Profile for Ash > Reviews

Content by Ash

Ash (Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom)

TeckNet® MT-096 Apple FM Transmitter For Apple iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G, iPhone 4GS and other iPod Players
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

1.0 out of 5 stars Flaky at best, broke after a couple of days, 6 Jun. 2013
I'd just bought a new car that only came with a standard stereo and really wanted to be able to listed to podcasts and audiobooks on long drives so this seemed like an ideal solution to bridge the gap until I could afford to get an iPhone connected stereo. I couldn't of been more wrong, in summary:

- the transmission power is too low, interference from other stations was very obvious and I had to shift channel often on a journey
- the FM frequency on the transmitter didn't go as low as my car stereo so I couldn't use the really quiet low end of the band
- after a few days the unit appeared 'loose' and would only work with significant pressure pushing it into the iPhone (I had to sit on it to make it work).

So I had to go back to listening to CDs but thankfully I now have a proper stereo installed, I wish I hadn't bothered with the transmitter.

Manfrotto 026 Lite Tite Swivel + Umbrella Adaptor
Manfrotto 026 Lite Tite Swivel + Umbrella Adaptor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid & does the job., 23 July 2012
A solidly built piece of kit, mounts easily onto the light stand and the tripod thread is fine too. As the other reviewer mentioned, it doesn't come with a hot shoe mount but I'm mounting wireless triggers so that wasn't an issue for me - if you need an umbrella stand this will do the trick but if you're not using an umbrella it's probably overkill.

2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly - Digital Edition
2600 Magazine: The Hacker Quarterly - Digital Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant magazine, a must read for techies., 28 July 2011
I've been a reader of 2600 magazine for about six years now and it's the only magazine I've ever found that I'll read cover to cover every time and enjoy every bit. If you work or play in the computing and telephony world or you're just interested in privacy and freedom of speech in the digital era this magazine will have something for you. Some articles have code snippets or entire scripts in them but many just outline tips and techniques or just talk about the problems out there that end up leading to yours and my personal data getting spilled out across the Internet when the companies we trust don't take security seriously. The best bit though, every time, is the letters section - sometimes they're stories that make you angry and sometimes they'll make you laugh but it's the best way to take the pulse of the hacker community. Don't forget to check out the listings for 2600 meetings all over the world on the first Friday of the month, details also in the magazine.

Suzuki in Dub
Suzuki in Dub
Offered by J4G

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as you might think., 19 April 2002
This review is from: Suzuki in Dub (Audio CD)
As soon as I saw this album down at my local CD store I couldn't help myself & just bought it. Whilst I admire the variety that Huber & Dorfmeister have managed to inject into their existing work I cannot clearly see why this needed to be done in the first place.
Suzuki is one of stand-out albums of my collection and is a perfect example of the low-key, laid-back, trip-hop genre, I cannot see any valid reason to go and mess with it. The time spent on this project could have been spent using the full weight of H&D's creative talent rather than producing this rehash version of Suzuki. I do (from time to time) enjoy listening to this album but after forcing myself to wake-up to Suzuki in Dub each morning for a whole week it still made little impression on me. If you loved Suzuki you MIGHT like this but it's certainly no guarantee. Try buying another Tosca or Kruder & Dorfmeister album instead - you'll be getting much better value.

The Rough Guide to Global Dance - World Beat Carnival: Access All Areas
The Rough Guide to Global Dance - World Beat Carnival: Access All Areas
Offered by world_media

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to this and you will open up whole new areas of music, 29 Jan. 2001
Having bought this CD on a whim during a shopping trip down Oxford Street it was a while before I put aside time to really listen to it. It was the best investment of 75 minutes I've ever made.
From the first track to the last this CD covers a broad range of genres (and geographical regions) to give a taste of how different cultures have interpreted the once underground dance music scene. With a mix of styles from European artists such as Jazzanova and Tosca to Indian and South American artists, you really get a feel for how traditional music from the regions has been taken on by the new generations to make dance.
If you want to find a new musical direction, it's in here somewhere.