Profile for Cheshire Dave > Reviews

(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18
Swear London Men's Chaplin1 Lace Up
Swear London Men's Chaplin1 Lace Up

3.0 out of 5 stars Tiny sizing ! (Review of black version/orange sole), 6 Oct. 2011
Not sure which rating to give this.

The product itself is fine (maybe a little tough to wear in) but the sizing is way off. As I usually say in my shoe reviews, I am a Clarks 10.5, but for other manufacturers, size 11. These are like 10s at a push or even 9s ! Side-by-side with another recent and excellent Amazon shoe purchase, they are easily 15-20cm shorter, and not even as wide as they appear in the pics.

I like the 'classic styling with a twist' aspect. The bright orange soles are not as obvious as you'd think from the Amazon photographs, and will soon get mucky / darker, I reckon. In fact, they are dull orange. (I have some black Chelsea-style shoes with yellow soles that soon got grubby.) I was planning to maybe dirty them up or black-polish them anyway.

That's about all I can say, seeing as, with these size 45s, I'm like an Ugly Sister trying on a tiny leather slipper in a pantomime.

Dr Martens Men's Frazier Lace Up
Dr Martens Men's Frazier Lace Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and comfy from the off..., 24 Sept. 2011
I got a pair of these for myself, and a pair for my son as, at the time, they were way, way, way cheaper than their current price. We both really like them. Sizing is about right - I am a Clarks 10.5, but always buy 11s for other brands. These 11s are fine for me, and the 10s were fine for my son.

The shoes are made in Thailand (but are genuine Docs) so not as tough to wear in as the 'UK' style. (Not sure if this latter UK style are still actually made in the UK.) In fact, they are super-comfortable out of the box, with ankle sides, heel back, tongue and sole all padded.

Top = leather. Inners = leather and fabric, the fabric bit being in the front half of the shoe, suede near the heel grip. Sole = springy, rubbery material. These seem to be like the 'AirWear' soles you'd expect of Docs, and they had a paper swing tag saying that, but are solid dark brown rather than the semi-transparent rubbery sole you might expect from Docs. They still feel air-filled, though.

Unlike most of my shoes, and I'm not sure why. these are much cooler than I was expecting, given their chunkiness.

So that's about it. Nice dark brown leather, comfy, and cool. Smart with jeans or formals. We like. Hope you like the review.

Fly London Men's Hoke Shoe
Fly London Men's Hoke Shoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick review, 1 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Fly London Men's Hoke Shoe (Shoes)
See my detailed review of the very similar, excellent lace-up version of these: Fly London Hemp. No other reviews posted yet, so that might help.

Fly London Men's Hank Lace Up
Fly London Men's Hank Lace Up

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Review, 1 Sept. 2011
See my review of the very similar, excellent but lower-cut Fly London Hemp. No ther reviews posted yet, so that might help.

Fly London Men's Hemp Lace Up
Fly London Men's Hemp Lace Up

4.0 out of 5 stars (Almost) Excellent !, 1 Sept. 2011
UPDATE A MONTH LATER - I TOOK A STAR OFF BECAUSE BOTH OF THE REMOVEABLE INSOLES RIDE RIGHT UP BEHIND MY HEELS, SO I GLUED THEM IN (THE INSOLES, NOT MY HEELS) WITH UHU CLEAR GLUE (Don't use superglue. Won't work, I reckon. Update 2 - neither did the UHU. need to try even more glue.). I STILL REALLY LIKE THEM, THOUGH.

I got the black leather - not suede - version in size 11. Sizing is good/accurate. (I am a Clarks 10.5 but always get 11 for other brands.)

Right from the start, very comfortable and I could walk round Rome's hot, cobbled streets for 8 hours with no problems or blisters at all. (Wearing trainer socks.)

I am pretty old, but Fly's my favourite brand for 'shoes with a twist' - my 'distressed' (intentionally shabby) blue denim pumps that double-zip up and down instead of lace up, even though they have lace holes, are my all-time Fly favourite, so I also have a pale green pair, although my wife calls them my Beetlejuice shoes. (Look in the Amazon film section if you're under 20.)

These are a close second. Reserved-ish styling - I got away with them with a classic Jaeger London suit at a wedding - but the double metal buttons and hidden suede sole border make them that little bit different. Great, heavyweight, textured leather - no thin but sticky plastic shoe linings - and with a thin, hardish foam, shaped and removeable dark brown insole with a large Fly logo punched through in tiny holes, although you wouldn't want to remove it. I think the thin top layer of the insole is man-made, but the shoes generally 'breathe' well through the solid leather uppers. Not as pointy or upwardly curvy as they look from the side - see the top-view pic.

I reckon the suede versions would go a bit more shapeless over time. And talking of suede - the underside of all colours and styles has a hidden suede ridge around the narrow, undersized sole, as in the pix, so they may not fare too well in the rain and in puddles. Depends how fussy you are about dirty bottoms. I know I am.

Another tiny complaint is that these 'undersized' soles mean that they are very slightly 'unstable' - your foot is not 100% planted firmly on the ground, but I'm not even going to deduct half a star for that. I don't mean that the shoes are a tight fit, but the styling means that the top overlaps the sole to form the suede ridge that can be seen only from below. The devil is in the detail: insole / brass studs / suede sole surround.

Josef Seibel Men's Stanton Lace Up
Josef Seibel Men's Stanton Lace Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Size guide - they are 'generous', 30 Aug. 2011
This is just to say that they are 'comfort sizing', so generous. If in doubt about size, go slightly down rather than up. I am a Clarks 10.5 but 11 for most other brands.

Seibel 11s were much too big (and were free returned - no probs with Amazon although I exceeded the 'returns window' due to a holiday, so emailed them first) and 10s were fine for me. You can remove the spongy insole to make them even bigger, if really necessary, but that's not ideal.

UPDATE - I got the 10s, and they are a good fit for my UK10.5/EU11 feet, as long as I wear thick socks. Unusually for a 'comfort' brand, they are not quite as comfy as I expected.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick review / colour and sizing advice, 28 July 2011
Just arrived - pretty comfy after an hour, and what you see is what you get EXCEPT - there is a hidden 'toe cap' of the same cotton material that is pressed down inside into the sole. You can pull this up and put your toes under it to make more of a 'shoe' for those more formal beach occasions such as cocktails happy hour, or perhaps as the sun goes down and your toes get cold. Brilliant feature/gimmick !

Colour - described as navy, but it's faded, so more of a denim look to them, in a good way. The inner shoe label says 'denim'. The back half is mid-grey slightly textured nylon-ish stretch-backed material (neoprene?) with a printed light 'bark' texture effect and lots of zig-zag stitching.

Sizing - I am a 'Clarks' 10.5 but 11 for most other shoes. I sent off for these in 10s and 11s. The 10 is a better fit - the 11 felt a bit sloppy, including at the heel, especially when you're freefeeting (going sock-free with never a care in the world). And half the time your toes may be sticking out of the front, anyway. The back half is 100% elasticated stretchy jersey material anyway. But if you're, say, a nomal 9, probably don't go for an 8. But if you're an inbetweenie, go down half a size.

Hope that helps on size decisions. Will report back if any probs or more comments. Quite a 'green' item - recycled bits / brown cardboard minimal packaging etc. The pair of shoes is held together by one of those charity-style floppy plastic debossed wristbands that you can detach and wear. It's a bit big, though, unless it's for your ankle. I think I've maybe just started a new fad. You heard it here first.

UPDATE - yesterday, when the shoes were only a day old, I trecked for 2 miles on a rough gravel road at an outdoor orchestral/fireworks concert, carrying chairs, backpack and cold box, and my feet are fine, so comfort is looking good. (My arms have fallen off, though.)

Dr Martens Men's Latimer Latimer Fisherman Sandal Black 13896001 10 UK
Dr Martens Men's Latimer Latimer Fisherman Sandal Black 13896001 10 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Sizing and quality quick review, 17 July 2011
These were exactly as I expected, but I have a couple of comments / opinions that might help someone to decide whether to purchase.

Sizing is pretty accurate but go for your usual SHOE size.
I am a 10.5 (e.g. Clark shoes, usually my gold standard for sizing). For sandals, I go down half a size, or they tend to be too big. But these were a bit tight across the front (width). I should have got 11s.

Quality-wise, they are fine, but last year I bought some backless DM sandals with the 'original' very heavy treanslucent rubber (?) sole. The quality of these was even better, and they also had better branding on the giant metal buckle ! This new style is not very obviously a DM, if that's what you're after. See the thin, 2-layer sole. Top 2/3 is soft and comfortable black 'foam', with the bottom third like a sliced piece of the 'original' style sole.

However, in fairness, the sole on my earlier ones are so heavy that a backstrap would have been handy in some situations, which is why I bought the Latimers. (e.g. I didn't want to be walking round Rome's treachorous cobbled street and falling off backless sandals, so needed a backstrap version.)

UPDATE - no problems at all with the actual seller of the goods, who were great in every way. Quick delivery and good comms.

AeroPress Filter Papers, Pack of 350, White
AeroPress Filter Papers, Pack of 350, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the FILTERS and not the contraption, 17 July 2011
The filters do exactly what you'd expect, and you have to buy them if you have an AeroPress - but if you're worried about costs or about looking after our trees / planet, I previously posted this (below) as a reply to another review; but it's probably more obvious to everyone if it has its own review. So here it is.

Filters are under 2p each - but, as mentioned in company literature, they can be used over and over if you rinse under the tap. (And, as the seal lasts longer if you clean it straight after brewing, it's no prob at all. Wash both at the same time.) I use the same filter once a day every day for a week - then, millionaire style, treat myself to a new 2p filter on Saturdays.
Let the filter dry IN the filter holder, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

2,000 filters use the same paper as ONE daily newspaper (see website), so if you re-use them x 7, that's 14,000 brews, which is about 42 years @ one brew a day, so don't worry too much about them being wasteful of resources.
; -- )

P.S. have you seen the filter paper size of the Chemex brewer, which is in the permanent collection of New York's Museum in New York.? MASSIVE ! Bigger than A4 before folding. it might be a design classic but the filters don't get my vote. (And they take 5 minutes compared to under 1 for the AeroPress.)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2013 9:26 AM GMT

Cushe Men's Surf Slipper Loafer Moccasin
Cushe Men's Surf Slipper Loafer Moccasin

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but that's it, 20 May 2011
I got these when they were made from black suede, probably with a different name, but otherwise identical but about half the current price. Over time, and not too many wearings, they have gone baggy and look tatty - but not in a shabby chic way. I think fabric will wear better than suede. The sizing is about right, although the suede has now grown too baggy.

I originally thought they looked pretty cool, but over time I've started to think they look like old-fashioned old men's shoes (see the top-down view), with lots of elastic 'for comfort'. (I am actually 58, but that's beside the point. I am NOT an old man, I am a surfer dude. Although I don't actually surf and all that. And I definitely don't wear 'comfy' shoes. Not unless they are Clarks Originals or Full Circle or Swear or Firetrap or Patagonia or Hudson or G-Star RAW.)

The sideways curved, rather than flat, honeycomb-ish sole puts a strain on your legs as you are constantly trying to rebalance yourself as you walk on the curve. Tiring, but in an annoying way rather than physically tiring. It's not a deal breaker if you like the style, but nor is it a deal maker.

Hope that helps.