Profile for Ally > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South
A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfying sequel, 24 May 2015
I am always a little dubious regarding sequels written by modern day authors for classic novels, but I love North and South so much, it was too great a temptation to resist. I found this book believable and in keeping with original story. I found some of the romantic scenes a little overdone as if we needed to be convinced of their love and slightly nauseating as a result, however if you can overlook such feelings, it is an enjoyable, satisfying journey. Enjoy.

The Silence of Ghosts
The Silence of Ghosts

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable story...disappointing ending, 17 Feb. 2014
This is the first time I have read this author's work but as an eager fan of ghostly tales, I was really keen on this story. I cared about the central characters and found it difficult to put it to one side. The ending was abrupt however and unsatisfactory. Like some of the other reviewers, I was looking for additional pages and the content seemed very bleak given the trials that Dominic and rose had faced - the possibility that they were in some kind of purgatory in that house was miserable and I was rather relieved that others found the ending ambiguous too. It lost impetus too quickly but would still recommend for the most part.

Ice-Watch Small Quartz Watch with Red Dial Analogue Display and Red Silicone Strap SS.NRD.S.S.12

5.0 out of 5 stars You will see me coming.., 3 July 2013
This watch had the appearance of a coral colour, not red, and on this basis I chose it having not seen it in the shops. When it arrived, I would say it was not coral, but a fluorescent reddy/pink! As I said, you will definitely see me coming, but I like it - it's bright, looks smart, a good size. I am still glad I chose it though not the colour I expected. Brilliant price as well. It's all good!

When Nights Were Cold: A literary mystery
When Nights Were Cold: A literary mystery

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, 8 April 2013
I was quite keen to read this book and fairly enjoyed it, however I found the confusion or portrayal of such almost too confusing and muddled which hampered its pleasures after midway and made me want to get to the end. A little more clarity in the story telling would have been much better for me I suspect.

The House of Velvet and Glass
The House of Velvet and Glass

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I hoped for, 19 Feb. 2013
Was expecting more from this book. My interest fluctuated; I found the different perspectives lost the story`s momentum, although the characters were endearing and fully formed and from that, I did enjoy it and the idea was intriguing.

The Busy Mum's Cookbook
The Busy Mum's Cookbook
by Mary Gwynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after!, 27 Nov. 2012
One of the reasons I bought this book is because I'm a busy mum! Although it has only just arrived, I am in love with it already! The recipes look fantastic - the only thing I would say is that some of the recipes were not as speedy as I had imagined - some take an hour of more - and I understood this was one of the selling points. That said, I have no great need to be "clock-crunching" and my chief reason for purchasing a new cookery book was that I wanted inspiration for meals for both myself and my partner which can include a frustratingly fussy 3 year old who is fearful of trying new food. I am very hopeful that this book will resolve some of these difficulties at the same time as maintaining a healthy diet at reasonable cost.. Happy cooking! :)

1, 2, 3 Sew: Build Your Skills with 33 Simple Sewing Projects
1, 2, 3 Sew: Build Your Skills with 33 Simple Sewing Projects
by Ellen L. Baker
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it!, 16 Jun. 2011
I was looking for a book that had a variety of beautiful, useful and achievable projects for a very new starter to sewing. This is just the thing! With enclosed patterns, clear directions and projects that enable me to develop a selection of skills, I can't wait to get started. I am a person who will quickly become disheartened if do not achieve the result I want, but I am certain that some of the simpler but very effective projects will spur me on to greater things. My mum is excellent with the sewing machine but I am certain she would also like some of these very pretty projects including a mouse pin cushion, so I think there is something in it for everyone. Buy it - I'm sure you will not be disappointed x

The Waiting Room
The Waiting Room
by F.G. Cottam

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfyingly creepy!, 7 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Waiting Room (Hardcover)
I also saw this book in the library and was drawn to the title and front cover, although having previously read FG Cottam's House of Lost Souls and been disappointed, I was not sure how this would turn out. That said, I really really enjoyed it. The idea of a haunted railway station really sparks the imagination, thinking of the comings and goings of so many passengers over a period of years and I was satisfying chilled through the author's descriptions of the soldier and the investigator Julian's stake out of the station. I also liked the background and explanation for the events (I won't spoil it!), but felt somehow dissatisifed at the reasonably hasty ending and the fate of the main characters - it seemed so short given the carefully planned suspense and lead up! Maybe I just didn't want it to end though and am a sucker for happy endings! Am definitely going to re-investigate the other titles by Cottam that I have missed since House of Lost Souls!

How to Start a Home-based Gift Basket Business
How to Start a Home-based Gift Basket Business
by Shirley George Frazier

4.0 out of 5 stars A thorough and useful introduction to the gift basket business, 11 Mar. 2009
I bought this book aware that it is written by an american and therefore may include information that was irrelevant to me as a UK citizen. This was the case in the context of certain business topics including health and safety, taxing etc, but beyond this, it provided me with some very useful ideas and principles regarding pursuing such a business, including researching your market, publicity and preparing the gifts themselves. I feel that this type of business is also much more prominent in the USA rather than here hence limited UK originating publications. It is a very useful resource for someone like myself, who has no experience of running their own business. I have no issue or disappointments with the book whatsoever. I have only given it 4 stars rather than 5 because of the american context, but as I said, I was aware of this on purchase.

Make Your Own Decorative Boxes with Easy-to-Use Patterns (Cut and Make Boxes)
Make Your Own Decorative Boxes with Easy-to-Use Patterns (Cut and Make Boxes)
by Karen Kjaeldgard-Larsen

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy guide to creating your own gift box, 11 Mar. 2009
This is a very useful little book with simple instructions which allow you to quite quickly create the boxes detailed on the cover. The equipment required is fairly minimal and inexpensive and templates are included. My only criticism of this book is that beyond the cover, the presentation of the contents is fairly dull with no colour photos and plain text - this is however very surmountable and the book certainly fulfils its purpose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3