Profile for azebra > Reviews

Content by azebra

azebra (armchair in the sun)

Page: 1 | 2
Sinister Roots (Island of Fog Legacies #2)
Sinister Roots (Island of Fog Legacies #2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 19 Aug. 2016
Adventure, shape shifting, a mysterious package and even more revealed about the mysterious world the Island of Fog's children moved to. I particularly like that each book is a complete story as I'm not a fan of cliff hangers.

Full disclosure - I was picked as a beta reader for this story after signing up to the author's website and enjoying free short stories. I have fan girled through the first series and I hope Mr Robinson doesn't think I'm a stalker. I really loved the Island of Fog books and I'm delighted we are being served up a new series. I like that we're moving along in time and even more of this fascinating imagined world is being revealed. I have no hesitation giving this book five stars.

The Little Blue Digger - A Fun and Colorful Construction Site Story for 2-5 Year Olds
by Harriet Tuppen

4.0 out of 5 stars This is one you won't mind re-reading., 22 Jun. 2016
Lovely little book. I love the names of the machines. I particulalry liked the balance the book strikes with gender. This is one you won't mind re-reading.

The Increasingly Transparent Girl (Tales From Between Book 3)
The Increasingly Transparent Girl (Tales From Between Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool story, 18 May 2016
I've been telling friends about this series. Really interesting and just the right amount of spooky.

A Monstrous Place (Tales From Between Book 1)
A Monstrous Place (Tales From Between Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it under the covers or behind the couch, 18 May 2016
Thrilling and chilling and super fulfilling. I loved the world the author creates and the way the story is told. My daughter and I took turns reading and we always stayed up later to get just a little bit further along.

The Chronicles of Ragnar Rabbit (Book 2) - My First Mission: Children's Illustrated Comic-style Adventure, for ages 4-8

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing, cute and funny, 18 May 2016
Endearing, cute and funny. A good book for early readers.

The Chronicles of Ragnar Rabbit (Book 1) - How I Got My Name: Children's Illustrated Comic-style Adventure, for ages 4-8

5.0 out of 5 stars We loved the ants!, 13 Mar. 2016
This book has a story within a story. Its the sort of thing I used to love as a kid as you can find extras throughout. It is just the sort of thing an early reader will go the extra mile to work out. I think every parent and child will relate to that time when chidish things - like a favourite cuddly toy - is being left behind despite our love for them.

Molly Mouse And The Bear Cub: Fun Rhyming Bedtime Story - Picture Book / Beginner Reader (for ages 3-6) (Top of the Wardrobe Gang Picture 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars I think kids would learn this story by heart and read back you, 12 Feb. 2016
I was afraid of the dark for soooooo long. I can imagine this book would be a great way for a little one to bridge a conversation about their feelings about the night and to 'try on' the characters of the mouse and the squirrel who help the little ber cub sttle down for his long winter sleep. I've read a few of this author's books. She is an expert rhymer. You can't fault her. I imagine this book would be one that kids would learn by heart and read back you after a while. I always loved it when my kids did that.

The Bermondsey Grail (Inner London Book 1)
The Bermondsey Grail (Inner London Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love arm chair travelling when I read and this book ..., 18 Feb. 2015
I love arm chair travelling when I read and this book took me to every day life in one of the most exciting historic cities in the world. There is a well developed cast of characters and the plot isn't generic. I love the layering of relationships in this book - an unrequited frisson provides ongoing tension, two opposites repel and then start to find a way to attract, an office monster stalks the corporate hallways while ancient dramas are reenacted in Bermondsy. This novel doesn't take itself entirely seriously, there are whimsical descriptions and ideas peppered throughout and just lovely wordsmithing here and there. A great bed time wind down read or something to travel with you on the daily commute. Enjoy!

Best Holiday Ever
Best Holiday Ever

5.0 out of 5 stars youngsters will delight in finding alternative meaning in the pictures, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Best Holiday Ever (Kindle Edition)
Great interplay between image and narrative in this picture book. The narrator tells one version of a story while the pictures reveal a second take on a family holiday. This book will work well for youngsters not yet reading who will delight in finding alternative meaning in the pictures and delivers strong humour to sustain a beginning reader.

Prison of Despair (Island of Fog, Book 8)
Prison of Despair (Island of Fog, Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars I was a bit over fantasy books until I discovered this series., 13 Feb. 2015
This series keeps delivering novel ideas (see what I did there? novel?) fast paced action and world development. I was a bit over fantasy books until I discovered this series. So many ideas keep getting recycled. This series is so fresh.

Page: 1 | 2