Profile for Peter Stephenson > Reviews

Content by Peter Stephenson

Peter Stephenson "PeterSt1954" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Unwins Sunflower American Giant F1 Seeds
Unwins Sunflower American Giant F1 Seeds

5.0 out of 5 stars Managed to grow a few on very difficult soil. Very pleased with result., 20 Aug. 2016
Three of the seeds actually grew to maturity - which is something of an accomplishment given that almost every other sunflower seed (in fact almost every seed of any kind) I've ever planted on my tiny bit of previously poisoned land disappeared without trace. The three large, robust and very impressive plants I got got were a good return for the cost of a packet. I put my success down to supporting the plant (it grew through bean poles) - which it may not have needed - and very careful slug control. That and plenty of water - both in the ground and sprayed onto the plants. It seems that if you can nurse them through their early stage they toughen up. The point where the plant enters the ground seems to be vulnerable - but if you look after it at the beginning it develops a sort of armour at the base. I now have three very strong and healthy plants with spectacular leaves and blooms. On decent land I'm sure the germination rate would be a lot better. On my land the big sunflowers seem to do much better (ie a few grow) than the small ones (that disappear without a trace). In difficult soil sunflowers can be very difficult to grow - but a bit of experience helps a lot. They don't thrive on neglect but they do reward effort.

4 Heavy Duty Plastic 30cm Tent / Marquee / Gazebo Pegs
4 Heavy Duty Plastic 30cm Tent / Marquee / Gazebo Pegs
Offered by First Choice 247

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pegs. Good customer service., 28 May 2016
Good pegs. Good customer service.

Spiral 1 - What Are The Blade Children? [DVD]
Spiral 1 - What Are The Blade Children? [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shingo Kaneko

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Sept. 2015
Worth watching but a little tedious at times with too many holes in the plot.

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol.1 - Manga: v. 1 (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Manga (Quality))
by Nagaru Tanigawa

5.0 out of 5 stars If there were ten stars I could award it would ..., 22 Sept. 2015
If there were ten stars I could award it would get those. Utterly classic anime. No tricks or fan service. A must see for any anime fan.

Tinxs 40X25mm Illuminated Loupe Led Light Magnifying (Oversea Dispatch) (Oversea Dispatch)
Offered by Books United-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Oddly the light is piercingly bright and a bit too ..., 22 Sept. 2015
Oddly the light is piercingly bright and a bit too bright for me. However it will probably become weaker with use - so its probably not that much of an issue.

5 Star Office Screen Cleaning Sachets Anti-static Non-hazardous [Pack 50] (Packaging May Vary)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately I had an old box to put it in ..., 22 Sept. 2015
Nothing at all wrong with the product (I've used these before) but arrived in very crushed box. Fortunately I had an old box to put it in so no problems - but it could be an issue if you haven't an old box to put it in. The box acts as a dispenser so it isn't just a packaging issue.

The Gathering
The Gathering
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of Bodices But Definitely Not Just A Bodice Ripper, 28 April 2015
This review is from: Outlander Season 1 (Amazon Video)
This isn't my kind of story so I don't really know why I started watching it - but I'm glad I did. It isn't a mindless bodice-ripper with a ridiculous plot but a very good story punctuated - but by no means ruined - by adult and convincing sexual sexual tension. Its optimistic but not naive. Plenty of conflicted and convincing characters and sub-stories. Its fairly dark (visually and in plot) but beams of light do shine through. Just settle down and let it unfold.

LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out [DVD]
LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guy Vasilovich

5.0 out of 5 stars Short But Fully Packed With Fun, 1 Mar. 2015
This is a very short film but it is packed full of in-jokes and one-liners that make it something you can watch several times (I watched it four times in a row and I don't usually watch films more than once). I think they decided that weren't going to waste any frames on anything that was less that really quite funny. Surprisingly memorable for just twenty minutes long. At £3 I didn't feel cheated.

Igenix IG7458 Compact Jug Kettle, 1 L - White
Igenix IG7458 Compact Jug Kettle, 1 L - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Potentially Good Kettle with a Dangerous Fault, 16 Feb. 2015
From fairly early on steam started coming through the handle. I had to bind it with tape. If they could get rid of this defect it would rate five stars - but with it it shouldn't really be on the market. It is unsafe.

Salter 145 Mechanical Bathroom Scale - Silver Black
Salter 145 Mechanical Bathroom Scale - Silver Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost the Real McCoy, 11 Feb. 2015
Just received this so I can't give a long-term review but initial impressions are as follows. It appears well made and solid. The dial is large and clear (the whole thing is reassuringly large - somewhat larger than normal bathroom scales). The mechanism appears consistent - it shows almost exactly the same weight every time I step onto it. The weight it shows is consistent with my last accurate (medical) weighing so is presumably accurate. It works perfectly well on the normal thickness carpet in my room (although that might not be case if it was left in the same position for a long time and the little legs had had time sink into the carpet).

You get a lot of cheap knock-offs that look like this but are rubbish (I speak from unhappy experience). This appears to be the real deal. It probably isn't real medical quality (you would have to pay a lot more for that sort of a equipment) but its a serious piece of weighing kit. When I have another £140 to spend on one its big medical brothers (also made by Salter) so I can tell my weight to the ounce I will buy one. Until then this will do nicely thank you. It is a worthy smaller (but by not means little) member of the family of Salter medical-type scales.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12