Profile for Tombola > Reviews

Content by Tombola

Tombola

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Borderline (Lassiter/Martinez Case Files #1)
Borderline (Lassiter/Martinez Case Files #1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Admittedly I didn't get far but what a waste of time, 20 Feb. 2016
Why did I bother? Admittedly I didn't get far but what a waste of time. The one good think I can say is that the author must have bottle to expose this drivel to the world.

Fire Stick: The Complete Fire Stick Users Guide - Everything You Need To Know About Using Your Amazon Fire TV Stick - Includes The Latest Tips & Tricks! (Amazon Fire TV Stick User Guide, Streaming)

1.0 out of 5 stars A five year old should be able to use better English than this drivel, 25 Nov. 2015
This was free - and over priced. A five year old should be able to use better English than this drivel. It adds nothing and has no value. Utter rubbish.

The Crowded Grave: A Bruno Courrèges Investigation (Bruno Chief of Police Book 4)

1.0 out of 5 stars If I were a périgordin I think I'd be inclined to sue for defamation, 25 Aug. 2015
If I were a périgordin I think I'd be inclined to sue for defamation. The insulting portrayal of inhabitants of this wonderful region of France reduces the story to near unreadability. It isn't just the natives. Young, professional women are reduced to girls by being addressed as mademoiselle. If I were to address one of my neighbours in this way I'd expect, and deserve, a slap. I'd suggest some research about France and its people before writing about them - and at the same it would be an idea to learn how to find the external IP address of a computer as the 'expert' in the book clearly hadn't a clue. Mr Walker might to better to write about an area and a nation of which he has some knowledge - but I doubt it. The unsubtle characterisation and dim-witted storyline are unlikely to succeed in any setting. Best taken off the shelf and put straight in the trash without the intervening unpleasantness of reading it.

Visual Basic 2015 in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself
Visual Basic 2015 in 24 Hours, Sams Teach Yourself
by James Foxall

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy Kindle edition, 14 Aug. 2015
This book doesn't work in a kindle version. There are links to code snippets - important in a book teaching code. If you click on one you are taken to the end of the book where you can see the code snippet just one line per page. Following code like this is just impossible. When you finally give up trying to read the code you then need to remember the book location from which you came so that you can return to it.

Interestingly the sample which can be down loaded stops inches before the first link to a code snippet. I wonder why? Just pure coincidence that another few lines and the reader would discover the fatal flaw?

Fire TV Stick
Fire TV Stick

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and good value for money, 16 July 2015
This review is from: Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
It would have been five stars but for the over emphasis on selling Amazon content. The device works well and has the advantage of changeable DNS entries allowing connection to use relocation services. This means that I can access geo-restricted content regardless of the country in which I am located. Setting up is straightforward and once done the device is very easy to use.

Dark Suits and Sad Songs: A DCI Daley Thriller
Dark Suits and Sad Songs: A DCI Daley Thriller

1.0 out of 5 stars Put-down-able - best not picked up, 16 July 2015
Good points.... the geographic setting

Bad points... The plot, characterisation, writing style, in fact everything else apart from the setting. I wish I hadn't bothered.

Anker 40W 5-Port High Speed Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Nokia and More (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than having half a dozen separate chargers about the ..., 31 Oct. 2014
Does just what I wanted. My gadgets charge efficiently and completely. So much better than having half a dozen separate chargers about the place.

Cisco SB 2 Port Phone adapter, SPA112
Cisco SB 2 Port Phone adapter, SPA112
Offered by NetXL

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Oct. 2014
Easy to set-up and unobtrusive in operation. A decent bit of kit.

August MB400 - DAB/DAB+ Radio with NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker, Alarm Clock and FM Tuner - Portable Radio and MP3 Player: SD Card Reader / 3.5mm Audio In - Compact Stereo System (Silver)
Offered by Daffodil UK

1.0 out of 5 stars A mistake., 31 Oct. 2014
This started badly. Out of the box the radio simply refused to do anything. It made no noise and showed no lights/display. I telephoned August who suggested that the power supply might be faulty. I went out and bought batteries. Having inserted these in the radio I still got no response. I fiddled about with the cells in the battery compartment and finally got the radio working. Success! Or so I thought.

I reconnected the power adaptor and found that the radio now worked from the mains. After spending some time setting up the alarms and so on, I left the radio expecting it to wake me up in the morning. Happily I checked it at bedtime. Less happily I found that, although the display was still on, the time had stopped some hours beforehand. The radio wouldn't react to any controls and would not even switch off.

Disconnecting from the power supply finally shut down the box and the display was extinguished. Sadly the radio would now not start again. Once more I removed the batteries and reinserted them. The radio restarted and worked for a while. It worked until I unplugged the power adapter and moved the radio - at that point is shut-down completely and refused to start again.

A portable radio - that can't be moved. An alarm clock on which the time remains static. A radio receiver that doesn't receive without considerable fiddling about.

I sent it back.

Lexmark X543DN Colour Laser Printer, Copier, Scanner
Lexmark X543DN Colour Laser Printer, Copier, Scanner

1.0 out of 5 stars Short lived, 13 Jan. 2014
This printer just managed to pass it's warranty period before expiring. The repair would cost more than a new printer. During it's (short) life the running costs were high as toner is pricey. While it worked the quality was good and the speed fine but no where near enough to justify its short life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3