Profile for Matt James > Reviews

Matt James

31 [DVD]
31 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Malcolm McDowell

4.0 out of 5 stars Great score, cinematography and cast I love all of ..., 15 April 2017
This review is from: 31 [DVD] (DVD)
So I think the casual horror viewer may struggle to appreciate this, however you go in with an open mind, appreciate a gritty 70s, grindhouse gorefest then this is for you!
The premise is simple, 5 carnival workers are kidnapped on Halloween and have to fight for their lives over 12 hours against a group of sadistic clowns, and thats it! Great score, cinematography and cast
I love all of zombies films and this is probably my new favourite.
Yes he has his own style, but that's what is so appealing, he creates crazy characters and settings like no one else!!
"Tonight, we are going to play 31!!"

Sinister 2 [DVD] [2015]
Sinister 2 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Shannyn Sossamon

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT EVEN BOTHER., 3 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Sinister 2 [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
I felt compelled to write this review as it so far beyond dire it doesnt even deserve one star.
The original is a fantastic creepy affair, that builds tension and characters in such a way that does leave you on the edge of your seat.
The only let down for me, which is fairly important is the end but it is still a strong movie.
This however has nothing new to offer, forgettable characters, and the plot is all over the place.
Avoid at all costs!!!!

We Are Still Here [DVD]
We Are Still Here [DVD]
Dvd ~ Barbara Crampton
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars 70s throwback, 25 Oct. 2015
This review is from: We Are Still Here [DVD] (DVD)
I felt complelled to write a review after watching this for the second time this weekend. I first watched this at frightfest in August and it was my favourite! Set in the 70's our leading couple retreat to a new home after the tragic death of their son. From the get go this film just oozes atmosphere and the winter setting is a fantastic creepy back drop.
It's not long before the weirdness begins and this is an original take on the haunted house story, executed so well. The music is very creepy and just adds to the tense slow burn atmosphere, and the second part of the film really ups the anti in terms of direction. There are also some very humorous moments and the casting is great.
If you liked 'house of the devil' you will love this! And I can't wait what to see what the director does next.

Halloween: Uncut (Director's Cut Edition) [DVD]
Halloween: Uncut (Director's Cut Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Malcolm Mcdowell
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Get your grit ooon!, 2 Mar. 2014
I think we all know by now that there is such a divided opinion on Rob Zombies version of Halloween. Some people loved it others not so much, however I loved it. Yes I am a major fan of the original but Zombie didn't remake the original as such, he has produced a re-imagining and I loved what he did. We start off by seeing young Michael in a little less than a dysfunctional family (that is an understatement) Despite the constant verbal abuse from his stepfather his mother is still extremely loving and gentle and we get to see a completely different side to Mrs Zombie after the crazy antics of baby! and poor Michael is bullied at school for being 'different'...anyway, its Halloween and yes you guessed it Michael snaps, the young actor playing Michael is really creepy and its this kind of mentality that freaks me out, that a child could just snap like that. The first half of the movie is centred around this and Michaels experience with the sanitarium. We then cut to the second half of the film which is a bit more familiar as Laurie Strode is grown up and her big brother who has escaped wants his sister back!
The film itself is pretty brutal, but I just love the gritty edge that Zombie brings to all of his movies, the guy is a genuine artist and no this film isn't for everyone but if you take it for what it is and what he wanted it to be you are bound to enjoy it.

House Of The Devil [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
House Of The Devil [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jocelin Donahue

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Eighties!, 2 Mar. 2014
For me, everything about this film is fantastic! I loved the fact that it was set in the 80's which just added to the atmosphere and gave us something fresh, rather than the usual c**p thats coming out of hollywood. Ti West really did try to do something different, focusing on scary set pieces, slow burn pace, atmosphere and most importantly of all awesome story line.
I really cant say too much without giving it away but the title gives you a little clue. I don't think I have felt so tense watching a film for so long! and the ending was also very good! I am looking forward to his latest offering the 'the Sacrament'
If you like your horror tense, with atmosphere which doesn't rely on gore then this is for you, please give it a go.
Its directors like Ti and Rob Zombie who are really pushing the boundaries of horror recently and I applaud them!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2015 8:21 PM BST

The Lords of Salem [DVD]
The Lords of Salem [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sheri Moon Zombie
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who like something a bit different!, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Lords of Salem [DVD] (DVD)
I am a big Zombie fan so of course was looking forward to this, however I had to watch it twice to fully appreciate it! (and have since watched another couple of times) I don't think I really need to explain the story line as I am sure you will have an idea, but I love the whole concept of witches and how it was linked to our central character Heidi. We witness eerie flashbacks to the days of the Salem witch trials, when Margaret Morgan and her Coven curse the descendants of Salem...and without spoiling anything you will have to watch to find out the consequences!
The film is full of atmosphere, however I scored 4 as it is a little slow to start but this is what I think Zombie wanted to achieve, atmosphere and the dread of something terrible happening. The film is very dark/Satanic and Meg Foster who plays the main witch is FANTASTIC, as were the current day Coven. I also thought Mrs Zombie did a pretty good job of portraying someone so troubled that you just don't always know what is just in her head or reality.
If you like your horror a tad different, with that 70's gritty feel then give this a go!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 3:06 PM BST

Halloween II [Blu-ray]
Halloween II [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sheri Moon Zombie
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like PROPER horror!, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Halloween II [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Let me start by saying that I am a big Rob Zombie fan, however I know there are a lot of people who just dont get his films, neither do they appreciate what he is trying to do! I should have written this years ago however got round to watching it again this w-e as Im watching a lot of horror this month and I have to say I just love it! I actually prefer it to the first remake.
Zombie brings so much more depth and atmosphere to this film, and you really believe how affected Laurie has become, haunted by the memories of what happened to her. I really liked what Zombie tried to do in terms of trying to explain what was going on inside Michaels head, with the images of his mother etc.
This film isn't for the faint hearted and is very dark and extremely violent, but I guess to me that is what is scary, that someone could be that violent.
This was an extremely good ending to the two films and just doesn't get the credit it deserves!! Definitely one to watch this halloween!!

Master Of My Make-Believe
Master Of My Make-Believe
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably better than her debut!, 4 Aug. 2012
I loved Santi from the minute I heard L.E.S Artistes and played her debut constantly, however I have to say I think this surpasses it! The melodies are more infectious, but still maintain the gritty/grimey reggae sound.
Highlights for me have to me Disparate Youth, This isnt our parade, the riots gone, pirate in the water and the keepers.
Santi is truly underrated and I cannot praise her unique sound enough! BUY BOTH ALBUMS IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!

My Kitchen Table: 100 Foolproof Suppers
My Kitchen Table: 100 Foolproof Suppers
by Gizzi Erskine

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic all rounder!, 9 Jun. 2012
I appreciate what the previous reviewer has said but I don't have Gizzi's Kitchen magic so this was a great addition to my collection! (and this is a collection of her 100 favourite fool proof suppers, so there was bound to be some crossover)
Gizzi has a really simple approach to her recipes but this doesn't mean they are boring by any measure! I love the asian influence in this book, Filipino rice, Massman curry, Korean pancakes are all delicious and like I say easy to prepare.
On the other hand you have BBQ wings which were fantastic and other wonderful comfort dishes such as the perfect beef stew, coq au vin and a whole host of other recipes.
If you like to try food from around the world then this book is for you!! I am working my way through all 100 and I probably will cook them all at some point! well done Gizzi and I look forward to your next book!

Not Your Kind Of People [Deluxe]
Not Your Kind Of People [Deluxe]
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Garbage are back!!, 14 May 2012
Garbage are back!!!..and raring to go!! Having been a fan since the beginning I obviously couldn't wait for this and I am not disappointed in the slightest!

The opening track 'Automatic Systematic Habit' is an electro rocker which is one of my favourites and was also amazing live, which then goes into the ever so uplifting 'Big Bright World', other stand out tracks for me are 'Control' which is a dark heavy number which has an awesome chorus, as well as 'Battle in Me' which has some of their most aggressive guitar work to date!... that packed with the wonderfully dancey 'I Hate Love' which grooves a long with a lovely uplifting chorus. We also have some slower songs that we are accustomed to from Garbage such as 'Sugar' and the 70s retro vibe of the title track 'Not Your Kind Of People'.

If you loved the energy of the first two albums you will find something here for you.

This truely is some of their best work and I hope it attracts some new fans as well as pleasing us darklings!