Profile for Louisa > Reviews

Slow Cooked: 200 exciting, new recipes for your slow cooker
Slow Cooked: 200 exciting, new recipes for your slow cooker
by Miss South

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag!, 4 Oct. 2016
I already had Audrey Dean's "Slow Cooker Cookbook", which has some very good, dependable recipes, but I wanted to try something with more exotic flavours. So far, very much mixed reviews from this book: 50% of the recipes have been good (squash ragout; tomato and pepper soup); 50% totally inedible (potato and olive stew; and chicken mole, as other reviewers have noted, sounds great but was beyond disgusting - very disappointing). Also, a lot of the recipe feature ingredients which may not be to everyone's taste: tongue and cheek pudding anyone? Pigs' trotters? Octopus?

It does have some great ideas though, and is nicely written. So maybe one for the more adventurous cook/palate.

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Northern Spain (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Northern Spain (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
by DK
Edition: Flexibound

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough detail by far, 3 Aug. 2016
This book covers a vast area: from Costa Brava on the Med coast, to Santiago de Compostela and beyond to the west. Nobody would cover anything more than a fraction of this area in one holiday, and the book would benefit hugely from being divided into multiple books, which could then provide more detail.

1 small paragraph on the beautiful Costa Brava anyone? 2 pages on the huge Picos de Europa national park - most of which is photos? Useless.

Other highlights, such as the pretty little Galician fishing village of Muros, are totally disregarded.

The photos were nice, and the pages on the local history interesting, but the only other pages we used were the double spread on the basilica in Santiago. You're better off buying a good map and then just going into local tourist information and asking them about the area you visit.

Almost French: A New Life in Paris
Almost French: A New Life in Paris
by Sarah Turnbull

3.0 out of 5 stars as she rarely discusses her love for her French boyfriend, 21 Aug. 2014
I've lived and worked in southern France for almost a decade, so was expecting to recognise some of my own experience of culture shock in her descriptions of adapting to life in France. To some degree I did, but I also found the book curiously dispassionate - literally in some ways, as she rarely discusses her love for her French boyfriend. This leaves the story lacking a motive for her perseverance, and you wonder if she's just going through the motions for journalistic reasons.

It's also odd that so little is made of her struggles with the language barrier (a recurring and very real problem for long-term expats). If she's so keen to get under the skin of the culture, why only do a 4-week language course?

Finally, I was a little irritated by the fact that the book seemed to be written for an American audience, and contained frequent jibes about the British. References to sometimes strained Anglo-French relations is hardly cutting-edge investigative journalism! In fact, as is the "revelation" that Parisian women like to look smart. Well, no crap Sherlock!

Worth reading by those who really don't know France, or maybe on the beach or the train - anywhere you don't need to bust out too many brain cells.

Goodnight Mister Tom
Goodnight Mister Tom
by Michelle Magorian

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely moving, 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom (Paperback)
This is one of the most moving books I've ever read, be it adult or children's literature. It's well written, the main characters of Willie and Tom beautifully drawn, and the author pulls every possible emotion out of you. Having said all that I do have a caveat: it's harrowing in places, with a couple of detailed, truly nauseating descriptions of child abuse. I read it with my mature 11 year old, and I'm glad I did as I felt we needed to talk about it together afterwards. I wouldn't recommend it for younger children, but for top end of primary onwards, it's a modern classic.

Remington CB65A45 Keratin Therapy Pro Volume Styler
Remington CB65A45 Keratin Therapy Pro Volume Styler
Offered by Electrical Emporium

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture and description misleading!, 25 Mar. 2013
I was a bit disappointed with this product. Although it seems good quality, it simply doesn't do what it says on the box: create volume and curls. Well, I think you get volume, but as some other people have commented, definitely not curls. I have shoulder-blade length hair which normally styles very well, but even after hours of practising with this I had to sadly conclude that I wasn't going to achieve anything like the bouncy waves the model sports in the picture on the box. Having said all that, it did leave my hair with more volume and smooth.

So it depends on what you're looking for: curls or even defined waves, this isn't the product for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2013 11:47 AM BST

Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook
Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook
by Mary Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with family-friendly meals, 18 Feb. 2013
I do understand people's concerns about the shark recipes, and their inclusion was clearly an error of judgement. However, since the publisher has already confirmed they will be removed for the next edition, let's ignore those and judge the hundreds of other recipes the book contains.

I received it as a gift, and to start with was a bit put off by the format of several recipes squashed into each double-page. It doesn't look as trendy as some contemporary cookbooks: no glamorous full-page photos of each recipe. Due to the lack of unusual ingredients, the recipes don't feel as cutting-edge and stylish as some either. What Mary does really well though is present family-friendly and realistic recipes for the working week. I've tried a number of them and have always been pleasantly surprised by how straightforward and tasty they were. Lots of practical tips and suggestions are included to help novice chefs.

Overall, I would say excellent value for families and less-confident cooks.

It's A Bear's Life
It's A Bear's Life
by Anna Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fond memories!, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: It's A Bear's Life (Paperback)
My son loved this book so much when we took out the library, that I bought it for him..... that was 8 years ago, and amusingly it's one of the few stories he couldn't bear to be parted from when we recently cleared out his bedroom! Over the years it's come out time and again for him and his younger sister, often in times of need of comfort. The pictures are nicely done, and I think the children can relate to the relationship between Parker and Oscar. Simple, but effective.

Perfect German (Learn German with the Michel Thomas Method)
Perfect German (Learn German with the Michel Thomas Method)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Method with a strong focus on speaking, 22 Jun. 2012
I studied German at university level some 20 years ago, and needed to brush up quickly. This seemed to be the only option at this level, and I have to say I've been slightly disappointed. Perhaps because I didn't follow the beginners' course, I don't really understand Michel Thomas's terminology, for example "dive" and "handles". He purposely avoids traditional grammar terms, I assume in order to make the course more of a modern and natural method of learning to speak the language. However, for people like me who learnt the traditional way, it's actually rather confusing.

You have to constantly hit the pause button on your CD player to give yourself a chance to respond before the CD does it for you. I also found Michel Thomas's constant halting of the students to highlight minor problems in their pronunciation somewhat tiresome. Finally, by the umpteenth track using the same technique, I started to get a bit bored. Personally, I like to mix up activities to consolidate what I've learnt. As an experienced languages teacher, I think a class with a good teacher is a better way to learn. Having said all that, if you need a course you can do at home, and prefer to learn in a more oral, natural way, then this does manage to get a large amount of vocabulary over fairly quickly. He is also very systematic in the way he builds up grammatical structures.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2012 7:06 PM GMT

Focus on IELTS Coursebook
Focus on IELTS Coursebook
by Sue O'Connell

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for teachers, 9 Nov. 2011
I teach IELTS and simply don't have time to prepare every lesson from scratch, so I found this textbook very useful. It's clearly laid out with interesting subjects and appropriate visuals. I also found it very focused towards the exam with lots of exercises practising essential skills such as skimming and scanning, recording key academic vocabulary etc.

I supplemented my lessons with extra grammar practice, which this book doesn't really deal with, and writing practice for task 2 in the exam, which many students have difficulties with.

I agree with a previous reviewer that it's better suited to the classroom than independent study: I found that I needed to help my students understand the process as well as the product. I also feel that a teacher is needed for the writing element in order to guide students to properly structure texts, and to help with coherence and cohesion.

My Naughty Little Sister (BBC Audio)
My Naughty Little Sister (BBC Audio)
by Dorothy Edwards
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming and amusing, 21 July 2011
It's true there are a few clues that these stories were written sixty or so years ago: the coalman, the petticoats and hair ribbons. However, there's still something remarkably fresh about these stories; I suppose children's basic motivations and behaviours haven't changed so much in spite of the advent of Playstations etc. We bought this for a car journey for my 5 year old daughter, and not only did she love the stories, but we did too, and even her 9 year old brother (who pretended to be too old for them) admitted they were funny. They include situations like parties, school, Father Xmas, that I imagine most young children could relate to. Jan Francis is just the right narrator too. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2