Profile for daisy47 > Reviews

Content by daisy47

daisy47 (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Ezi-Tech New Arrivel 2.4GHz USB Wireless Mouse Mice for Apple Mac Macbook Pro Air
Offered by EASY BUY

5.0 out of 5 stars at this price it's cheap for its looks alone!, 29 Sept. 2014
Do you ever wonder reading some reviews at the stratospherically high standards many people seem to expect?
Is it that a wireless mouse has to cost £60+ before anyone can consider it any good?
My £6- mouse may let me down yet, but it worked straight away, it looks good and it does everything I've asked it to.
My time isn't worth ridiculous sums of money per hour, so I wouldn't mind if I had to try twice to highlight a piece of text, or lift the mouse and set it down again to find where the cursor has gone. (I haven't had to, anyway.)
My 330mm Mac has a nice keyboard, but I don't like trackpads, and this mouse, together with an ergonomic keyboard I already owned, makes long documents with custom graphics a pleasure rather than a chore.
£6?? If YOU don't like it, your nephew or niece or colleague probably would and generosity rarely comes as cheap!

Kim (Vintage Classics)
Kim (Vintage Classics)
by Rudyard Kipling

5.0 out of 5 stars the "English Patient" reminded me, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Kim (Vintage Classics) (Paperback)
after reading "The English Patient", I re-read this and Herodotus.
Even though it's more than a century old, it's a wonderful book that stands high over any political correctness; the kind of sniffy disapproval that George Orwell expressed for Kipling is just irrelevant. it's funny, it's a thriller, it is grounded in a good-humoured and tolerant morality. It never seems to Kipling to question the rightness of Empire, but he doesn't condescend to the characters he creates. His love for them is both evident and infectious.
"Kim" is a masterwork.
["The Histories" is pretty good, too!]

Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching
Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching
by Ursula K. Le Guin

5.0 out of 5 stars a hotchpotch, but potched by a writer of genius, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
I have loved Ursula Le Guin since reading "A Wizard of Earthsea"" (because one of our children had ordered it from a school book club and then set it aside.) This doesn't pretend to be a translation. A writer with a lovely feel for language had researched the Dao and read practically every English version of Lao Tzu's book that she could get her hands on. Normally a person would be embarrassed to recommend something that's 'only' a paraphrase of other peoples' work, but this is the most satisfying "Tao Te Ching" I ever opened. It doesn't sacrifice beautiful language for the sake of some spurious "clarity". Other versions that force some personal interpretation on the reader of WHAT IT MEANS are nothing to do with the Dao. At the same time, versions by "purists" who don't care if the words appear in any order that is sensible to a Western reader don't help either. I was always a little bit disappointed in Le Guin's own poetry - (her prose seemed much more naturally lyrical to me). In this case she captures the poetic spirit of a unique philosopher, and in doing so, as far as I am concerned, builds a bridge across huge gaps in time and culture.

Kingston Technology 16 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing

4.0 out of 5 stars this is the same review as I wrote for the gold one, 27 Jun. 2014
this is a lovely wee item.
I buy Kingston products because, after a big-name SD card failed on me, I found a Kingston replacement on offer and it's served me loyally since. The only thing wrong with this is that it's so small I'm amazed a disorganised person like me hasn't lost it.
It looks nice, it has stored a wonderful holiday's worth of photos and they are easily accessible again every time I pop it back in the computer.
So, it does what it's supposed to. Fine. I just like the fact that it's lighter and smaller by volume than a cigarette.

CellBig Introduces Sensational Black Quality Protection Rubber Case Cover Pouch shell Holster Pocket Shield Mask Retro Hole Pattern on Surface For Your Apple iPhone 5C New
Offered by cellbig

3.0 out of 5 stars good product for someone with a different lifestyle, 27 Jun. 2014
it IS a good-looking and good-value product, but not for a person who just stuffs their phone in a jeans pocket. In normal use the case stays on quite well, but with careless people it probably spends more time screwed up in a ball.

Kingston Technology 16GB DataTraveler  USB 2 GE9 DTGE9/16GB with Gold Metal Casing
Kingston Technology 16GB DataTraveler USB 2 GE9 DTGE9/16GB with Gold Metal Casing

4.0 out of 5 stars more storage space than my first desktop, 27 Jun. 2014
this is a lovely wee item.
So, it does what it's supposed to. Fine. I just like the fact that it is probably lighter and smaller by volume than a cigarette.

CellBig Introduces Breezy Light Blue Quality Protection Rubber Case Cover Pouch shell Holster Pocket Shield Mask Retro Hole Pattern on Surface For Your Apple iPhone 5C New
Offered by cellbig

3.0 out of 5 stars looks good but doesn't fit perfectly, 27 Jun. 2014
Lovely colour match.
The three star rating is my own fault. I upgraded to an iPhone 5c after coming over the handlebars and smashing teeth and HTC.
I liked the iPhone so much I wanted something to protect it. This wee cover would suit someone less casual than me. I just want to shove the phone in my jeans or cycle shirt pocket, and would like to be able to dig it out again without leaving the rubber case behind!
If you wear jackets or carry bags I'd recommend it, but if your phone is going to live in comfortable places like that you probably don't need a protective cover!

The Lost Books of the Odyssey
The Lost Books of the Odyssey
by Zachary Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars skewed perspectives, beautifully crafted, 1 Dec. 2011
Zachary Mason's "Lost Books of the Odyssey" is beautifully presented, outside and in.
I didn't read the tales in order. Someone else reviewing them bemoaned the brevity of so many of the pieces, but I loved the clean, stripped sharpness of each episode. The author preserved just enough of the feel of formula and epithet of epic without labouring those characteristics. In any case, to do so might have dulled the originality of the collection, or made it seem merely some sort of pastiche.
In taking away some of the elements the ancients valued, Mr Mason adds dimensions of personality. Greek heroes are often uninteresting in their one-dimensional consistency, but Odysseus here is complex and ambiguous and (!) likeable.
I'm sure all keen readers go through spells when they read just because it's what they do, but long for a book that enraptures and engages and requires a real effort of will power to put down so that there will still be some of its joys to enjoy later. They do come along every now and again.
This is most certainly one of them.
It's not the Odyssey, nor does it try to be, but it's a tribute and an ornament to its inspiration.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2012 10:05 AM GMT

Berghaus Twentyfourseven Unisex Adult Backpack Cranberry 25 lt
Berghaus Twentyfourseven Unisex Adult Backpack Cranberry 25 lt

5.0 out of 5 stars strong, light and good-looking, 14 April 2011
I am sure there are daysacks/backpacks as good as this, but I couldn't find any as cheap.
It's easy to wear, and perfect for holidays - cabin-baggage sized, and handy once you're there to bring masks and towels to the beach or load up the junk you buy in a city expedition. The title of this review says everything that matters about this excellent product.

7dayshop Tripods - The "Super-Hero" Action Mini-Pod (Black & Blue)
7dayshop Tripods - The "Super-Hero" Action Mini-Pod (Black & Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars cheap and cheerful, but sturdy and functional, too, 25 Oct. 2010
I'm not a professional photographer, but I've often found myself wishing I had some sort of camera stand for shots of lovely buildings at night - and that kind of thing. You probably wouldn't use this if you had a contract for somebody's wedding photos, but if you want something you could slip out of your pocket which would hold your camera steady on whatever sort of surface you're close to, you can't go far wrong splashing out a fiver on this. Its looks make people smile, too.

Page: 1 | 2