Profile for Joe > Reviews

Everything Alice: the Wonderland Book of Makes
Everything Alice: the Wonderland Book of Makes
by Hannah Read-Baldrey

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but useless, 1 Jan. 2012
Very pretty pictures which you can enjoy flicking through and go "ooh that is nice" but seriously useless. Some items look kinda botch together, pretty but botched job. Not worth the price it is selling for, even at amazon's price !!! But if you have too much time on your hands, then I fully recommend this book. If you hate clutter, then stay away from this book. I bought this due to all the positive reviews... but seriously.... 1 star is pretty generous.

My Irresistible Earl: Number 3 in series (Inferno Club)
My Irresistible Earl: Number 3 in series (Inferno Club)
by Gaelen Foley

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Boring, 7 Aug. 2011
The whole Inferno Club series is boring and "My Irresistible Earl" is even more boring than the previous one. Totally dislike the heroine, characterless being. The only bit interesting is the "Drake" story. Read the older Gaelen Foley books, give this series a miss. Totally waste of my time. Over 300 hundred pages of boredom.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 24, 2012 3:59 PM BST

My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite studio ghibli film, 19 July 2011
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
My children and I agree this is still our favourite at this point in time. Spirited Away is technically beautiful, fell in love with Howl etc etc etc. Each and everyone of studio ghibi's animation has something special but Totoro is still the best. Truly an unforgettable film. There are so many scenes in this movie that we talk and laugh about. Again be very open minded and watch this film.

Porco Rosso [DVD]
Porco Rosso [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Just watch it!, 18 July 2011
This review is from: Porco Rosso [DVD] (DVD)
I was reluctant to watch this (although i have watched 90% of studio ghibli's films and like them alot) and this is a superb film. Although not all is explained but it is still a wonderful film. I laughed out loud at some scenes. It is a truly enjoyable film. The film depict the joy of flying beautifully. It sounds crazy to think an animation film can do that but it is true. Be open minded and enjoy it.

Warlords [2008] [DVD]
Warlords [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jet Li
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb acting. A must watch., 21 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Warlords [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
Jet Li's acting is intense and powerful. I like Jet Li's powerful lines in the script. You can actually see the pain reflected in his eyes with every difficult and painful decision he makes and the joy and contentment reflected in them when he is with his lover. No unrealistic flying stunts but just pure ugliness of war and the beauty of Jet Li's martial art actions (I wish there were more Jet Li's martial art scenes but then again, this is not just a martial arts film but a movie of the suffering due to war, we can now all witness Jet Li's incredibly good acting). Andy Lau's performance is also extremely good in this movie, I think his wrinkles actually makes him a better actor in this movie.
Takeshi Kaneshiro's youthful and beautiful face completes the trio as the movie needs his innocent, trusting character to tell the story. The tears are painful and gut wrenching to watch but it tells the story as it is. Overall superb acting, superb cinematography. Do not judge all chinese period drama by Zhang Yimou's standard and watch this movie.

Rockport Women's Rosella Washable Pump
Rockport Women's Rosella Washable Pump

3.0 out of 5 stars Check shoe size with Rockport shoe sizing chart, 12 Jan. 2010
I wear UK 4.5 - UK 5 size shoes (i.e. from clarks). I ordered Rockport's UK 5 (on the box : US 6.5, EUR 37, UK 5), turns out a bit tight as described by other reviewers. I guess it is best if you know your shoe size based on US sizing to order shoes from Rockport. The back of shoes (the heels) rub as it is tight. This model does not have comfortable padded heel cushion, hence it rubs the heels if fitting is tight. I should have bought 1/2 size bigger for better fit. The shoes are nicely made, too bad about wrong sizing. I'd just realised the Amazon women's shoe sizing chart is different from the Rockport's women's shoe sizing chart !!

Rockport Women's Latorio Washable Pump
Rockport Women's Latorio Washable Pump

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfy but read other comments before deciding on shoe size., 12 Jan. 2010
I ordered size UK 6 (normally I wear UK 4.5 or UK 5, i.e. shoes from clarks). The size on Rockport's box : UK 6, US 7.5 and EUR 38.
Normally EUR 38 translate to UK 5 but I guess Rockport wishes to be different. These are better than the Rockport Rosella pumps as these heels are slightly padded and do not rub. The fit is o.k, I should have ordered Rockport's UK 5.5, would have fitted me better but hey, I can always get some form of heel pads. So all in all it is a good buy at a very good price, very comfortable. If you can get out with all these snow, try at shoe shop first to get your size.

When Your Kids Push Your Buttons: And what you can do about it
When Your Kids Push Your Buttons: And what you can do about it
by Bonnie Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars A necessary book for parenting, 21 Oct. 2009
I wished I'd read this book earlier, could have helped me years ago. I own loads of parenting books. E.g. positive parenting etc. but they all deal with children's behaviour as if the child is the problem. This book deals with the parent and encourage us to understand ourselves and our child. Makes load of sense to me ! It is not an easy book to read (not literary) as I found it very painful when I realised the mistakes that I have been continually making. The book has short exercises at the end of some chapters for the reader (parent) to complete which is necessary else it would not be very effective to tackle the deep rooted underlying problems. The best parenting book so far!!!!

How to Talk to Your Child: Solving problems at home and school
How to Talk to Your Child: Solving problems at home and school
by Penny Oates

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother. Not helpful at all., 11 Oct. 2009
DO NOT get this book unless you :
- like reading everything in bullet format
- like reading a collection of pamplets (like the type you get in doctor surgery) about how to talk to your child.
- need to get to sleep real quick
- like to be spoken "at" not spoken "to"
- you need to pass some test on "how to talk to your child" and this book will provide you with all the correct answers for the test
- you need to advice other parents to how to talk to their child, with the aim that the advice will not take too long to be lectured to the parent.
- you need to give a presentation or lecture on the topic "how to talk to your child", just transfer the short sentences to your presentation program/software.
- do not really wish to truly understand your child
- do not wish in depth understanding, just a bunch of theories and solutions in bullet format.

Totally unhelpful. I found this book uninteresting and boring. Not for a parent truly in need for some practical advice and understanding on how to talk to their child.

Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle
by Diana Wynne Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ! A must have for every household., 30 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
This is one of my all time favourite book. When I look around for a book to read at home I can't help it but smile when my eyes find this book. I enjoy it every time I read it. One of my favourite part of the book (and also the film by Miyazaki) is when Howl has a tantrum about his hair. Funnily enough I found it funnier when reading this bit from the book. A good book does not have to be thick with hundreds and hundreds of pages that goes on and on and on .... (i.e. Harry Potter). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Harry Potter books but when it is pure quality, it has to be Diana Wynne Jones' books!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8