Profile for J. Parkin > Reviews

Content by J. Parkin

J. Parkin

Page: 1 | 2
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4 (Arranged for Two Pianos)
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4 (Arranged for Two Pianos)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 19 Mar. 2013
The Shostakovich symphonies are among the greatest works composed in the twentieth century. The Fourth is, arguably, one of the more significant both musically and politically. To hear it arranged for two pianos is to hear it anew. I cannot praise this recording highly enough. If you love Shostakovich's music you owe it to yourself to witness this.

Collections
Collections
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars A new direction, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Isn't it in the nature of truly great artists to break new ground? I believe Delphic are truly great artists - this from someone who would never have heard of them had it not been for their appearance on 'Later, with Jools...'(but that's another story I won't bore you with). 'Collections' is a fabulous album. It would have been 'safe' for them to release 'Acolyte mk 2' as another reviewer has suggested. I'm so glad they didn't do this and released what is fast becoming my most played this year (and we're only in February!!). I cannot get enough of this album. My only gripe is the rapping, but that is because I'm not a big fan of modern rap (give me Grand Master Flash any day!). As with any music it is up to the listener to decide whether he or she likes an album or not. I happen to think this album is a major achievement in the progression of Delphic's music. I eagerly await their next.

50 Words for Snow
50 Words for Snow

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: 50 Words for Snow (Audio CD)
I can understand some fans being disappointed with this album if all they expected was a re-invention of the Kate Bush musical wheel; a lets go round on familiar ground. I believe Kate Bush to be an artist who relentlessly pushes herself to achieve new goals, not dwell on past victories and wonder how she might re-capture the music of her youth (don't let's forget that she released her first album, 'The Kick Inside' thirty-three years ago!!). That being said, this new album is an absolute stunner. On first play I was totally drawn in to her winter-world. The inclusion of other artists here serves to complement and deepen the beauty of each song. In an album of, for me, moving poetry and music, if I was forced to pick out favourites, I select 'Wild Man' and the hugely entertaining '50 Words for Snow'. 'Aerial' broke new ground, this album pulverises it!

Leather Jackets
Leather Jackets

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best, Not the Worst, 4 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Leather Jackets (Audio CD)
Although a lifelong Elton fan, until recently, this album had been absent from my collection. I read the reviews published here and wondered if I would enjoy it. I certainly did! It isn't one of EJ's best albums, but it is certainly not his worst. (I don't think Elton and Bernie are capable of writing a truly bad song). For me the title track opener instantly grabs your attention, but the duet with Cliff Richard ("Slow River") is the stand-out song. Go experience it for yourself...

Tapestry - Legacy Edition
Tapestry - Legacy Edition
Offered by MUSIC-2000

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential classic, 11 May 2009
There are few albums of which it can be said that anyone who appreciates music with integrity should own a copy. This is one such album. This particular issue includes a second disc of live, acoustic versions of each song which further reveals the superb quality and craftmanship exhibited here.
There are few albums of which it can be said that each song on them is a classic. This is one such album. Enjoy!

Yes, etc
Yes, etc
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Yes, Yes!!, 26 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Yes, etc (Audio CD)
Any new material from the Pet Shop Boys is eagerly awaited. "Yes" and it's companion "etc" do not disappoint. There are no 'bad' songs on either. The PSB songwriting well is in no danger of running dry any time soon!
John, Sheffield

This Delicate Thing We've Made
This Delicate Thing We've Made

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for..., 15 Sept. 2007
I now understand why there has been such a long wait for Darren Hayes' third solo album to appear. The time taken to produce this work must have appeared daunting to all those involved. 'This Delicate Thing We've Made' is nothing short of musical genius on an epic scale. His well of creativity must be very deep since there are no bad songs here. No "fillers", nothing half-hearted. A serious contender for album of the year!
John, Sheffield, UK

Memory Man
Memory Man
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Aqualung meets Martin Grech?, 3 May 2007
This review is from: Memory Man (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of Aqualung since hearing "Strange and Beautiful (I'll put a spell on you)" I eagerly anticipate any new material from the Hales' pen. This album does not disappoint. It is fresh and immediate. Hearing some of the more dramatic instrumentations reminded me of early Martin Grech; since I'm also a fan of Grech this is a plus (if indeed Matt has been influenced at all by this artist).

Of course, this is an essential purchase for any Aqualung devotee! If you're new to this music, you'll find much to enjoy. If you love what you hear it won't be long before you're adding their other releases to your shopping list. My only gripe is that it's over far too soon!

Page: 1 | 2