Profile for I. Fenton > Reviews

Content by I. Fenton

I. Fenton "Felinewyvern" (Cardiff, Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock Novels)
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock Novels)
by Faith Hunter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beast of a story, 12 Mar. 2015
Why has it taken me so long to find this series? I loved the action and the intrigue but most of all I loved the kickass heroine. What made the book even more enjoyable was the excellently written secondary characters and the beautifully described world of New Orleans and a society that has vampires and witches as the norm. As soon as funds allow I think I'll be doing a catch up on this series. After all I need to find out how she and Beast solve who will be top dog (or should I say cat?).

No Crayons On The Front Line (The Demons Age)
No Crayons On The Front Line (The Demons Age)

5.0 out of 5 stars A stand alone and an outstanding story., 16 Feb. 2015
First of all I want to say don't be put off by the fact that this is #10 in a series. It can be read as a stand alone and loses nothing by doing so. I personally have only read three others so far and enjoyed them all. What I enjoyed about this one though was something a little different that made it stand out as unique and interesting. In it's way it is quite nostalgic as the whole story is told in the form of letters passed between the two main characters very reminiscent of pen pals and old fashioned courtship. I recommend this to anyone who loves a good fantasy and in depth characterisation in their books.

Black Dog Blues (The Kai Gracen Series Book 1)
Black Dog Blues (The Kai Gracen Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars No blues with this book, 3 Feb. 2015
My first thought on this book was - I wish this was a movie. It had me figuratively on the edge of my seat from the first page and didn't let up on the action throughout! The Characters were all well rounded and believable (even when they got mangled almost beyond belief) and the twists and turns kept me glued to the pages. I was very glad to know that this was book one as I can't wait to read more about Kai and his world. If you like action packed Fantasy with lots of elvish intrigue and even more fighting of really dangerous monsters then this is the one to read.

Hell & High Water (THIRDS Book 1)
Hell & High Water (THIRDS Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the follow up books, 3 Jan. 2015
This first book in a new series was so good I was delighted that I had listened to other readers and bought books two and three already. I can't wait to start the next one and read more about Dex, Sloane and all the others in the team.
This was a laugh out loud, and yet at the same time a sit on the edge of your seat, kind of book with plenty of action and humour well mixed with some really interesting characters. The concept is good and excellently done and I highly recommend it to anyone who isn't turned off by m/m interaction or humour and mayhem in their books.

Silk (The Bloodstone Series Book 1)
Silk (The Bloodstone Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book - not such a great reader, 17 Dec. 2014
Review Copy provided by Author in return for honest review I don't really read a lot of serial killer stuff but the blurb was so different to the normal kind of mystery story that I was intrigued, especially by the front cover tag: What would you do to stay young: Lie, Manipulate..kill?. I am afraid that my lack of enjoyment in murder mysteries might have had a lot to do with the fact that even though I really loved Rudyard as a character I just couldn't stay interested in the story. Though it could also have been the fact that I have been hooked on an Sci-fi audio series and can't get into anything else. I will say that Chris has a way with words that kept me reading even when I wasn't that invested in the book and if you want to read a mystery/suspense that is intense, hard hitting, has a light romantic touch and is generally well written then go and get this book.

Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin Book 2)
Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm hooked, 7 Dec. 2014
Having enjoyed book one of this series I decided it was time for me to read book two and see if it stands up against the first one. It does! It was an excellent historical thriller which just happened to have two guys who are lovers solving the mystery. The relationship was beautifully woven into the drama and action of an exciting detective story. I am falling for the main two characters but I know I'm in love with the supernatural aspects of the mysteries they have to solve. I am definitely going to be reading the rest of the series sooner or later.

A Call to Arms: Book One of the Chronicles of Arden
A Call to Arms: Book One of the Chronicles of Arden

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic fantasy in the making, 22 Oct. 2014
Complimentary Review Copy Provided by Author
Have you ever read Mercedes Lackey's Collegium Chronicles? Or maybe Elizabeth Moon's Deeds Of Paksenarrion? If you have, then you know that when I say this book is in a similar vein, you are in for an epic fantasy read with good characters and a lovely, magical and intriguing story. In fact this is such a good read that I didn't put it down more than I really needed to (a visit to the doctor and some shopping :( ) and had just finished it before this review. I hope that book two isn't too long in getting published as it is going on my wishlist immediately. I know I should say something about he story itself but if I start I will end up gushing so much I will be giving away spoilers and all my readers know I don't do that. So take my word for it you won't go wrong buying this one if you want an epic 'young boy grows to manhood in service to the crown' fantasy book. One word of warning it has an m/m romance but, as the main character is a young teen, it is extremely mild.

Spooky Ginger Love
Spooky Ginger Love

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as long as I would have liked., 7 Oct. 2014
<i><b>I received this from the author in exchange for an honest review.</b></i>
The first thing I have to say about this is that it made a nice change to read a main character who was not a generic white guy. The second is that it will be difficult to give a full review without adding spoilers and as most of you know I hate spoilers. So the book. . it was a nice and easy read with a lovely little twist. I could have wished for a longer story (that is in fact the reason for only 3*s)and wish the author had given more depth to the relationship that Keith had with Ronnie. In my opinion that would have made more sense to the ending, but I am a little biased as it would have given me a longer story to read if she had :D Let's just say if you want to read a short m/m story about a cute Bear and his spooky weekend then buy this book.

Temptations of Desire (Desires Entwined Book 3)
Temptations of Desire (Desires Entwined Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars gender fluidity written with style, 2 Oct. 2014
As seems to be common with this series there was a lot of intrigue and danger going on in the background. There was also a different point of view on the situation with Dal's father and his demands (some of which is touched upon in book #2). However, as should be the case, most of the book focuses on the relationship between Dal and Alex. I really loved Alex and the way Tempeste showed how his life was affected by his wanting to cross dress and his gender fluidity. She also did a good job of portraying Dal's bisexuality (which made this book ideal to have read in this week of celebrating bisexuality in the real world). However at no point did either man's sexual preference so dominate the story of their relationship that it became a treatise on sexual identity, instead it became a love story about accepting the person with all their foibles and flaws and still loving them. I recommend this story to anyone who likes a little spice and sweetness in their romances, because Tempeste put both in there with style.

The Spirit Room (The Planets: Book One)
The Spirit Room (The Planets: Book One)

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad it wasn't a marvel comics clone, 23 Sept. 2014
I feel exhausted! That was a very frenetic story and even though I put it down quite often (I needed that break time) I still felt that everything was on fast forward. Don't get me wrong it was a very good story and had the added value of not making the superheroes into clones of the Marvel or DC Comic ones. It's just that I had too many unanswered questions by the end of the book. On the plus side the characters are well rounded with plenty of back story eventually given on them and it had plenty of intrigue and action to suit most people. On the negative side there were a few times I felt quite lost and there were a few editing errors (probably more than I spotted). Not sure if I'll try reading book two, it will depend on if it looks like it will be as frantic as this one and if I feel like diving back into that wild rush.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20