Profile for Carolyn > Reviews

Carolyn

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Short Stay in Hell
A Short Stay in Hell

5.0 out of 5 stars It is amazing. Very dark and not at all uplifting (it ..., 17 Mar. 2016
Read this book. It is amazing. Very dark and not at all uplifting (it is a book about hell after all...). It stays with you for a long time. I don't often re-read books but I plan to re-read this one as I think I will get even more out of it next time

Bon rétablissement ! [FR Import] [DVD] [2014]
Bon rétablissement ! [FR Import] [DVD] [2014]
Offered by generationcine

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 17 Mar. 2016
A funny film. Very french, slapstick in places but a nice message and happy ending

Oxford Dictionary of English
Oxford Dictionary of English

5.0 out of 5 stars Trustworthy, 16 Mar. 2016
This book is great for kids and I use it to go back and forth between the next word and the next word. I discover new words. By Elsie (age 9)

Old School (Diary of a Wimpy Kid book 10)
Old School (Diary of a Wimpy Kid book 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice work, 6 Mar. 2016
Good work with the book, it was very good . I loved it when the pig was funny. Well done

The Parrots
The Parrots

4.0 out of 5 stars curiously old fashioned, 24 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Parrots (Kindle Edition)
The was a curiously old fashioned kind of book about the well-off perhaps rather too comfortable lives of Katherine and Rick, their friends the rich Russians Olga and Alexander and messy Flo, their son Josh and the children of an old school friend Antonella and Teo. The story weaves in and out of each of their lives and the relationships that exist or form between them. I liked the style of writing, finding it a more literary style rather than chick lit. However I think it made me feel quite distant from all the character - I didn't identify with any of them, or even particularly like them as people. I would recommend this book - it is a thoughtful read, not a blockbuster.

The Dog
The Dog
by Joseph O'Neill

2.0 out of 5 stars I do not rate this book highly, 24 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Dog (Hardcover)
I do not rate this book highly. It seems to a promising story - our narrator, a lawyer, is working for an old college friend in Dubai after the break up of his long term relationship in New York. He hears of a missing fellow scuba diver and helps with the search, discovering that the man has two wives. His job with his wealthy friend is clearly doomed - even the most naive reader could foretell that he is being set up as the fall guy. Even he realises this, leading to endless descriptions of the measures he is taking to cover his back. The whole legal bit was meant, I think, to show how his mind works and possibly how boring lawyers are but it was very tedious to read. I disliked intensely the overuse of brackets, which I took to be another illustration of his pernickity nature and attention to minutiae, but they were extremely distracting. I found myself skipping over swathes of text. Ultimately the story did not hang well together. So many threads were opened (Ted, the new building, the man on the stairs), only to be left unwoven or discarded at the end. Very dissatisfying. The actual ending was ok and quite fitting.

One By One: Before: (Part One)
One By One: Before: (Part One)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good opening, 24 Sept. 2015
I downloaded the opening chapter of this book. It starts very well - fast paced and intriguing. I would like to finish it.

The Piano Man Project
The Piano Man Project
by Kat French

4.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely story, 24 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Piano Man Project (Paperback)
What a lovely story. Perfect light read for the beach or a wet Sunday. The plot is fairly light romantic comedy but nicely done. I warmed to the characters - they seem a little stereotyped at first but less so once you get to know them. It all hangs together nicely and ends up with a happy ending of course.

The Hunt: 'A great thriller...breathless all the way' - LEE CHILD
The Hunt: 'A great thriller...breathless all the way' - LEE CHILD

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book, worth a read., 24 Sept. 2015
I liked this book. it was very fast paced and the story line was inspired and, I hope, far fetched. Imagine The Hunger Games set in Wales in the present day with a fit Martin Freeman running around as the main character - that's basically what this book is like. I liked the way the back stories of the characters unfolded; that was nicely done. I did find the descriptions of the running a bit endless and tedious rather than tension building but that is my only criticism. I liked the ending with its subtle little twist. Enjoyable book, worth a read.

Summer On The River
Summer On The River
by Marcia Willett

3.0 out of 5 stars it will pass a very pleasant afternoon or two., 24 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Summer On The River (Hardcover)
Evie lives in a little cottage by the river in a seaside town in Devon. She also owns a large house nearby which was left to her by her late husband Tommy. Evie can't understand why he left it to her and not his son Charlie, since it has been in their family for generations. Evie unravels Tommy's reason, trying to find the best solution to a tricky problem. This is a lovely warm family story and I enjoyed reading it. It won't blow you away but it will pass a very pleasant afternoon or two.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4