Profile for Mr. S. J. Welton > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
One For All SV9215 Flat Antenna
One For All SV9215 Flat Antenna

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 26 Sept. 2013
We live in a block of flats and share a communal aerial, and TV reception is quite unpredictable - we even feel like that aeroplanes (being close to Heathrow) cause interference depending on time of the day. We have a TV in the lounge and another in the bedroom and getting the bedroom TV to pick up a decent signal was a nightmare because of having to use the additional 'extension' socket there, which was completely useless.

So, I bought this in the hope it would improve the signal and boy has it done the job! It's a little fiddly and untidy having so many wires but was very easy to put together. The antenna currently sticks to a bedroom window with a long cable to the little powered amplifier switch and then another shorter cable from that into the TV. What you must remember to do is RE-TUNE your TV while the thing is plugged in. I'm sure a lot of people might not do that and wonder why the thing isn't working (maybe it works for some and not others, of course).

The only thing I've been worried about it how long that powered switch would work but I've had the antenna for about 6 weeks now and it's been fine. It comes with a little hook too if you want to hang it up somewhere but the sticky pad has sufficed. The exterior of our flat faces northward so I don't know what signal tower (or whatever it's properly called) it picks up but it gives a great picture and, more importantly, gives good reception to Freeview channels 5*, 5USA, Pick TV, Really etc which my other half watches, so job done!

Great piece of kit and was worth the money in this instance. Always remember to re-tune your TV once the thing is plugged in.

Medal of Honor Warfighter (PS3)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (PS3)
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable... but could have been much more, 13 Jan. 2013
I deliberately waited until the New Year and picked up a bargain with Amazon (£15 new and delivered), so I was very pleased about that. I quite enjoyed 2010's MoH and wanted more of the same from Warfighter. I don't partake in online multiplayer shooters so I'm this review is based entirely on the single player campaign.

As far as the visuals and sound are concerned, they really are fantastic. I've never been one to focus too much on the graphics but everything looks polished, the smoke and firing effects are great and (as in MoH) there are some great backdrops. The sound though, wow! Again like MoH, it has a lot of depth and distance. I quite enjoy the radio chatter between the characters - it adds to the element of 'realism' without it being too cheesy. The music, when it does play is subtle in the background, so keeps the explosions and firing effects in the forefront.

As for the gameplay, it plays just as you would expect. The 'training' section (you're one the 'bad guys' doing this and the area crops up again later in the story, which I thought was a nice touch) doesn't take place until you finish the introductory level, so after not having played FPS for a while I fumbled through this the first time around. I'm hot a hardcore gamer so even on Normal I found it quite tough, however I still managaed to complete the game in the space of just over a weekend.

I liked the new driving and boating levels but part of me felt distracted by it and wanted to get them out the way. I would have liked to see some helicopter action like in MoH, but this wasn't to be. The cut-scenes were a little hard to follow at times - I didn't really understand what was going on until I paid more attention during the second run through. I liked the fact that there was an intention to introduce some background and humanise the characters, but it felt a little cheesy and the rendering of the characters - as close to lifelife without it being live motion video - was just a bit creepy. I didn't encounter too many glitches apart from the odd graphical one and not being able to move forward when I wanted to, but this didn't impact on the flow of the game.

When I first heard about the game and watched the trailers, I was under the impression you could play a number of forces from around the world. This of course is only available on the multiplayer, so single player campaigners like me didn't get to play as SAS or SOG or whatever. You play only a handful of characters from TF Mako and meet up with Polish GROM and Phillipine forces along the way. No sign of interaction or teaming up with any other forces which was a disappointment. But, it was nice to have recurring characters with Dusty being the main man overseeing the operations.

Overall though, the game looks and sound great, plays well but just felt it could have been more. It does have some replay value for me but an option to skip the cut-scenes inbetween missions would have been good. I'm pleased I got it for £15, because I really wouldn't have wanted to pay much more for it.

Sony PlayStation 3 320GB Slim Console
Sony PlayStation 3 320GB Slim Console

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic, truly multimedia machine, 30 Aug. 2012
What's left to be said about the Playstation3 that hasn't already been said? This 320GB slim version has replaced my old original 40GB PS3 system, which sadly developed the dreaded yellow-light-of-death problem, so it was time to get myself a new system.

Unfortunately, I used the PS3 as a central hub for all my photos as it's such a joy viewing photographs in such colourful clarity and detail on a large LCD or plasma screen. Massively fortunately though, the hair-dryer-around-the-back method of reheating the unit actually worked and I got the old girl booted up again. This enabled me to transfer all my existing data (photos, videos, game saves, downloaded content) onto the new system once it had arrived, was very quick - amazing service again, Amazon!

So what's so good about the PS3, or rather what do I personally get out of it that makes it such a good investment? First and foremost it's a great games machine, and with the increase of original Playstation games being available to play again it's so much fun playing the latest great games as well as those old classics, which aren't less enjoyable. I've just started re-playing Skyrim again so that'll be it for another few months, lol.

It's also a Blu-ray player, so I can enjoy high-definition movies and video on my TV. Awesome! It is also slowly becoming a depository for all my photos and video and the old music track, but with the ability to hook up to media servers it can stream data from my PC or laptop too. Additional features like LoveFilm or BBC iPlayer being available on the system, as well as the ability to rent and own downloadable games and movies from the Playstation Store makes it a hugely valuable piece of kit which doesn't break the bank: I got my system as part of a bundle with a free Playstation Move pack and additional official PS3 controller, another great deal from Amazon.

Just an incredible machine: awesome games, high-definition graphics and video, fantastic audio, a storage space for photos, video and music, USB inputs, WiFi internet access and built-in Bluetooth - a truly multimedia system that does the job admirably and all within a sleek, quiet box.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2012 7:12 PM BST

Evanescence: Evanescence (TAB) (Guitar Tab Editions)
Evanescence: Evanescence (TAB) (Guitar Tab Editions)
by Evanescence

5.0 out of 5 stars Evanescence - Guitar tab edition, 24 May 2012
This is a guitar tablature book for the excellent 2011 self-titled Evanescence album.

I had originally and mistakenly purchased another version of the music book for this album which was for Piano Vocal Guitar, and as such was mainly music score for piano and no tab. So this is the 'proper' guitar version and gives you what you expect from a guitar tab book - clear, precise tablature and, perhaps most importantly, the correct tunings for the guitars, which vary througout the album. Reading through the tab you'll probably also get sight of little riffs and licks you may not have heard on the songs, which is interesting.

Not much else to it really! If you're after the guitar tab for these songs, this is the book you need!

MARSHALL MG15R Electric guitar amplifiers Solid-state guitar combos
MARSHALL MG15R Electric guitar amplifiers Solid-state guitar combos

5.0 out of 5 stars A great amp at a great price, 16 Jan. 2012
I've been using the same old Marshall 30W amp since I was a teenage and it finally popped its clogs not long ago. I searched around for a small and affordable amp to practice on at home, but which offered reverb and an input for an MP3 or CD player. This Marshall MG15R fits the bill nicely.

At 15W it's a small box but packs a punch - nice and loud for a small studio environment but maybe not enough to play along a full drum kit. There is a switch for clean and overdrive channels which have their own volume control, and an EQ of bass, middle and treble for both and a dial for gain. Having reverb was a must for me - any amp without a bit of reverb just doesn't do it for me, so you have a nice bit of depth with the 15R. Playing mostly rock and metal I made good use of the gain and for that rich Marshall tone, but there is a nice clean tone too. Just remember that the EQ it set for both channels, so you may not get the tone you want unless you do a bit of tweaking.

You can plug an MP3 or CD player into it but it'll come out mono of course, so can be a bit muddy through the speakers or headphones. There isn't a volume control on the amp itself for the line in so this is controlled by the player you're plugging in. However, when using headphones you can still get a nice level adjusting between the input and your own guitar without making your ears bleed.

Because of this, it makes for a great practice amp and it's quite loud enough for a small band environment too - just plug in and start rocking!

Logitech C910 HD Webcam
Logitech C910 HD Webcam

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb webcam, 22 Dec. 2011
I've used the same Logitech webcam for something like 10 years, and while it's done the job just fine it was time to invest in a newer model. If you're looking to do the same, you can't go wrong getting yourself this C910 high-definition model.

It's very easy to install as you'd expect and the cam was up and working within a few minutes. The quality is outstanding - I've never seen such a clear, crisp and bright image on my monitor through a webcam before. Then again, I have of course used a 0.3mp webcam for donkeys now!

The bundled software allows you to capture photos and videos in both wide 16:9 and 'normal' 4:3 formats, and the sound quality is, as expected, superb, so it's great for recording stuff. You can also add funky video effects through the software which is quite fun.

Using it with instant messaging is pretty good but I suspect the performance will depend on your application (we use Yahoo Mesenger mostly) and your internet connection (both upload and download). Our connection is around 10mb down and a healthy 1.5mb upload on our broadband account configured more for upstream than down, so it's good for pushing out higher-res images.

There are a couple of things to be aware of: the base bit that you use to attach to a monitor or laptop is a bit clunky, and coupled with the cable which comes out behind at the left of the unit (on the right as you look at it) does make it a bit fiddly to get sat in the right place and stay here. Want you don't want to do with any webcam is have to 'balance' it in a certain position, and the C910 gets close to having to do that. But, it depends on your setup and isn't that much of an issue - it's heavy enough to sit firmly on a monitor but a laptop might be a bit of a nuisance.

It recommends a system with at least 2.4Ghz and 2MB RAM with 1MB internet upload speeds. I'm using a Windows 7 PC with 4GB memory and 3.1Ghz, along with a widescreen monitor to best enjoy those 16:9 captures, so not sure how it would perform on a machine with less grunt. Overall though, a fantastic piece of kit and well worth the money.

Umbra Flip Hook - White
Umbra Flip Hook - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smart and easy to put up, 5 Dec. 2011
**Update May 2012: Please note that my original review below is for the Umbra Flip 5 Hook Coat Rack, White Gloss. For some reason my review is now showing against this "Vintage Shabby Chic" item, which is incorrect. I've asked Amazon to correct this but for whatever reason they can't. Oh well!**

The title says it all - the other half and I came across this very nice looking coat-hanger on a high-street furniture / homeware store, but decided not to buy it then and there.

We've got it a tenner cheaper and with free delivery through Amazon. The item arrived quickly and the item was safely packed. You only need a couple of screws in the wall (included, naturally) and the unit slots over them. It also comes with a handy template in order to size up the screw holes properly, so was very easy to get it done and straight too (provided you have a spirit level of course). Just have to be aware that the screws need to jut out a little in order for the unit to hook over them properly.

Looks great and very tidy just to flip open the hooks required for your coats and jackets. Very pleased overall.

Sonisphere 'Live From Sofia' - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ The Big Four
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Big music from metal's biggest bands, 14 Oct. 2011
I love catching opportunities to Metallica or Slayer from recent live performances on DVD/ Blu Ray, even though there is loads of stuff available online, which just isn't the same as popping a disc into a player and watching through a TV. It's taken me a while to come across this Blu Ray release of the Big 4 playing but I'm very glad to have finally got my hands on it (actually stumbling on it by chance).

Being a big fan of both Metallica and Slayer, less so Megadeth and not-really-a-fan-as-such of Anthrax (simply because I haven't heard much of their music or made an effort to do so), this kind of live performance release is right up my street. There is an hour devoted to each of the bands and 2 hours for headliners Metallica, along with bonus content in the form of an documentary and interviews, with the whole thing spread over 2 discs.

The quality is great - looks crisp and clear played through my Playstation3 and on a Panasonic 42" plasma. The sounds seems a little inconsistent at times but only because I think I need to tweak my playback settings and doesn't detract from the overall quality of the package. It's well mixed and does sound superb.

The dilemma that bands like these have is choosing what songs to play from such an extensive catalogue. This package covers all the classics though and no fan of any of the bands should feel disappointed. It's a little strange seeing how aged they all are, but their performance is still awe-inspiring. What I did find quite humorous though is how Jeff Hannemans's thrashing arm seems to be going berserk in later life, haha.

Definitely worth adding to your Blu Ray collection, there is a proper good head banging time to be had!

Crucial 2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module
Crucial 2GB, 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 7 July 2011
I needed a stick to replace the 512MB used in a fairly old (2006-ish) laptop, and this single 2GB of RAM has made all the difference.

Well worth getting if you need the upgrade, just make sure this is the one you're after depending on the spec and you'll be sorted.

Good price, well packaged and arrived very quickly from Amazon. Job done!

Beauty in Decay: Urbex: The Art of Urban Exploration
Beauty in Decay: Urbex: The Art of Urban Exploration
by RomanyWG

5.0 out of 5 stars Urbex: Taking you places you wish you could go, 26 Feb. 2011
There is something undeniably creepy yet at the same time utterly fascinating about the images presented in Beauty in Decay. I would say it is an acquired taste but probably one that not many of us realise we have.

You get a sense of the history, memories and emotions from shots taken in hospitals, asylums, factories and such - all abandoned, empty, derict, forgotten and "left as is". To be honest, I haven't a clue when it comes to the technical side of the imagery itself (the equipment and methods used), nor do I know enough about the scene, community, ideology etc of urban exploration to fully appreciate the narrative, but I just find the work presented here compelling and makes me want to learn more about the artisits and the locations, which can only be good thing.

Definitely worth a look, especially if you have any inkling of an interest in such things, and a great price now through Amazon for beautifully presented photographic hardback.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4