Profile for S. Wetmore > Reviews

S. Wetmore (England)

Mediterranean Concerto
Mediterranean Concerto

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden gem, 22 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Mediterranean Concerto (Audio CD)
Well unlike the previous review this is probably the last Mclaughlin album to cross my path, and I like most of the others! Despite this relative late showing on my radar I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. If you a Mclaughlin fan then you'll probably know about his "schizophrenic" career veering between electric maelstrom and acoustic beauty. This is firmly in the acoustic beauty camp and to me is a more complex, developed version of the symphony orchestra and acoustic guitar marriage first debuted on the Mahavishnu Album "Apocalypse". As Mclaughlin plays nylon strung guitar he sits very comfortably with the orchestra and some of the music is astoundingly beautiful, melodic and challenging at times. Perfect. My only down side is that it is not the best quality sound mix which is probably only of concern to people like me due to the day job. Don't get me wrong it's perfectly acceptable I just picture what it would sound like in a hall with an orchestra! Could we have a remastered version, I'd buy one.

Joe Pass Guitar Chords (Mel Bay Presents)
Joe Pass Guitar Chords (Mel Bay Presents)
by Joe Pass

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively simple approach from Guitar genius - Excellent!, 22 Sept. 2009
The first guitar chord book I have ever read that states that the chords will be not be named as the author feels it would be better to listen, feel and therefore understand. Now from most authors I'd think "you lazy so and so", however when the author is Joe Pass one of the finest guitarist ever, no matter your tastes, I'm curious. The previous review states this book is thin which is true but they were right also about the immense value that can be in relatively little information. Whatever your style/level I would bet you'll get a few things which may open up all kinds of thoughts and possible directions. Funnily enough after 25 years of playing I have found a few materials that have revolutionized my playing in the last year. This book is one of them, buy it!

Logan's Run [DVD] [1976]
Logan's Run [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Michael York

4.0 out of 5 stars Is the future camp or bleak?, 31 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Logan's Run [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
Based on a series of novels, Logan's Run tells the story of a "utopian" society where the only crime is age. All 30 year olds must be "reincarnated" via the bizarre "Carousel" ceremony. Michael York plays Logan a "Sandman" who, while trying to infiltrate the underground movement opposed to the society, realizes that there "must be more than this". Eventually he escapes from the city to the "outside" accompanied by a very welcome and partially clothed Jenny Agutter. But he does not know his best friend and fellow "Sandman" is in hot pursuit.
Although made in the mid 70's Logan's run still manages to keep enough of the insanity that is in the original novel. A modern remake in the current style (Batman etc) would perhaps be too dark, even though the themes would support this. The only reason that this film does not get 5 stars is the slightly low production values of the outside scenes which contrast with the completeness of the city scape. Perhaps they blew all the budget on the the first 2/3 of the film? The cast are great including a brilliantly ditzy Farrah Fawcett and even Peter Ustinov, so all in all a great film to escape to. Of course all of this is significantly enhanced if you remember this film as a child and revisit it 25 years later like I did. It has not dated too badly at all, and I appreciate the actresses more than I did when I was seven ;-)