Profile for 5Horizons > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Pork And Beans
Pork And Beans

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, Loud, Quiet..., 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Pork And Beans (MP3 Download)
Huge guitars, ironic lyrics, great vibe; proper tune.
I challenge anyone not to break out their air guitar when those massive pre-chorus power chords come in!
Punch the air like no one's watching (but only if no one's watching, obv)

Snark Guitar, Bass and Violin Clip On Tuner
Snark Guitar, Bass and Violin Clip On Tuner

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously efficient way to stay in tune, 17 Feb. 2015
The first thing that stuck me was how small this is; little box, brief instructions, small black pouch and an impossibly tiny tuner.
That said, the display is brilliant, albeit the size of a £2 coin, and swivels to any angle. There's just one on/off button, clamp it onto your headstock and you're away. Being a chromatic tuner, you can just pick any string and the tuner senses the resonance through the headstock and detects the note, allowing you to just tighten the sting and watch the display until you reach the correct pitch.
I have never tuned a guitar so quickly. In fact I tuned two electrics and an acoustic so quickly that I almost felt like I hadn't got my money's worth!
There are some very cheap tuners out there, but spend the extra few quid and get one of these - you'll be blown away.

Indiana Wants Me
Indiana Wants Me

5.0 out of 5 stars " It's so cold and lonely here without you... ", 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Indiana Wants Me (MP3 Download)
Reminds me of early '70s school discos and Thursday nights; Top of The Pops, followed by youth club at the village hall. This was one of the seven singles we had (no covers, stored in a "toast rack" holder), played on a battered burgundy Dansette (which would now be worth a fortune on Ebay), desperately trying to look cool whilst eating big white bags of Smith's crisps, washed down with warm Alpine cola.
I still love it though, although it's harder to get hold of these days... sorry, I was still thinking of Alpine cola. The song is just solid Seventies pop gold that tends to get overlooked on the radio in favour of the equally worthy, but somewhat over-familiar "There's A Ghost in My House". Rejoice in the path less trodden.
Whatever happened to the Alpine pop man?

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the originals?, 30 April 2014
These third party replacement ear pads breathed new life into my tired Sennheiser PX100.
I've had the amazing little cans for about 12 years and due to regular use and worldwide travel, the original pads had become so thin and compressed that they hurt my ears after only a few minutes use.I took a punt on these replacements as they are ridiculously cheap and you get 3 pairs in the pack! I see they're now down to £1.00 inc P&P? You can't buy the wood for that!
They're a little plumper than the originals, but that's actually no bad thing; they are noticeably more comfortable and although I feared this would muffle the higher frequencies somewhat, I really needn't have worried. The sound is still as wonderfully open, musical and 3-dimensional as it used to be. That slightly rich balance and dark tone is still there, just now with added comfort!
At this price, you really don't need to think about it any more; just buy them, you won't be disappointed.

Tame Impala
Tame Impala

4.0 out of 5 stars Dig The New Breed, 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Tame Impala (MP3 Download)
Cool modern Psych from their early E.P./mini album. A less polished sound which is a just a bit rougher around the edges than "Lonerism" and none the worse for it.
If you like "Nuggets"-era Garage with hints of Revolver-esque experimentation and a dash of Stoner thrown in the mix, then this is well recommended.
At last, Pysch for the 21st Century; Turn on, download, wig-out!

Get Out of Denver (Live)
Get Out of Denver (Live)

5.0 out of 5 stars "Doin' 120, man, the fields they were bendin' over...", 30 Sept. 2013
"I still remember it was Autumn and the moon was shinin'..." What a great opening line. Straight up, four-on-the-floor rock n' roll, doesn't get much more exhilarating than this.
If, like me, you grew up with the frenetic Hot Rods version, then this is a revelation. Plus Bob sings all the right words!
Not even Chuck Berry wrote a driving song this good; you just wanna burn some rubber on warm Autumn night on a moonlight drive to the mountains.
Where did I put the keys to the Caddie?...

Auto Glym Surface Detailing Clay Kit, 5 Pieces
Auto Glym Surface Detailing Clay Kit, 5 Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe The Hype..., 3 Feb. 2013
If you're reading this, you're probably weighing up whether a lump of blu-tac and assorted samples from the Autoglym range are really worth twenty of your hard-earned pounds? Well, let me save you the time and soul-searching, because this is the best £20 you will ever spend on your car. Just buy it. Don't think any more about it, just buy it right now.
I though I kept a clean car. I thought I had my technique down. I though I was the master detailer, walking that fine line between conscientious and obsessive. Then I tried clay...
We all love a clean car, and I keep mine in pretty good shape. I've tried dozens of products in the last 30+ years, but baulked at the price of these clay kits, thinking their claims were all hype. Anyway, I stuck it on my Christmas list and waited for Santa to respond.
I managed to hold back until Boxing Day, but the shiny box of cleaning goodies was just too much to resist, so I wrapped up and ventured out, leaving behind the warm glow of the Christmas tree, and the heady aroma of chocolate orange, sherry and "Eat Me" dates, to emerge, blinking into the crisp Winter light. My MX-5 was already clean, so I set about a quick trial on the rear quarter panel. I pulled off a small lump (it really is like blu-tac!), worked it until soft and fashioned it into a disc about the size of a thick 2p piece. I followed the instructions and finshed the panel in less than 2 minutes.
What followed is quite possibly the closest I have come to a religious experience. Running my finger tips over the deep gloss off the cold, glassy metal caused an involuntary slack-jawed, gorming, accompanied by a long, low moan that evoked a look of concerned pity from the elderly couple out walking their dog. I was so impressed that I broke out the bucket and hose and washed, clayed, polished and waxed the whole car. The end result is outstanding; cleaner and shinier than I ever imagined, with a shine that lasts for weeks with just a weekly wash (using Autoglym Shampoo) and dry, plus a spritz of detailer if you have time.
Here's some tips: keep working the clay so it stays supple (especially in cold weather). Use a small amount at a time - you won't feel so bad throwing it away when you (inevitably) drop it!. Work lightly over the panel in straight lines until you stop hearing the "ticking" sound of deposits being lifted off the surface of the paint. Fold the bits into the clay as you go and start a new piece when you can no longer expose a clean surface. You don't need to go mad with the lubricant; this is just a way of making you buy more! Use just enough to allow the clay to glide freely (and spray directly on to the clay, too). Use a seperate sray to shift bugs and tar spots in Summer months prior to claying - it'll be quicker and cheaper in the long run. Don't forget that clay alone will not remove scratches in paint, you'll need polish for that (and Autoglym Super Resin is superb) and then you need to seal it with wax.
Thanks for the usual Amazon efficiency and price that's at least a fiver cheaper than your local orange & black store.
Have you bought it yet?...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2014 2:03 PM GMT

Kent KCQ6600 Microfibre Cleaning Towels, Set of 6
Kent KCQ6600 Microfibre Cleaning Towels, Set of 6
Offered by Car Spares Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right..., 20 Dec. 2012
Do you remember a time before microfibre?

I seem to recall there were cobbled streets, clunky bicycles with lever brakes and kids in short trousers and cloth caps, all in bleak, sepia-toned soft focus, probably with a brass band playing in the background?
Remember when we used to polish cars and record player lids with those yellow dusters that felt kind of soft, but turned out to be only slightly less abrasive than a Brillo pad?
If you love to drive a clean car, which I do (hey, every man needs a hobby, don't judge me!), then you know how indispensable the M/F cloth is; no more white polish residue or bits of cotton left on your glassy, gleaming body panels, and when it comes to drying, they are way better than any chamois leather.

Anyway, this bundle is excellent value, so much so that you don't even mind when the wife pinches one of the pink ones to use indoors, followed by that familiar weekend mantra... "If you spent as much time cleaning the house as you do that bloody car, etc..."

BlackBerry CS-2 Original Li-Ion Battery for BlackBerry 7100, 8700, 8703, Curve 8530, 8520, 8330, 8320, 8310, 8300, Gemini 8520

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Battery, 20 Dec. 2012
The original cell had been caned by 2 years of constant use and trickle-charging, resulting in it being able to hold a full charge for slightly less time than it takes to listen to the voice mail menu.
This battery charges quickly, holds its charge well and is very cheap. The overall service was up to the usual (high) Amazon standards.
To give it less than 5 stars would be harsh in the extreme.

BLACKBERRY GENUINE 9300 CURVE 3G BATTERY BACK COVER -BLACK BY MPAS
BLACKBERRY GENUINE 9300 CURVE 3G BATTERY BACK COVER -BLACK BY MPAS
Offered by REALMAX®-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Back (In Black), 20 Dec. 2012
After finally ditching my 7-year old Nokia brick, I tentatively joined the smart phone generation, courtesy of my daughter's hand-me-down Blackberry. The original back was a bit wobbly, which didn't really bother my daughter, as it was always disguised by a proliferation of glitzy covers, one of which I was offered in a feeble attempt at stopping me moaning. Figuring that the sparkly pink finish would not go down so well at work, I decided a new black back was the way to go.
I guess there's not much you can say about a battery cover, other than it looks good and fits perfectly on my 9300. The price, dispatch and overall service were all spot-on, as you come to expect from Amazon, making it an easy 5-star recommendation.
So go ahead and buy one.
It won't change your life, but it'll be one less niggley annoyance in a world of seemingly increasing niggley annoyances...

Page: 1 | 2