Profile for Lauren > Reviews

Content by Lauren

Lauren (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Adaptor / Receiver, Mpow Streambot Idock Wireless Bluetooth Stereo 4.0 A2DP Music Receiver 30-pin Speaker Dock Wireless Adapter for iPod iPhone Dock Bose Sounddock 10/II/Portable, iPod iPhone Dock Speaker and Other Docking Station Stream Music
Offered by Patox

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect sound quality to link to my Bose, 19 July 2016
Perfect sound quality and easy to set up - amazing with my Bose speaker. I was worried it would not be as good as plugging in directly, but it's perfect.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Honey - fits all Paperwhite generations
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Honey - fits all Paperwhite generations

3.0 out of 5 stars Honey is yellow - I guess as you would expect, 19 July 2016
The photo looks like the old kindle case cover colour of lime green - it is very yellow. The case is fine, but I'm not very keen on the colour - I think Amazon should change the photo.

first4magnets FWBA4-1 297 x 210 x 0.85 mm Self Adhesive Flexible A4 Whiteboard Sheet for Home and Office
Offered by first4magnets™

1.0 out of 5 stars This was not a whiteboard, 24 April 2014
This arrived in an enormous box but it was just an A4 piece of magnet. It is described as a whiteboard and the picture is white but I just got sent a piece of magnet

Gone Girl
Gone Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting characters but what is the shocking twist?!, 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading Gone Girl, but when I got to the end it was one of those books that made me turn the page back to check that I had actually finished it! I was disappointed with the ending, although in some respects I can understand why Flynn wrote it this way.

The characters are very dimensional and interesting and I enjoyed the way that you get inside their minds and think about their motives.

However, the hype behind the book set my expectations too high. So whilst I enjoyed reading this book, I could not understand why every positive review talked about some amazing twist. To me, this wasn't the case.

Would recommend as a good holiday book that you can speed through quickly.

APPLE iPad Camera Connection Kit
APPLE iPad Camera Connection Kit

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 31 May 2013
Apple modified the software/hardware capabilities so completely useless, doesn't recognise my cameras by USB or the format of certain memory cards. Pointless.

GoPro Hero3 Snap-on Red Filter Cube Filter 3
GoPro Hero3 Snap-on Red Filter Cube Filter 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable difference, 31 May 2013
The difference the filter makes is incredible. Washed out photos are instantly transformed without compromising on quality. Restores colour instantly - extremely impressive. The filter has a handy hole so that you can clip it onto your BCD or the GoPro if you decided you don't need the filter, however I found even in bright shallow water it made a difference. Clips on and comes off with ease but stays firmly in place.

I've Got Your Number
I've Got Your Number

5.0 out of 5 stars Kimsella is back and this is finally a fantastic story, 31 May 2013
I have to say that I got extremely bored with Kinsella and did not particularly enjoy the last two books so when I've Got Your Number was released I didn't bat an eye lid. As the price came down I decided to buy it on a whim and I am SO glad I did.

I finished I've Got Your Number within a couple of days enjoying laugh out loud moments and those really heart felt moments when you know everything will work out but you're still reading with your heart racing! A great story and I found the way Kinsella uses text messaging to tell the story quite fun.

Whole heartedly recommend!

Estates: An Intimate History
Estates: An Intimate History

1.0 out of 5 stars Narcissistic, greedy and self centred rubbish, 12 Jan. 2013
I want to state bluntly that I HATE what this author represents and the way she has expressed her views is weak.

I bought this book because the premise sounded interesting and living in a block of part buy flats surrounded by council flats I thought the book might open my eyes. The author spends a long time describing the Wood estate she grew up on. This is an interesting insight into the design of estates but she litters her book with her political views.

I work extremely hard earning a well above average wage, but I am not in the position to buy the HOUSE AND GARDEN that she thinks everyone has a right to. I'm sorry but is the author not aware of certain facts of life:
- In cities there is nothing wrong with living in a flat, in London you can buy flats worth millions without a garden that she thinks the government should grant everyone
- Whatever happened to earning your right to property? By either renting at market rates or mortgaging based only on what you can AFFORD.

She is completely deluded and undermines hard working people who scrimp and save to pay rent or buy a place this is within their means when she thinks they should be just dished out by the government.

She criticises the government for building the Wood estate, she asks why the government was so selfish and built a large estate where people didn't have gardens, where each house wasn't personalised and where there weren't pretty rows of corner shops.

Here's the truth to her ignorant attitude: those houses were handed to people for free and helped them escape slums, why should they be given some fairy tale house that the rest of the middle class can't even afford?

Her opinions are disturbing and she has no comprehension of simple economics. Where would that money come? Please could the author point to a map of any town or city to show where each person can have their own plot of land - me thinks she'd quickly run out of space. Absolutely deluded!

Although I disagree with her political views, the main reason I also want to rate the book so low is that it is badly written. There is no structure, it is just one long rant that the author keeps interrupting with apologies that this book is just a rant. Everything is centred around how she feels and how things must happen because of her / for her. Self centred, narcisstic, not good enough I'm afraid.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 3:09 PM BST

Life Of Pi
Life Of Pi

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely unexpected and thought provoking, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Kindle Edition)
As I was reading this book I found the plot enjoyable but couldn't see why this book was held in such high esteem. Until I got to the final 2 chapters...

The book starts almost like a childrens book, telling the tale of Pi's childhood, then it begins to table with some phiolosophical thoughts on religion - with a view bold statements.

Then the plot moves on to some extremely graphic descriptions of Pi's survival on the boat - this is not for kids!

So I was reading this at quite a pace, enjoying the plot development but wondering what the point was - isn't it just a story about a boy on a boat?

That's when the final 2 chapters make you stop and think about the whole book that you have just read and flips it on its head. Quite simply a brilliant piece of thought/writing that makes the book worthly of its praise.

Taylors Eye Witness 5-Piece Non-Stick Coated Kitchen Knife Set - Multi-Colour
Taylors Eye Witness 5-Piece Non-Stick Coated Kitchen Knife Set - Multi-Colour
Offered by A Cut Above Knives

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely sharp and looks great, 2 Jan. 2013
I wasn't sure whether to buy these as I have had bad luch trying to find sharp but reasonably priced knives. These are amazing - they are so sharp and look great in the kitchen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3