Profile for TimB > Reviews

Content by TimB

TimB (Wrexham, North Wales)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Extra energy for endurance events, 2 Sept. 2013
Don't know whether this works or is a placebo, however I've bee using Beet It shots for most races this year and have achieved some excellent performances. They can't hurt; I've certainly had no bad side effects apart from purple pee, of course... ;)

Am-Tech 3-in-1 Pipe Bender
Am-Tech 3-in-1 Pipe Bender

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, but not high quality, 9 Mar. 2012
Good value for money but you wouldn't want to use this on any pipe bends that can be seen as it distorts the pipe. Whilst it looks the same as more expensive benders, it doesn't perform as well. However, if you only have a few bends to do and these will be hidden under floorboards, etc., then it does the job.

Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Multisport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Multisport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top training aid, 17 Feb. 2010
Quite simply the best training aid I have ever used. I'd used a Garmin Edge 205 previously; as a training aid, having an accurate measure of pace, speed and distance was excellent, although it was designed for cycling and not running.
Step forward the Garmin Forerunner 310xt: speed, pace, distance, heart-rate; designed for triathletes so is waterproof for the swim and designed for running and cycling. I love this thing! It's a bit bulky on your wrist, but the screen is clear with up to 4 items being displayed at once. I use this for pace running, with the auto-lap set to buzz every 1km and tell me how I'm doing. I use it cycling, to tell me how far and how fast I'm going. I use it on the treadmill in the gym as a HRM to make sure I'm pushing just enough. Then I download everything to my PC to look through and see how I did and discuss with my coach. I get instant feedback of my pace and effort. I haven't used the "virtual trainer" yet to give me a computer-generated "rabbit" to chase, but that's just one aspect that I haven't fully explored yet! Roll on a season of training and improving with this beasty.

Heroes, Villains and Velodromes: Chris Hoy and Britain's Track Cycling Revolution
by Richard Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars An insight to a hidden world, 13 Feb. 2009
An excellent book covering the development of British track cycling with a focus on Chris Hoy, of course. Very readable, I found it hard to put down. Other sports could learn a great deal from the planning, development and teamwork of British Cycling to become a world beater.

Targus Wireless Optical Mouse / Pointer / Presenter
Targus Wireless Optical Mouse / Pointer / Presenter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable mouse and presenter, 26 Nov. 2008
I bought this item as I was after a remote presenter for use with Powerpoint and wanted a small device that would do the job. Having a combined mouse/presenter makes a lot of sense, as it means just one device to tote around in the bag. This is also great value for money. Much better than just a cordless mouse for the same money!

The pros - nice, weighty device with a good feel to it. Fits in my hand nicely for presenting and does a good job as both mouse and presenter. The laser is a useful tool, too.

The cons - a bit small as a mouse but perfectly useable; has a delay whilst it comes out of "sleep" when you haven't used it for a while; fitting the batteries was a right fiddle (but that's a one-time job!). Also, the extra buttons are a bit pointless whilst presenting - "Esc" exits your presentation; "Alt-Tab" toggles to the previous application; "Internet" - why on earth would I need to start this with a mouse? I'd need a keyboard, anyway. Would be much better to have a "B" for black/blank screen on there, or have these configurable.

However, the Pros outweigh the Cons and this still gets 5 stars for value for money. I could have bought a presenter-only device and had the "B" button, but I can live without that for the price!

Dance: UK Wirefree Karaoke Microphone (PS2/PSone)
Dance: UK Wirefree Karaoke Microphone (PS2/PSone)

5.0 out of 5 stars A bargain radio mic'!, 26 Nov. 2008
I bought this microphone to use with a PA system, rather than for the PS2/PSone game, as it was described as suitable for karaoke systems.
It's brilliant and a real bargain; in fact just as good as many costing a lot more! The headset fits well and grips firmly; the transmitter is small and can be clipped discretely to your belt or waistband. The receiver is also compact and comes with the required connecting lead - even a 3.5mm to ¼" jack adapter. I was also pleasantly surprised to find an alkaline 9V battery in the box - you'd pay more for the battery alone!
Like any microphone, you need to position it carefully to avoid "breath" noises. You can switch the microphone on and off on the transmitter without any annoying "thump", so this will be ideal for making announcements whilst wandering around. I may even try it with a tieclip (lavalier) mic'. Then it'd be great for making videos, too - the receiver is battery powered (it will work on a 9V adapter) so you could use it anywhere.
Just one thing to watch - it's fixed frequency, so if there are any other people using this or a similar mic' in the close area, you'll have interference. But what can you expect for the price - this ain't Pro' gear, but it's darned good!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2008 2:46 PM GMT

CCNP BSCI Exam Certification Guide (CCNP Self-study)
CCNP BSCI Exam Certification Guide (CCNP Self-study)
by Clare Gough

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing from Cisco Press, 15 Mar. 2004
Bought this book along with the CCNP Self Study guide to renew my CCNP and CCDP certifications as the exam content has changed over the past few years. I've had loads of CiscoPress books before and found them excellent, however for a textbook this is poor. Whilst the content is there, the style is a bit too friendly and chatty and there are loads of simple mistakes. This makes it hard to know whether you're learning the correct commands for the exam. I've been back to Paquet & Teare "Building Scalable Cisco Networks" many times to confirm or get the correct syntax. Whilst you cannot be expected to get everything from a book and should use [...] and experience as well, the text book should be accurate.
That said, the layout follows the traditional and excellent Cisco Press format of getting more complicated as you go through it.
Don't rely on this alone, but do base your studies on it.

CIW Security Professional Study Guide: Exam 1D0-470
CIW Security Professional Study Guide: Exam 1D0-470
by James Stanger

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent exam guide and technical reference, 29 Oct. 2003
I took and passed the CIW Security Professional exam having read through this book and worked through the sample questions at the end of each chapter and on the CD-ROM. So it must be OK!
However, you will need to be fairly proficient in basic networking and have a good understanding of Microsoft Windows 2000 / Linux operating systems to succeed.
If you're after an exam guide, this is ideal. However, don't expect it to have all of the answers - there were a couple of questions in the exam which I wasn't prepared for. So be sure to have a decent knowledge of Win2000, IIS, Linux, Apache and so on as well!
As a single point of reference, it will point you in the right direction if the answer's not there. There's some good stuff in here that makes for an extremely handy reference guide, although there are a few places where it simply refers out to additional material on the web.

Policy Based Networking: Architecture and Algorithms (Technology)
Policy Based Networking: Architecture and Algorithms (Technology)
by Dinesh Verma

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy to read guide, 7 Sept. 2002
An excellent review of Policy Based Networking, which gives a clear overview followed by some in-depth discussion of the topic. If you need to gain an understanding of how to implement network policies when managing your network, then this is ideal. It doesn't cover the political arguments about policies; leave that to the management books by Porter and the like.
The writing style means that you don't need to be a network guru to understand this topic, but even if you are it will certainly cover policy management in a single volume that you will come back to as a reference guide.