Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (South Wirral, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano
Edimax EW-7811Un N150 Wireless USB Adapter Nano

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work with Ubuntu 10.10 or Windows XP, 8 Mar. 2011
I bought this to install on an old laptop on which I run Ubuntu 10.10. It did not work. I went to the Ubuntu forums and found a fix, I tried it twice, but it still did not work. I then tried installing it on a old computer which runs on Windows XP, but this time the installation disc did not work. I'm sending it back.

Two Worlds (PC DVD)
Two Worlds (PC DVD)
Offered by PNA247

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Demo Version, 21 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Two Worlds (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I'm surprised no one has written a review of this, so here goes.

First of all I must clarify that I'm writing a review of the downloadable demo, not the game. I almost never buy a game unless I play the demo first. The game looked good, very similar to Oblivion in many ways. The inventory and combat systems were quite straightforward. But the sound did not work! I tried several times to get it to work without success. Doing some research I have since found out that like many games this one is very "buggy", and the lack of sound is a known bug. There are bugfixes out there, but they are for the game not the demo and I don't know if they fix the sound problem. My advice to buyers is to proceed with caution and try the demo first.

Condottiere 1300-1500: Infamous medieval mercenaries (Warrior)
Condottiere 1300-1500: Infamous medieval mercenaries (Warrior)
by David Murphy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, but feels like something's missing., 27 July 2007
This book gives an excellent although brief account of the Italian condottiere of the 14th and 15th centuries. It gives details on their methods of recruitment, background, tactics, arms and equipment. As always Graham Turner's reconstructions are of excellent quality. His depiction of a group of condottiere on the march and his reconstruction of a late 15th century heavily armoured condottiere man-at-arms are particularly evocative.

So why only 3 stars? My problem is not in the "quality" (which was excellent) but the "quantity" of the work. I remember when the number of colour plates in a "Warrior" book was 12, somehow this seems to have shrunk down to 8. Also we only have detailed reconstructions of men from the beginning and the end of the period. I felt we also needed another plate depicting a condottiere from the middle of the period, e.g. circa 1390 or 1420. I also noted that there were no black and white photos of items from the Churburg armoury, this seems something of an oversight when they are such an important source of information on Italian knights of this period.

Overall though, this is a solid and respectable addition to Osprey's Warrior series. I look forwards eagerly to future books by Murphy and Turner.

The Real Fighting Stuff: Arms and Armour at Glasgow Museums
The Real Fighting Stuff: Arms and Armour at Glasgow Museums
by Tobias Capwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, bravo Dr Capwell, 8 Jun. 2007
This book by Dr Tobias Capwell is both a good introduction to the European arms and Armour in the Glasgow Museums and an overview of Western European arms and armour in general. It has beautiful pictures of the famous "Avant" armour, including a reconstruction of the armour's original appearence by leading Illustrator Graham Turner and of the Armour of William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke. There is also plenty of detailed information on weapons, in particular Medieval arming swords. The reason I don't give it the full 5 stars is because some of photos are a bit small and incomplete, such as the black early 16th century armour, which despite being depicted on the cover, only gets a very small picture in the book with virtually no description. Still an excellent effort and a worthwhile addition to the bookshelf of the general reader as well as those interested in Western European arms and armour. I am eagerly looking forward to Dr Capwell's next book, a detailed catalogue of the European Arms and Armour in the Wallace collection.

Amazon also excelled on this occasion in that they managed to get it to me in just under 4 weeks. 27 days to be exact.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2012 11:54 PM GMT

The Siege of Arrandin (The Arrandin trilogy)
The Siege of Arrandin (The Arrandin trilogy)
by Marcus Herniman

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull, 20 Feb. 2000
What a boring book, I have read a lot of really bad fantasy, but this is one of the worst. I really had to struggle through it. The story is unoriginal, the setting is so standard as to be cliché-ed. The characters are numerous, cardboard, and have names impossible to remember, I quite frankly could not care less about them anyway. It may even be mildly racist, however it is so bad you cannot really tell. A truly mediocre book.

Page: 1 | 2