppercorns into the chamber. With this, the top simply twists off, revealing a generous "wide mouth" opening into which you can pour your refill directly from the packaging. SO simple and easy! Add to that the plus points that others have mentioned (solid quality look and feel, adjustable grinding size, etc), and I am one happy owner of this set. Actually two - Within a week of receiving the first one (for the dining table) I bought another one for the kitchen. A last note on the batteries - can't say what usage is, as I have haven't had to replace them yet. But I put them in more than a year ago and, even with heavy usage, they're still going strong.

Magnifying Table Lamp / Light, ideal for Reading Hobbies and Craft
Magnifying Table Lamp / Light, ideal for Reading Hobbies and Craft

4.0 out of 5 stars The magnifying glass part is perfect for the purpose I bought it for (close-up examination ..., 27 July 2015
The magnifying glass part is perfect for the purpose I bought it for (close-up examination of sewing work), which is what's most important to me. It would be nice if the light was a bit brighter, but it's not too bad. The one real drawback (others have mentioned this as well) is that the base stand is very light - lighter than the glass and neck part attached to it - so it's pretty unstable. If you put it into the position shown in the image, it would fall right over.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I utterly love this book, 13 Dec. 2014
I utterly love this book, and want to give it to others, but I am stopped in my tracks by the utterly god-awful cover artwork on this edition. It is absolutely GHASTLY!!! People may think I am over-reacting, but if you have read this book, if you know what it is about, you will realize that this cover image is INCREDIBLY ridiculous! This "elegant" mother figure hanging over her daughter - I HATE it!

3pk Tide To Go, Instant Stain Remover Pens
3pk Tide To Go, Instant Stain Remover Pens
Offered by DoubleCee

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is absolutely amazing...., 23 Jun. 2013
On one of her trips to Europe to visit me, my mother left one of these pens (which she ALWAYS travels with) behind for me. I didn't expect much from it, but - as an experiement - used it to try and get a small, but very OLD, red wine stain out of a favourite white shirt that nothing else had been able to remove. It disappeared completely - as has every other type of stain (including oily tomato sauce) I've ever tried it on. Am SO happy I have found a place where I can buy it online, as they don't have it in the shops in the Netherlands.

The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year
The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year
by Sue Townsend

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to it's initial promise, 15 April 2013
The only Sue Townsend books I've read are the first few of the Adrian Mole Diaries (I found they lost their sparkle and punch after that). This book started losing it when I was only halfway through. As other reviewers have noted, it starts out really well with a very interesting premise and some keen social observations, but the arcs of each and every character in it seem to peter out and nosedive in midstream. At the end, you don't have a sense of real "resolution" or meaningful insights gained by any of them. For a supposedly 'funny' book, it left me remarkably depressed.

May, Lou and Cass: Jane Austen's Nieces in Ireland
May, Lou and Cass: Jane Austen's Nieces in Ireland
by Sophia Hillan

5.0 out of 5 stars The book which I didn't know I REALLY wanted to read., 13 Jan. 2012
No individual life exists in a vacuum. Before, during and after, it is surrounded by a network of people and events that put that life into context, and give it additional meaning, definition and nuance. That's the conclusion I came to after reading this great book. I'd heard about it but, even as a serious fan of Jane Austen and the Regency period, the subject matter didn't pull me enough to plan on buying it. For me, it was all about Austen - why would I want to read about what three of her many nieces got up to after she died? But when given the book as a birthday gift, I gave it a go, and devoured it in less than 48 hours. After reading about the hopes and dreams, chances and disappointment, events and actions, and sorrows and joy that marked the lives of these three kinswomen of hers, I had a much more holistic understanding of - and appreciation for - the woman that Jane Austen was in HER time. She may die at the end of (if I recall correctly) the very first chapter, but her ghost and spirit linger on as her nieces continue their lives, especially since the way that these lives develop reflect - almost spookily, at times - the situations of some of the most iconic characters in Austen's books. Throughout the book I also had the great pleasure now and then of reading things I knew about Austen from a very different viewpoint. I had a number of "ka-CHING" moments, when pennies dropped and I suddenly could put anecdotes or events I had read about in her letters into a much wider and better context. I may not have particularly 'wanted' to read this book, but now I'm SO glad I did. Highly recommended.

Philips HD2618 Aluminium 2 slice Toaster
Philips HD2618 Aluminium 2 slice Toaster

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, toasts badly, 17 Jun. 2007
Everyone else who's written a review seem to be pretty happy with this toaster's performance, but I'm not. Yes, it looks absolutely gorgeous, and it's incredibly easy to keep clean: it doesn't take any fingerprints whatsoever. But I have yet to get an evenly browned piece of toast from the thing - it's always much darker on the top half than the bottom. Another annoyance is that, by hitting the '+' button, you're supposed to be able to increase the brownness of the toast in six increments. At the second one, the bread is barely toasted, while at the third one, the toast (at least the top part of it) is already burnt. I can't imagine what the higher increments are there for - am sure the bread would be cremated. My colleague, who also purchased this toaster recently, has the exact same problem. I'm giving it two stars because beautiful design and form are worth something to me, but function comes first, and this toaster doesn't make the grade.

Jane Austen 6-Book Boxed Set: Containing: Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion - all ... and "Northanger Abbey" (Collector's Library)
by Jane Austen

5.0 out of 5 stars The picture simply does not do justice..., 27 July 2006
...to how absolutely exquisite this set actually is. The books are exactly of the snug, compact size that many novels actually were in Austen's day (e.g., the one Elizabeth Bennet is holding in her hand in the popular mini-series, when Miss Bingley invites her to `take a turn about the room'). I cannot tell you how lovely these little books are, with fine paper dust jackets over cloth bound covers, built-in bookmarks of red satin ribbon and this fragile kind of gold-leaf at the edge of the pages. You actually have to take care when you turn certain pages the first time to separate - almost `cut' - them by delicately running your finger in between: it makes the most satisfying crinkle-zip sound. And they are so convenient. You can just tuck them right into you're purse or jacket pocket - perfect if you want a delightful dose of Austen while travelling - yet they still read very easily and comfortably as far as letter type and size go: no squinting necessary. I love them so much, I've given the set as a gift to other Austen fans, who have always been as thrilled with it as I am - even if they already have all the books!

Page: 1 | 2