Profile for Robin > Reviews

Content by Robin

Robin "Rob37n" (Hull, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Pin-Ups. Gil Elvgren 2015 (Wall Calendars 2015)
Pin-Ups. Gil Elvgren 2015 (Wall Calendars 2015)
by Taschen
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice calendar., 22 May 2015
Good sized calendar, not going to offend anyone, very pleasant.

Very high quality manufacturer, high grade materials and printing shine out.

Pin-Ups. Gil Elvgren 2015 (Tear Off Calendars 2015)
Pin-Ups. Gil Elvgren 2015 (Tear Off Calendars 2015)
by Taschen
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice item, follow on purchase from the 2014 version, 22 May 2015
In my review of the 2014 version I said I would be back for the 2015 version and I was true to my word, I am delighted with it, It's not offensive it's just nicely risque, although I wouldn't put it on my work desk any day soon, but it's fine at home.

Putt the Planets
Putt the Planets

3.0 out of 5 stars So so game, not for demanding players with high expectations., 22 May 2015
This review is from: Putt the Planets (App)
It's ok, it's not brilliant, it's not awful, the graphics are so so, the gameplay is so so, it's a very bland to be honest, I don't think it will last the test of time on my Kindle and will find itself removed from the carousel before too long.

Peanut Mouse - 2.4Ghz Wireless Optical Rechargeable - Mini USB Receiver - Retractable - Mac / PC / Laptop / Netbook / Macbook Pro / Macbook Air / Mac Pro / Dell / Samsung / Sony / Toshiba / Compaq / HP / Asus (Grey)
Offered by Electro Tycoon

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solid albeit chunky mouse from Acme, and coyote free too!, 22 May 2015
My old mouse died so I needed a replacement, my main bugbear with my previous mouse was never having an AAA battery to hand when the one in the mouse died, so seeing this mouse came with a Lithium rechargeable battery was a plus. The design looked good, and rhe price was very competitive, in fact it was a third of it's RRP so having compared it to other muce in the £10 bracket this was a no brainer and I place my order.

The delivery of the item was amazing, I ordered it Wednesday afternoon I had it by the following afternoon and I always select the cheapest posting option. The mouse comes from Acme, so a brief check for any coyotes was made, especially for wily ones, and I set about opening the packaging. Oh, it appeared to be in that horrendous hard plastic packaging that you need scissors for, you get nasty grazes from,and it's a real struggle. I was halfway through an expletive ridden attempt too free the mouse when I noticed the back of the package has a small hole into which you place a finger and the back comes away with no effort at all. That is a huge plus point for the packaging.

The instructions are clear and simple, and it was a matter of seconds to install the mouse to work on my MacBook Pro. I left it plugged in overnight to charge fully and I'll keep an eye on how long the battery lasts to work out how often to charge it up.

My previous mouse was quite small, this mouse is actually quite large by modern standards, you might even call in on the chunky side. The feel of the plastic is good, and the mouse action is good. The roller is very notchy and I am not so keen on that. The left hand mouse button when you have your hand over the mouse and click it feels like you clicked the right hand button, you didn't, but it feels like it, and sometimes instead of selecting the item you chose, say the back button on your browser it drops down the list instead of fulfilling the action, they are minor gripes I realise, but just sufficient to knock me down from a five star to a four star but a very high four star rather than a four bordering on a three.

The supplier of the mouse, not Amazon, were superb, if they had put it in a taxi and brought it round it could not have got here any quicker, I was very impressed with the delivery.

Tab for Gmail
Tab for Gmail

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useable, stable, and easy to use., 9 May 2015
This review is from: Tab for Gmail (App)
A nice clean interface that works well and is easy to use on my Kindle. I do have the odd issue with mails being saved as Draft rather than being sent, so only 4/5 stars, but that is my only quibble. It was very simple to setup, and unlike many other email apps I've used I am as happy using this on my Kindle as I am sat at my computer, and that is quite rare and speaks highly of this particular app.

Dead Easy for Dover (Bello)
Dead Easy for Dover (Bello)

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, entertaining, and very readable., 9 May 2015
I came across this series by accident after hearing adaptations on Radio 4, I have to say I have not been disappointed by the books, they're fun and are an easy enjoyable read. I hope someone will make a humorous dark version for a more mature audience, I think the stories would translate well to television. If you like MC Beatons excellent Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin books then I think you would enjoy the Dover books, give them a whirl and see how you get on.

Third Man  [1949] [Blu-ray]
Third Man [1949] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Orson Welles

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly superb film., 9 May 2015
One of the best crafted and well acted films of all time. There are no slack moment, no wasted lines, no superfluous characters, and the story is just brilliant. The moment with the cat round Harry's ankles and then he's exposed by a light is one of my single favourite moments in film. The blu-ray is excellent and no more than you would expect. This film should be in every lover of a good story collection. Being in balck and white adds more to this film, it adds to the bleakness of the Vienna setting, I think being in colour would have detracted from the film to be honest. I can, and do, watch this film over and over, there is always something new to enjoy, or favourite moments to relive. I am a huge Graham Greene fan, the adaptations of his work into film rarely lets down the viewer, he had a real eye for a story and they translate so very well to film.

Yahoo Mail
Yahoo Mail

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional and useable., 9 May 2015
This review is from: Yahoo Mail (App)
Functional, easy to use, quick to load, doesn't do anything odd or hound you with ads, it's a simple usable interface and you cannot ask for more.

MailOnline Tablet
MailOnline Tablet

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, truly awful, and yes you've asked me if I want to use the installed app, I don't so why ask me yet again?, 9 May 2015
This review is from: MailOnline Tablet (App)
This thing is a total pain, the Daily Mail website insists on using it even though I prefer to see the normal page, when you do end up with this kicking in it takes a while to switch off, it's just not very good, it's not very usable, and removes most of the content of the website, I enjoy a guilty pleasure of a good rant in the comments section of the online paper, this makes that nigh on impossible. Even worse, even with it installed browsing the normal site it still comes up several times a minute asking if you want to use it, which I don't, but you can't stop it asking. Personally I'd suggest you avoid this app.

Happy
Happy

5.0 out of 5 stars Music as therapy., 9 May 2015
This review is from: Happy (MP3 Download)
When I am in a low mood this cheers me up no end. It really really does. I heard the track first on ideal, and it struck a chord with me. Last year I ended up on a psychiatric unit for a while for my own good, one night I played this via someones dead cool bluetooth speaker box thingy, it got me a nice long chat with someone about it and what the song meant to me and why I'd played it. It helped me a lot to go over it, I guess there is some merit to the ideas of music as therapy. When I feel sad about my divorce I play this, it reminds me how I'm now in a better place than I was being married and that moving on with my life is the best thing for me. I wonder what the people who wrote it were thinking about when they wrote it and what it means to them?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10