Profile for PJordan > Reviews

Burley Trailer Extra Hitch for Pet & Child Trailers
Burley Trailer Extra Hitch for Pet & Child Trailers
Offered by mega-bikes - professional bicycle parts - fast shipping

3.0 out of 5 stars A replacement hitch, 19 July 2017
Purchased as a replacement hitch for my lost original aluminium forged Burley bracket. Thoroughly effective and efficient for what it is albeit also grossly expensive for such a basic bit of metal. I'd also like to see Burley come up with an alternative solution for quick release wheels that offered the option to bolt the bracket to braze on's instead

Teach Yourself Make the Most of Your Caravan
Teach Yourself Make the Most of Your Caravan
by Rob McCabe

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy reference guide for the novice, 19 July 2017
I bought this guide just after the purchase of my first caravan. Some other reviews have pointed out that it's a worthy purchase prior to making your purchase to get yourself better informed. Very useful for the absolute novice although even someone with minimum experience might be inclined to feel like they're being told how to suck eggs. What I would have welcomed more of would have been a chapter or two dealing with kitting out a caravan with equipment and the pros and cons of various crockery, drapery, bedding, supplementary furniture etc for both a caravan and awning and discussions on weigh saving recommendations to have a fully kitted caravan always ready to go with minimal preparation.

Fire and Brimstone: The North Butte Mining Disaster of 1917
Fire and Brimstone: The North Butte Mining Disaster of 1917
by Michael Punke

4.0 out of 5 stars A narrative of the consequences of political and corporate corruption in Butte mining, 19 July 2017
My interest was drawn to this story by a 100 year anniversary commemoration held in Barnacarrol co Mayo in June 2017 for Mike Conroy, one of the first known victims of this tragedy. Mike was one of two courageous firemen who ventured down the mine shaft shortly after the initial fire started and the two got burnt alive in the cage. It is a wonderful well researched and referenced albeit harrowing account of one of the US's worst mining tragedies of the 20th century. The story also has unfortunate echoes even today of how the poor and the ordinary working man suffers under corporate greed and politician corruption. It'd be nice to be able to say the practices documented here are a thing of the past but unfortunately they've only got more subtle and polished in their implementation.

Bluetooth Shower Speaker, TaoTronics Water Resistant  Wireless bluetooth Speaker (Build-in Microphone, Solid Suction Cup, 6 hrs Play Time)
Bluetooth Shower Speaker, TaoTronics Water Resistant Wireless bluetooth Speaker (Build-in Microphone, Solid Suction Cup, 6 hrs Play Time)
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing product, as described, 15 Feb. 2016
Excellent product. Good sound for size. Easy connection to smartphones via Bluetooth. Plays any media streaming on smartphone (music, radio apps, YouTube, etc). Haven't used the phone function yet so can't comment but can't imagine needing to be on the phone in the shower too frequently

The Shankill Butchers: A Case Study of Mass Murder
The Shankill Butchers: A Case Study of Mass Murder
by Martin Dillon

4.0 out of 5 stars An account of psychotic savagery on a massive scale, 5 Jun. 2015
A truly harrowing account of sectarian influenced savagery in war zone Northern Ireland of the 1970's that, were it played out in any other part of civilised Western Europe at the time, would have been investigated and pursued as the the work of a dangerous band of psycho killers, which it was. Even the narrative and subsequent history surrounding the incident and the evolution and consequences of this book illustrate what a maligned and hateful environment Northern Ireland had become at that stage, many of the reprecussions and consequences of which persist to this day, despite the peace agreements.

The Artist on the Island: A Winter on Achillbeg
The Artist on the Island: A Winter on Achillbeg
by Pete Hogan

4.0 out of 5 stars One man on an island against the Atlantic, 5 Jun. 2015
Whilst admittedly not up there with the great solo oddessys ala Robinson Crusoe or Selkirk, this is nonetheless an insightful account of the considerable trials and tribulations of a somewhat eccentric outsider of sorts trying to survive on a remote island on the West coast of Ireland.

The narrative is written in in retrospect documenting the account of a year spent on the island of Achill Beg in the early 1980's and even this in itself is a insightful narrative of the changes that the intervening 30 years have wrought in this part of the world (as well as some things that have not changed at all)

Whilst at times overtly introspective and even self indulgent, even this weakness can be forgiven for offering a glimpse of the kind of temporary madness that seizes one trying to preserve their sanity and their integrity as a loner in such challenging conditions.

Like many of the similar accounts and experiences of those that challenged the cold and damp and harrowing elements of living on the extreme Atlantic coast of Ireland, this is not a particularly uplifting tale or narrative of triumph over adversity. And like so many similar accounts, it is with some eventual relief that the author brings his sojorn to an end in the summertime and retreats to the relative comfort of his boat the Molly B to head south away from this hostile and unforgiving place.

South of Broad
South of Broad
by Pat Conroy

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Conroy's best, 8 Jan. 2015
This review is from: South of Broad (Paperback)
In Pat Conroy's most recent work I noted his aversion to critics and his life long avoidance of engaging in criticism of other writers himself. Mindful of such perspective from a great author, who has in the past produced memorable works of stunning beauty and poetic detail, I'm reluctant to heap too much in the way of criticism on this work. However, I think part of the problem with each successive Conroy work is the hopes and expectations that his followers have come to expect from previous novels and they have set a very high bar to follow.

Because, by his own admission, much of Conroy's fiction has it's roots in autobiography and personal experiences, one often feels that they have encountered similar characters in different guises before. In this work however some of the characters venture that bit too far into formulaic or cliche and one is left longing for the more rounded and believable characters that one either loved or hated or pitied (or all three) in previous novels.

Personally I found this one hard going and almost gave up on it a few times before persisting to finally finish it. But even then I was disappointed both with the entire work but also especially with the formulaic or cliche nature of the conclusion.

ASUS Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
ASUS Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
Offered by Phonic Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little tablet., 8 Jan. 2015
I spent a long time researching the options for a small tablet and eventually settled on this when most recommendations pointed to it above all other similar models.

I find it an excellent size for surfing the net, listening to music and even streaming TV programmes (I even watched a few of the World cup matches on it during the summer). By connecting to my home network drive (an not overly complicated process after a few attempts) I'm also able to watch my movies on it without using up its own hard drive space.

Battery life is not too bad, but I've generally developed the habit of plugging it in after use as, from experience, I've returned to find the battery dead after leaving it on standby a few times.

Oileain - the Irish Islands Guide
Oileain - the Irish Islands Guide
by David Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars THE great reference volume for Irish offshore Islands, 8 Jan. 2015
This updated version of David Walsh's indispensable classic for Irish offshore adventurers is most welcome. The level of dedication and evidence of its compilation being something of a labour of love by the author is evident in every page. In addition it is a beautifully compiled and presented book, with stunning accompanying photographs, very good maps and Irish grid references, along with a plethora of other useful information for the boater or sea kayaker (or anyone else contemplating a visit to any of the Irish offshore islands). I'm especially fond of the most educational and informative vignettes which have taught me things I'd never known before, such as the impact that a Tsunami caused by the 1755 Lisbon earthquake had on parts of the Atlantic coast of Ireland.
I heartily recommend this as a companion volume to anyone with a love of the seas around Ireland, either to peruse as a coffee table reference by the armchair enthusiast, or as a reference for those out on the waves (even if you might be advised to photocopy and waterproof the relevant pages before embarking rather than bring the whole book - but I'm sure that is a sentiment that Mr Walsh wouldn't object to so long as you've already bought his wonderful book!)

SONOS PLAY:1 Smart Wireless Speaker, Black
SONOS PLAY:1 Smart Wireless Speaker, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The way forward, 29 Dec. 2014
6 years ago I splashed a lot of cash for a high end stereo system comprising amp and surround sound speakers all connected into my DVD player. The emergence of a high quality option from Sonos which can be gradually built one component at a time with each component capable of functioning independently threatens to make the sort of system I invested in totally obsolete. Indeed I would advocate anyone considering options for either a surround sound or multi room systems to start your considerations at Sonos (and in truth you probably won't need to go any further) .

Apart from the undeniable build quality (as well as handsome appearance) of the Sonos components, the other major attraction lies in the versatility of the system. One can commence at a relatively low outlay with just a single Play:1 speaker and build the system from there into a stereo, surround sound or multi room options whilst all the time having control at ones fingertips via the controlling app on ones iphone or tablet to access either your personal library of mp3's on your network or alternatively to stream Internet radio or a whole variety of subscription music services (e.g. Deezer)

I've only started so far with my single speaker and a bridge (not essential as any speaker plugged into a network is capable of functioning as a router) but so impressed am I already that I'm already looking forward to the future possibilities of paired speakers and multi room options.

Update (08/01/15): I have been using the system now for over two weeks and like others on here I grow more impressed by the day. Indeed I am listening to more music than I've done in years and rediscovering gems I'd forgotten. Re the criticism of the library only being able to access 60k tracks one is compelled to question why would you possibly want access to more than 60k tracks at any time? (I only have <60k tracks on my network drive anyway) But that said I've found the year's subscription to Deezer to be a great bonus (even if it has facilitated my little ones to listen to the Frozen soundtrack over and over, but I suppose one must just "let it go"). The only minor quibble I have to date is that whilst the app performs perfectly on my Nexus 7 tablet, the initial connectivity via my iphone app is occasionally prone to having to search for the system or my having to go through the process of "finding an existing system" (But this might also be due to my having 3 different wireless hubs within my house).

My main indecision before purchase was whether to opt for a Play:1 or a Play:5. If budget is your issue start with a single Play:1, you won't be disappointed. But already I've added a second Play:1 to my wish list for my rather large kitchen/living room, not because there isn't sufficient volume or quality of sound out of the single speaker, but rather that I like the idea of having a stereo system with speakers at either side of the room while I'm cooking (and I've found all kinds of excuses to retreat to the kitchen in the past two weeks!)

Page: 1 | 2