Profile for Katrina Wood > Reviews

Copenhagen Style Guide: Eat * Sleep * Shop
Copenhagen Style Guide: Eat * Sleep * Shop
by Anna Peuckert

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 1 Mar. 2017
I love this book. I went solo to Copenhagen for work, but found myself with afternoons and evenings free. So, starting on the first evening, I sat in a restaurant and planned my next afternoon and supper from this magic little book. Beautifully produced and the perfect companion for a stay in this beautiful city. Highly recommended.

Leytonstone
Leytonstone
by Stephen Volk

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 14 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Leytonstone (Paperback)
I loved this book. It's clever, subtle, intriguing and honest, evoking the period perfectly, with wonderfully drawn central characters. Clues unfold seamlessly - never "too clever". Just a perfect gem of a story. One for cinema lovers as well as for those who just love a well-written, tightly crafted piece of work.

A Table In Berlin
A Table In Berlin
by Mark Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars I just loved this book and once I started, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: A Table In Berlin (Paperback)
I just loved this book and once I started, I couldn't put it down. The author throws you head-first into the story and whisks you along with such effortless verve and skill. The central characters are a delight - funny, vulnerable and unnervingly recognisable. Nothing and nobody in Berlin of the 1980s is what it seems. And, in a sense, A Table In Berlin is the same. It may seem at first like a frivolous, almost ditsy story, only to reveal the depths and secrets of the central characters. I read it practically in one sitting and am not one to write reviews of this sort, but it's such a fabulous read I felt it would be selfish to keep it to myself. Go read this book. You won't be disappointed.

Great British Bakes: Forgotten treasures for modern bakers
Great British Bakes: Forgotten treasures for modern bakers
by Mary-Anne Boermans

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 6 Jun. 2014
After reading all the reviews here and other hype I was truly excited about getting this book. I bake a great deal - and had become a bit jaded with the books on my shelves. I was hoping this book would give me a bit of inspiration and a lift. Admittedly, it is very well researched and the historical sections are interesting. However - looking through it I didn't find one recipe that jumped out at me and said "make me now". The book is smaller in size than I imagined and the photographs uninspiring at best and unappetizing at worst. And dull. I don't even like the format, typeface or paper used. I also felt let down the by the small number of recipes. All-in-all a great disappointment.