Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for tiggrie AKA Sarah > Reviews

Content by tiggrie AKA Sarah

tiggrie AKA Sarah (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Replay Classic Oval Pencil Case - Grey
Replay Classic Oval Pencil Case - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, smart, roomy, 21 Aug. 2013
I bought this when it was on a bit cheaper, but even at this price I'd say it's a good buy.

The material seems sturdy, as does the zip - it feels like it will last. The branding to be honest means very little to me, but it's inoffensive to anyone who doesn't care, and if you do care, well, it's sewn so it doesn't look naff, and it's quite smart looki!

It's not as roomy as the round pencil cases in a similar style, but roomier than the square one. I easily fit a couple of dozen Staedler Triplus pens in there along with a few odds and sods, and it's by no means full. I love the shape for its ease of use: because of the way it's constructed, the "lid" flips right open, and so it's very easy to rummage in and find the specific pen you're after. Excellent for ease of use!

Over all, it's smart, it holds a fair amount, it feels like it will stand up to rough treatment, and it scores highly for ease of use. What more could you ask in an inexpensive pencil case?

No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a writing handbook, but an effective kick in the backside., 4 Aug. 2013
From an earlier review :)

I'm not 100% convinced that I should be giving this book five stars, as it has the potential to be misleading as to what you can expect from it; but given the number of times I've read it in the past year, the number of times it has made me laugh out loud, and so on, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. (And maybe it'll balance out a certain gent who gave it one star when he'd not even read it ;))

This book is emphatically NOT a writing manual, style guide, whatever. It does exactly what it says on the tin: gets you trying (and in many cases succeeding) to write a shortish novel in 30 days. The quality of said novel might be a little ropey, depending on talent, time, etc, but quite literally thousands of people have found to their surprise and delight that it works.

This isn't a book about how to write the perfect, finished novel; it's about getting a rough draft down on paper so you have something to work with, - and many, many people continue to prove that, yes, you can do that in the space of a month.

It's also not really about producing something that can necessarily be edited into a publishable script. This is sometimes a happy side effect, but it isn't the main point of the book: this book approaches writing the same way most non-professionals approach golf, dancing, music - novel writing as recreation, rather than potential job.

This book is about getting people writing fiction and getting them over the first hurdle, NOT about producing finished, publisher-worthy books in a month. A small but significant number of nanowrimo participants go on to get their polished up book-in-a-month efforts published - a couple of such success stories are mentioned in the book whose books are widely available - so it undoubtedly can be done, but it isn't really the intended end result for all nanowrimo books.

This book won't suit everyone's needs, but it's a great, entertaining little bundle of encouragement, amusement, and blackmail designed to stop you saying "one day I'll write a novel" and say instead "I'm going to write a novel and I'm going to do it now".

If you're looking for detailed ways to plan your novel, grammar guides, style, exercises, etc, this book is not for you (or certainly not on its own). If you're an accomplished writer who has no problems with motivation, similarly, this book may not be what you're looking for (though some established writers have successfully used NaNo as a springboard to reinvigorate their writing or get them over writer's block). If what you need is a kick up the backside to get you writing and get your novel off your chest, then it's certainly worth your while, because that is exactly what this book plans to deliver, and it does it exceedingly well and in an entertaining fashion.

I'm currently mid-wrimo, after starting late and continuing my story post wrimo '07. I've written more in the last year than I ever have in my life on any one project (indeed, possibly just more than I've ever written: 55K and counting) and more in the last 10 days (nearly 20K) than I have ever written in a time frame less than months... largely due to the inspiration, encouragement, and sheer blackmail tactics of nanowrimo and this book. If your creative side needs kicking into gear, then I personally cannot recommend this highly enough.

update: I won NaNo on the 28th, and boy did it feel good.

For anyone wondering if something worthwhile can come out of a rough draft put together in one short month... I have recently found out that Water For Elephants, Sara Gruen's New York Times bestseller, currently in production as a Hollywood movie, started out life as a nano novel. Need I say more?

When In Rome [DVD]
When In Rome [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable romp of a romcom, 24 July 2013
This review is from: When In Rome [DVD] (DVD)
This is such a silly movie, it's crazy and predictable and corny as all get out, and I LOVED it. It's really adorable.

A bit of magic, Rome, some very good cameos from actors like Jon Heder, Danny DeVito, Anjelica Huston, humour and romance, a sweet, happy ending - essentially, a classic, enjoyable romcom, two likeable leads, and a thoroughly enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money on it, and it's not deep or meaningful, but it's a perfect confection of romcom goodness. If you're looking for a silly, fluffy, girly movie, this is excellent.

Love is a Secret: (previously published as Mums@Home)
Love is a Secret: (previously published as Mums@Home)

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, but ultimately very forgettable., 2 July 2013
King is no Marian Keyes. This book is OK, and there are worse ways to waste a couple of hours, but it's nothing special, even for chick lit.

She does score some originality points for having her protags meet via a parents' website, but these characters are neither exciting nor memorable.

For the offer price, OK, but I will happily give it a miss. I read a friend's paperback copy, and even for less than a quid I wouldn't consider it worth the money for a re read.

Pilot V5 Liquid Ink Rollerball 0.5 mm Tip (Box of 12) - Violet
Pilot V5 Liquid Ink Rollerball 0.5 mm Tip (Box of 12) - Violet

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour, smooth writing., 2 July 2013
Good value high quality pens with a funky ink colour. Pleasant to write with, clean lines of ink.

The violet ink really is a lovely colour, if you're a fan of purple you will likely love this.

3 x Universal Capacitive Touch Screen Stylus Pen (Purple, Pink and Red) for Blackberry: Bold Touch 9900, Torch 9860, 9930, HTC: Wildfire S, Sensation, Sensation XE, Sensation XL, Desire S, Desire HD, One X, One S, One V, Nokia: N9, N8, C6-01, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Samsung: i9100 Galaxy S2, Galaxy Ace S5830, Galaxy Mini S5570, I9000 Galaxy S, Galaxy Note Sony Ericsson: Xperia Arc, Xperia X8, Xperia X10, Xperia Ray, Xperia Play, Xperia S, Xperia P, Apple: iPhone 5 4 4S, iPhone 3G & 3GS, iPod Touch 4, iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3,

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, good price, not very sturdy, 2 July 2013
These are a good price, especially when the same thing is sometimes sold for three times the price just for one.

However, they don't last very long. The rubber is fragile and when the rubber is damaged it exposes metal which could scratch a touch screen.

How To Write Your First Novel (Creative Writing)
How To Write Your First Novel (Creative Writing)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much point unless you've never read another writing book., 2 July 2013
This is more a motivational cheer fest than serious writing advice. I've read one of King's books, and it was very forgettable. This is full of excessive exclamation marks and the most basic advice imaginable. King's writing also doesn't fill me with confidence that she knows what she's talking about.

I don't think this is the worst writing book out there, but I wouldn't even pay the offer price for it. There is much better advice out there, and I personally would save the money towards a more expensive but more useful book.

Guns (Kindle Single)
Guns (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading., 24 Jun. 2013
The one thing that's sad about this book is that I suspect the people who most need to read it are the ones who won't, or who will come to it bound and determined to disagree with it.

King is a gifted communicator, and while I somewhat agree with the criticism that he could have provided more stats to back up his arguments, the stats are out there and easy to find. As such, it's a small demerit on an otherwise interesting, fluently argued, and passionate case,

King is no advocate of a gun ban, and is happy to state that he is a gun owner and user. However, he also owns a healthy degree of common sense and logic. Not to mention a hearty dose of humour.

His anatomy of the response, actions and reactions surrounding mass shooting incidents is painfully familiar, from the initial reports to the inevitable sweeping under the rug of problems which the country seems determined not to face. He pulls no punches, and if you're easily offended, this book may not be your thing. King doesn't shy away from unashamedly pointing out the horrors of gun violence and death, the weird dichotomies of the more extreme gun activists, the hypocrisy of some NRA cronies, and he'll happily swear if he feels he needs to to make his point. Though if the reader is more horrified by the odd f bomb than by gun crime stats...

King is a gun owner who sees that guns are not as important as people, and he puts forward his case with passion, conviction and clarity. It's not a perfect book, it probably isn't about to change the world, but if just a few people will read it and be made to think, then I think it will have done its job. One can only hope some of the folks who really need to be made to think will actually read it.

Well worth the time to read.

Soothsoft Chillow Pillow Double Pack
Soothsoft Chillow Pillow Double Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but still a godsend., 24 Jun. 2013
I'm one of those unfortunate people who seems to churn out heat like a radiator. In the depths of winter I may get a bit chilly when I'm very tired, but the rest of the time I'm always too hot. I'd be an excellent person to take on an arctic expedition!

Being so overheated means I struggle to get to sleep, especially when it's too warm.

The Chillow has been a godsend. I have some of the same issues others have mentioned, primarily that if I get really hot, I overwhelm the Chillow's ability to cool me down, and by the morning it's always on the warm side, especially if I have slept in one position all night.

That said, the fact is the Chillow improved my ability to get to sleep and to STAY asleep by a considerable margin. I'd love a Chillow that stayed properly cool all night, but to be able to get to sleep before my pillow is hot all over, to sleep more soundly instead of tossing and turning and waking up all night - that is an enormous improvement and worth every penny.

I hope Chillow will continue to make - and improve - their product, and no, it's not perfect, it can be fiddly to activate, it will get warm if you lay on it for long enough. However, all that said, it isn't that hard to use, and it does work and keep me cooler for longer, and thus asleep more soundly and for longer. That alone makes it something I would hate to have to do without.

EPISTICK EPILATOR FACIAL HAIR REMOVAL REMOVER TOOL
EPISTICK EPILATOR FACIAL HAIR REMOVAL REMOVER TOOL
Offered by GNWE

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, easy to use, does the job., 1 Jun. 2013
I will start by saying, this isn't pain free epilation, though honestly it baffles me that anyone expects ripping one's hair out by the roots is ever going to be absolutely painless!

It is more than tolerable, though, and this is also an easy, portable, effective, and very cheap way of dealing with excess facial hair. Does the job, doesn't cost the earth - can't say fairer than that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20