Profile for Doug > Reviews

Farrar
Farrar
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite delightful, just sublime, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Farrar (Audio CD)
I am not sure how I would interpret the magnificent Scottish countryside and scenery, the weather, the unique atmosphere, as a musical track, but Duncan does it exquisitely. This is highly evocative of feelings and emotion and delights my soul. The tracks vary from melancholic to slow and beautifully expressive to something a little more upbeat. If you are feeling a bit low put this on, it will match your mood then lift it leaving you feeling altogether better. Quite delightful, just sublime.

THE ROAD TO FIND OUT EAST
THE ROAD TO FIND OUT EAST

4.0 out of 5 stars Facing in a good direction, 20 Feb. 2015
I missed the fact that this CD has only FOUR tracks, possibly because Amazon did not list the tracks. So, it's expensive value for money, but value it is. Each of the four tracks, two written for Oklahoma and Les Miserables and two written by Ramin, are delightful interpretations. His voice sounds better here than on the previous CD 'Ramin'. It begs for more, which I hope will follow soon, as this is meant to be a project for West, North, South to follow. I wait with eager anticipation.

Ramin
Ramin
Offered by mrtopseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything I Do, is great, maybe less so this, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Ramin (Audio CD)
After hearing Ramin in Love Never Dies and being blown away by Till I Hear You Sing, I am somewhat disappointed in this selection. This is trying to appeal to an audience beyond musical theatre. Some tracks are good, brave covers, especially of Everything I Do. Music of the Night and Till I Hear You Sing may please or disappoint, as they are different versions from the original musical. I feel the sound of the whole things suffers from too much music and not enough of Ramin's astounding voice. Is it over-produced? Overall it's alright and I've only listened once. It will likely grow on me, I hope.

Zeljko Joksimovic - Najlepse Balade
Zeljko Joksimovic - Najlepse Balade

5.0 out of 5 stars Serbian Gold, 12 May 2013
I loved Zeljko Joksimovic when he sang Lane Moje for Serbia and Montenegro at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2004. He came second. He appeared again in 2012 and was third. I decided to check him out and he is a well respected artist in the Balkans having produced several albums.
I love the composition of the songs with interesting and unusual orchestration and occasional backing singers. Having checked out translations of the lyrics, he sings about love and relationships. He does so in a beautiful, almost haunting, mesmeric way with feeling and emotion.
I love this album and haven't stopped playing it since I downloaded it from Amazon. Glad to see that the Eurovision Song Context, much maligned and disrespected, can produce such quality artists who have a successful career beyond the competion and not just an isolated participant.

Strange Kind Of Love
Strange Kind Of Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful to hear again, 23 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Strange Kind Of Love (Audio CD)
I loved Love and Money when they first released songs, but have found it difficult to get their material in recent years. I was therefore delighted to see Strange Kind of Love rereleased and with bonus tracks. The CD contains many brilliant tracks that it's a pure pleasure to hear again. I couldn't stop playing it. Everywhere I look on the Internet about Love and Money can't praise them highly enough. They were a Scottish band that perhaps did not get the the public reach or acclaim they deserved at the time, but definately should now. A great lost treasure, a great treat for the ears and the soul. Quite wonderful.
I'm not sure of the worth of the extra demo tracks, which for me don't live up to the final cuts earlier on the CD. That doesn't detract from the eleven earlier superb tracks.

The Performance
The Performance
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Dame Shirley Bassey Continues To Delight, 24 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Performance (Audio CD)
Dame Shirley Bassey is looking amazing and her voice is as good as ever. I have just been to see the BBC Electric Prom at the Roundhouse in Camden, London. Her performance at age 72 for an hour and a half was beautiful, emotional and quite extraordinary. I wanted to cry I was so happy to be standing in the intimate atmosphere with people around me whooping, squealing and exclaiming. The atmosphere was 'electric' and full of love and admiration of our Dame. The new songs, written by current artists, sounded stunning and were delivered with emotion and subtlety in a softer tone and the expected DSB style . Quite captivating and entrancing. I was blown away, as always. DSB is an incredible lady that I want to hear much more of. Thankfully age has not diminished her voice or performance skills. She is truly astounding and I defy anyone to not be impressed by her performance. There is definately much more to be had from the delicious Dame. She never fails to impress.

Keep It Simple
Keep It Simple

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeping it too simple, 18 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Keep It Simple (Audio CD)
I agree with almost all the previous reviewers. Keep It Simple is nothing special at all. It's mediocre with no outstanding tracks. I just think Van is no longer the Man. His voice, while still in tune and sounding good, sounds too much the same on all the tracks. Yes, listen to previews before buying, as it may not be worth it.
If you have seen Van live, and I have several times over the years, he is usually brilliant. He doesn't speak much in between songs and walks off with no encore. Arrogant, I don't know. His social skills with an audiance are lacking.
If you want something better try his back catalogue. Several CDs have just been rereleased and remastered with bonus tracks for £7, with more to follow. His live CDs are especially good - 1973 It's Too Late To Stop Now (just amazing, uplifting, at a peak, buy it!), 1984 Live at the Grand Opera House Belfast and 1994 A Night in San Francisco (outstanding with Brian Kennedy, Jimmy Witherspoon, Candi Dulfer on sax, Georgie Fame).
If you are missing his back catalogue there is much better material to fill your time and to enjoy than Keep It Simple.
If you get the chance to see him live then do. I'm sure he can still cut it live. He is a unique performer an there is a lifetime's work out there if you just find your favourite CDs from it.