Profile for Robin > Reviews

Content by Robin

Robin "Rob37n" (Hull, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood (Full)
Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood (Full)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten stars - genre defining, 7 July 2016
This is the best game of its type I've played. The variety of puzzles are good, the complexity of the solution intriguing, the storyline engaging. This is also a larger game than usual and kept my attention until completed. The themes are a little darker than normal so it's not one for younger children. I really enjoyed this game, and obtained through Amazon Underground the price was perfect.

Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride (Full)
Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride (Full)

5.0 out of 5 stars Genre Leading, 26 Jun. 2016
I recently discovered this type of game. I've worked my way through about ten or so but this one has more to offer, the live action sequences are more animated, the storyline flows better, the tasks are reasonably complex. My only niggle is some of the mini games require perfection colour vision. But you can skip them before you throw the Kindle out the window. This game would appeal to players of all ages and genders. I like the positive aspect of this game in its problem solving rather than other types of game where you are just killing things. Here you're more likely to outwit an enemy than decapitate them.

President and the Provocateur, The
President and the Provocateur, The
by Alex Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better books in the genre., 23 Jun. 2016
This subject could have a large library of it's own with all the various works on the subject, from the Warren Commission to the most extreme conspiracy theory. But in the middle, there is this book. Well written, considered, and genuine. The style of writing is engaging and thoughtful much like the author. This is a book I'd like to sit and chat with the author over a pot of tea and a sticky bun to go through the elements of the JFK murder. Of the many books on the subject this is worth reading.

30cm tall Free standing galileo thermometer
30cm tall Free standing galileo thermometer
Offered by awesomegiftsonline

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice item, 23 Jun. 2016
I really like these thermometers, they are a clever application of science in the home and they look really nice too.They are relatively fragile and need to be placed well out of the reach of inquisitive cats and the terminally clumsy. It forms part of my home weather forecasting kit along with a Fitzroy storm glass and a pine cone. These are always a talking point, people who haven't seen them are fascinated and those who have seen them before always comment on them, and those who have them extoll their virtues.

KOFFI DISC - AeroPress Metal Filter - Reusable - Stainless Steel Ultra Fine Mesh Disk - For Better Tasting Coffee
Offered by KoffiCo

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive, 15 Jun. 2016
Where do I start? I will start with the couple of negatives, then move onto the positives.

Negatives.
1. The fitting of the disk into the device is very tight, you worry about twisting so hard might break the plastic, but it does twist and is very secure. In fact more secure than the paper disk which has the habit of not always fully engaging, leading to a mess. With the disc there is no doubt.
2' Once the coffee is made and you need to discard the grounds. Normally the whole lot is placed over the bin and ejected paper and all. Now you have to carefully lift the disc off, being careful not to lose it in the bin. Practice will improve this manoeuvre.
3. Cleaning. The disc rinsed under the tap, but a few smaller grounds get caught under the metal ring and gauze. You just need to make sure to get them all out.

Positives.
1.I was not expecting this level of improvement of flavour, the quality of taste, the fullness, rounded deep flavours, the aroma, the sheer quality of taste is unbelievable. The aerppress made a good coffee using paper filter into the upper reaches of the best coffee I've ever tasted. This is as good as coffee made in the hideously expensive machine the owner of a local Italian restaurant went to Italy to bring home. I am going to get some of his blend to check the difference.
2. No longer having to try and get one paper disc and checking and rechecking it is secured properly.
3. Convenience, the metal disc can be stored fitted and ready for use when cleaned and dried properly.
4. Did I mention the flavour? Wow! I can't believe this is the same coffee, The taste is so different, deeper, more earthy. In fact i may even switch down to a more gentle blend as I am used to the paper filter altering the depth of flavour so much.

I think that covers my initial thoughts on the filter. I am very impressed. I am delighted to have the metal filter now, it drives all thoughts of a posh expensive machine out of my thinking. It now provides the standard by which other coffee will be measured.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by simple errors, 30 May 2016
Ok, I quite like this game but it has a fatal flaw. Twice now it has crashed on me after completing a mini game and it gets stuck. There is no way forward. The advice is to reload the game which means all the way back to the beginning. I was about two thirds of the way through the game, the second time, halfway through the first time. That's just not good enough to be honest. I am not prepared to start from the beginning. Again, it's just too time consuming over such a simple error. It's a she it really is as this is a good game at heart, but spoiled by simple faults that only have a radical fix.

Railway Wagon Plans
Railway Wagon Plans
by John L. Fox

1.0 out of 5 stars Short on technical information, 30 May 2016
This review is from: Railway Wagon Plans (Hardcover)
I really was looking forward to this book, it was intended to be part of my extensive library of railway related books, this would fill a gap on wagons covering the 1960 to present period. The binding is fine, although I do miss dust jackets, but I have to say I found the contents very disappointing. There is very little technical information, such as details of the wagons themselves, numbers built, weight, etc. The photos are good, the drawings excellent, but there is no detailed technical information. The wagons covered are primarily those in use on the railways at the moment with a number of startling omissions and some niche selections. There are many many wagons not covered, the author might have been better served calling this volume 1. I am gutted to have left such a negative review, I was so looking forward to enjoying this book, but as it stands it's going back to Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, entertaining, and well made, 29 May 2016
Let's be clear, this is no The Room 1,2,or 3, but it is engaging, well thought out, clever, engaging, and interesting. My only gripe is that sometimes objects are so dark placed in a dark room they are impossible to find. There are some colour problems, fine if you have perfect colour vision, not much fun if you don't. That's why four out of five stars.

Scrabble Classic
Scrabble Classic

1.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressive, 27 May 2016
This review is from: Scrabble Classic (App)
The game is confused and doesn't feel like Scrabble at all. It lacks something from the original games, simple things like reshuffling your rules as you try to make words. I have the game a couple of hours gameplay, then deleted it from my device.

Long Point Pencil & Lead Sharpener
Long Point Pencil & Lead Sharpener
Offered by Creston

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality, very effective., 25 April 2016
Oh my, want your pencil sharpening properly? Look no further, every other sharpener you have will go in the bin once you've started using this. Use the large hole to strip back the wood, then the small hole to put a point on the lead, no more messing with sharpeners where the wood won't be shave back and you're forever sharpening the pencil or messing with a penknife to try and shave the wood back. This sharpener does it properly. I bought a box of `Tenbow drawing pencils, using this to sharpen them was a delight., if you've invested in decent pencils then invest in a decent sharpener.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14