Profile for Beam Me Up Scottie > Reviews

Content by Beam Me Up Scottie

Beam Me Up Scottie "Scott" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Betron B750s Earphones Headphones, High Definition, in-ear, Tangle Free, Noise Isolating , HEAVY DEEP BASS for iPhone, iPod, iPad, MP3 Players, Samsung Galaxy, Nokia, HTC, Nexus, BlackBerry etc (Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tangle-free satisfaction, 30 April 2015
A colleague in the office had these and recommended them. I'm always getting my earphone cable tangled so got these. And they do indeed stay untangled and the sound is pretty excellent too. Good price, speedy delivery, does what it says on the tin. What else could yo ask for?

Dead Line
Dead Line

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful ending, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dead Line (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book until it got to the denouement. The ending was a complete cop-out. The author had obviously written himself into a corner and couldn't think of an original and logical way to wrap it up. Waste of time and money.

Cablesson Basic 1.5m / 1.5 meter Micro (Type D) HDMI to HDMI High Speed Cable with Ethernet (Latest 1.4a / 2.0 version) Gold Plated 3D Full HD 1080p 4k2k For Connecting HD Devices using the new Micro HDMI connector for Microsoft Surface tablet, Digital SLR Cameras, Mobile Phone and Other Tablets.
Offered by HDCentral

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for connecting tablet to TV, 15 Jun. 2014
My partner bought a tablet and wanted to play videos from it on our TV. Got a couple of these cables and they're just great. And very sensibly priced too. Was despatched the same day as ordered and arrived the next day. Highly recommended.

Terry Wogan - Is it me?: Terry Wogan - An Autobiography
Terry Wogan - Is it me?: Terry Wogan - An Autobiography

2.0 out of 5 stars Mr Wogan needs a good editor, 18 May 2014
I'm a great fan of Terry Wogan. But his writing style is dreadful and I struggled to finish this book. It had no structure and I kept flicking back and forth to try and figure out where I was in his life. With someone to show him how to structure an autobiography, it might have been a good book. As it is, stick to his radio shows, much better.

Or the Bull Kills You: (Max Cámara 1)
Or the Bull Kills You: (Max Cámara 1)
by Jason Webster

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit hit and miss, 18 May 2014
There is an incident near the start of the story which the main character basically ignores. I failed to suspend disbelief and this irked me the whole way through the book. It was then picked up almost at the end and was used to tie up some plot lines. But it was so out of character for the policeman to ignore it that it ruined the book for me.

I've read Webster's non-fiction books and enjoyed them. His first attempt at fiction was deeply disappointing. Some parts were well written and I would read any subsequent book to see if the author has a more consistent plot line. But any more inconsistencies like this one and I won't bother with a third.

The P45 Diaries
The P45 Diaries

1.0 out of 5 stars How was this a Radio 4 Book of the Year?, 20 April 2014
This review is from: The P45 Diaries (Kindle Edition)
One of the worst books I have ever read. About as funny as being told you have a terminal illness. The main character is completely unlikeable. In fact, none of the characters is in the least appealing. The father who is supposedly a BBC controller shows no aptitude for such a role in life. Although if Radio 4 did pick this as their book of the year, maybe standards at the BBC have sunk to an all time low and they do indeed employ cretins like this. Boring, dull, waste of time and money. I gave up half way through. Avoid.

The Woodcutter
The Woodcutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent holiday read, 18 July 2012
This review is from: The Woodcutter (Kindle Edition)
I like his Dalziel and Pascoe books and have also enjoyed his others so got this to see me through a week on holiday. Alas it only lasted a couple of days because I couldn't put it down. Some of it is frankly unbelievable but if you suspend disbelief and go with the flow, it's very enjoyable mindless entertainment.

Six Centuries of English Poetry Tennyson to Chaucer
Six Centuries of English Poetry Tennyson to Chaucer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money - and it was free., 25 Aug. 2011
Dreadful formatting and no index or table of contents so no way to find out what's it it apart from "next page", "next page" ad nauseam. I've deleted it, waste of time and space.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 7:29 PM GMT

The Shadow Of The Wind
The Shadow Of The Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
One of the best books I've ever read. It's a heady mix of atmospheric gothic and magical realism. The characters jump off the page and I found it genuinely "unputdownable". I took it on holiday to Barcelona and so was able to imagine it all happening around me. I thought the translation was brilliant, wish I was able to read it in Spanish to see how the original reads.

I can't recommend this highly enough.

Moab Is My Washpot
Moab Is My Washpot
by Stephen Fry

1.0 out of 5 stars Self-indulgent drivel, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Moab Is My Washpot (Paperback)
At 448 pages in paperback, it's 348 pages too long. Overwritten, mawkish, meandering and as unlike an autobiography as you can get. The man comes across as totally unlikeable, a selfish and self-centred child who should have been sectioned. You get the impression he doesn't like himself much so why does he think any reader would care to stay with him through his maudlin reminiscences? Avoid.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2012 7:48 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2