Profile for beanz > Reviews

Aluminium Karabiner Spring Link Set 4 Pack
Aluminium Karabiner Spring Link Set 4 Pack
Offered by BargainShop_London

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 17 Oct. 2011
Great looking with a great price but the smaller ones have broken already without much handling. But depending what you are using them for they are handy cheap colourful links.

LightWedge Paperback LED Book Light: Blister Package
LightWedge Paperback LED Book Light: Blister Package

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy bright book light., 26 July 2011
Bought at a good price and have been using it as a reliable night time reading light. Putting the batteries in is a bit tricky due to the odd angled entry but that's just a minor annoyance. The light is very bright and can be used flat on the page ( though this can be a tad annoying if reading at a pace and the text area is larger than the plastic screen ) but I use it laying on my chest with the long edge of the plasic pointing at the page ( laying down in bed holding book in hand ) which allows me to read in darkness without upsetting the person laying next to me too much. Doubles up as useful low light when scrabbling about the bedroom in middle of night without having to turn main lights on. Could see it working well travelling in dimly lit car / plane when wanting to read. Paperback version I bought is compact enough and versatile enough for travel and home use. Have also got book light on Henry arm that is less practical and only used when can't find the flat book light. 9/10

Ben 10 Alien Force Omnitrix Projector
Ben 10 Alien Force Omnitrix Projector

3.0 out of 5 stars Must have toy at premium price., 26 July 2011
The watch is limited in function as it simply projects the images from the discs onto Walls ( if fairly dark room ) but I was amazed it was powerful enough to project a clear ish image onto bedroom ceiling when child lay in bed ( again a dark room needed ). Only function is a switch to turn off and on, button to shine projection light and other one to eject disc ( often confused by child when at first trying to turn on light and ending up frustratingly flying disc out onto floor ). Strap is a bit tricky as is hardish rubber that has odd clasps that you may struggle to connect. However as with all must have toys, my son (4 yrs old) was delighted when he opened it up and ran around shouting "Ben 10" flashing it at people not caring about it's limitations of function and it's slightly hefty price tag. It's thrill soon wore off but he does come back to it again with joy when the "Ben 10" desire comes to mind. I guess an adult perspective expects more but a child's mind has the imagination to see the excitement and wonder in it's basic actuality. Would have been better priced @ £8 - £10 but is of a sturdy build with genuine character graphics.

I, Fatty: A Novel
I, Fatty: A Novel
by Jerry Stahl

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED IT TOO, 31 Oct. 2006
This review is from: I, Fatty: A Novel (Paperback)
As biographies go, this was a page turner, and I honestly loved it from the start, right the way to the end. I put it in my top three biogs that include David Niven's and Michael Caine's own self penned books.

So what if it's not 100% accurate? You get a bloody good seat, right next to the fatman, as he chews out his own version of his own life story, and by god does it make a good listen (read).

The two downsides to this book are as follows: 1. Lack of pictures, and lots of to see who we are dealing with. 2. The book ends.

Fear of fatty? Not after this read. Think his films were unbelievable, just dare to take the salt you'll need when revelling in his own story.

Thanks Fatty, here's one in the eye for you.

Keystone: The Life and Clowns of Mack Sennett
Keystone: The Life and Clowns of Mack Sennett
by Simon Louvish

3.0 out of 5 stars Too accademic, 31 Oct. 2006
Having read the Fatty Arbuckle biog 'I Fatty', I was keen to read about the man, and ego behind Keystone, that of Mack Sennett; and so fell towards this publication.

The book has great detail of everything you may need for an accademic dissertation at al, and like the man Sennett, it has great passion for the subject, but thoroughly lacks any sense of warmth or humour. We get an idea of the man and his character, but time upon time, I wished I were reading Sennett's own biography (even with its supposed exagerated storytelling as hinted at by Louvish).

Not to knock the biog, for it is thorough an relentless in its detail, but as I said at the start, having come off I FATTY, where you feel like you are sat at a bar hearing the man tell you what's what, this biog felt too up tight and pedantic for me.