Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Midlife Kitchen: health-boosting recipes for midlife & beyond
The Midlife Kitchen: health-boosting recipes for midlife & beyond

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay.........., 7 May 2017
This is a beautiful book and some of the recipes look good. It offers a fairly balanced approach and doesn't demonise carbs.

But I'm not sure it offers much that is new. It reminds me strongly of Jamie Oliver's "Everyday Superfood" and Nigella's "Feel Good Food", both of which seem to be an attempt to mainstream "clean eating" trends without the faddiness. I think they are perhaps slightly more accessible than this book.

I was also a little irritated by the choice of microscopic print for the introductory sections (the authors are quite young midlifers, maybe they aren't familiar with the stage when your middle aged eyes are starting to need reading glasses and you are resisting it) and by the constant references to living the good life in Bali ("We ate these gorgeous wraps after a class at the famous Yoga rooms in Bali").

But the book will probably inspire some of us to eat a few more veggies and a little less junk which can't be bad.

The Diet Trap Solution: Train Your Brain To Lose Weight And Keep It Off For Good
by Beck Phd, Judith S Beck

5.0 out of 5 stars A voice of reason in a world of fad diets, 10 May 2015
I am a big fan of Beck's Diet Solution and wondered if this would add anything new. The first part is a summary of what she calls the Foundation Strategies. This is a summary of her earlier work and will be very familiar if you own her other books. I found it a useful and concise refresher of her approach, which I believe is 100% effective - if you use it consistently.

And there's the key - and the reason for the second part of the book. Losing weight is hard - but keeping it off is even harder. Finding the motivation to do what we know we need to do, after the initial novelty of losing weight has work off, can be nearly impossible for many of us. This book gets to the very heart of why we regain, and offers clear strategies to avoid the diet traps that derail us.

Beck's work is based on CBT - changing the way we talk to ourselves. Working through the earlier books I experienced the incredible feeling of hearing my positive self talk pop into my head at the exact moment I was about to chuck my food plan out of the window. The second part of this book offers powerful self talk for the moments when it is so easy to think it's not worth it and give up.

Beck's approach is not a quick fix.She encourages slow weight loss and is very strong on the need to incorporate moderate, planned portions of junk food into your diet to avoid the diet/binge cycle. This is a balanced, sustainable and powerful approach to lifetime maintenance of a healthy weight.

Beck's strategies helped me lose 3 stone in 2011, and to keep most of it off for the last four years. It's been far from perfect, but I am slimmer, fitter and healthier now in my 50s than I was 30 years ago. This latest book is the final piece of the jigsaw, putting in place the strong habits and forward planning needed to avoid the common diet traps of stress, emotional eating, social pressure and eating out.

If you are already familiar with Beck's work, but struggle to implement the strategies consistently, this is the book you have been waiting for. if you're new to the Beck approach, this book has all the information you need to get started, though the earlier work goes into the foundation strategies in more detail, which some may find helpful.

In a world where quick fixes and extreme diet plans have left us fatter than ever, Judith Beck is a voice of reason. Her approach is not easy - but it does get easier as time goes on. Highly recommended, especially for any of us have ever wondered how we can be so successful at the diet one week and find it impossible to get back on track the next.........

Clarks Orinoco Sash, Women's Boots black Size: 9 UK
Clarks Orinoco Sash, Women's Boots black Size: 9 UK
Offered by AKAStore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boots, 31 Jan. 2015
I have lived in these boots this winter. Really comfortable, great with jeans and leggings, love them.

Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects

1.0 out of 5 stars I just couldn't bring myself to finish this - a ..., 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Sharp Objects (Kindle Edition)
I just couldn't bring myself to finish this - a thoroughly unpleasant heroine, a vast cast of stereotypical bitchy female characters and a rambling narrative....no redeeming features. Really wish I hadn't bothered.

Understanding Feelings: Key Stage 1 (Growing Up Today)
Understanding Feelings: Key Stage 1 (Growing Up Today)
by Ros Bayley

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great little resource, 28 Dec. 2014
This is a great little resource, uses popular picture books to explore difficult emotions, worked very well with my year 4/5 EBD class.

Creative Ways To Teach Primary Science (UK Higher Education OUP Humanities & Social Sciences Educati)
by Alan Cross

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really comprehensive and inspiring guide to teaching ..., 28 Dec. 2014
This is a really comprehensive and inspiring guide to teaching science in a creative and exciting way. Lots of practical ideas and interesting strategies have got my class thinking and exploring with a real sense of excitement...... which is exactly how primary science should be, in my opinion.

What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew? (Wells of Knowledge Science (Paperback))
What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew? (Wells of Knowledge Science (Paperback))
by Robert E Wells

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book (it's nearly as good as the companion ..., 8 Nov. 2014
I love this book (it's nearly as good as the companion "Is a Blue whale the biggest thing there is", which blew my mind the first time I read it and really appreciated just how little we are in the scale of things). I used it with my year 4/5 class, they enjoyed it and it helped them understand a little more about microscopic creatures, molecules and atoms. A lovely, accessible book.

Rasta Hair Net - Snood
Rasta Hair Net - Snood

5.0 out of 5 stars They are great for keeping your hair back when cooking and a ..., 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Rasta Hair Net - Snood (Apparel)
This is the 3rd snood I've bought from this company. They are great for keeping your hair back when cooking and a little more stylish than a cap or standard hair net. This one was a present for my son who is a keen cook and reggae fan - keeps his dreads out of the way and looks pretty good on him.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2015 10:36 AM BST

Eames Bone China Crayons Mug
Eames Bone China Crayons Mug

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Love these mugs.

Dunlop Nudie Tees
Dunlop Nudie Tees

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Dunlop Nudie Tees (Misc.)
Dunlop, stop making these now.

Page: 1 | 2