Profile for R. Phillips > Reviews

Content by R. Phillips

R. Phillips (London)

French Girl Knits: Innovative Techniques, Romantic Details, and Feminine Designs
by Kristeen Griffin-Grimes

1.0 out of 5 stars user unfriendly, not french, 17 Nov. 2010
I bought this book purely on the many good reviews on Amazon, in the hope that I would find some great designs. I was extremely disappointed however, that the styles in the books are excessively fussy and lacey, they do not have the French chic of simple good taste. Most patterns are over complex and some are plain daft - viz the skirt that is like a tea towel to be worn over another garment and the weird bolero thing that looks unfinished and does up by lacing (not great if you have any kind of bust and are not size 0 nor under 20). The rather odd styles do not merit the level of complexity and effort involved in creating them. I don't understand the rave reviews, but I guess if you are into making very complex knitwear in all over lace designs then this book is for you. In my opinion, if you are looking for cool, stylish, chic knits that emulate the French knack of dressing simply with je ne sais quoi, then this book will fall very short.

101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
Offered by London Bridge Books

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing and old fashioned, 5 July 2010
I have a lot of stash - and i feel guilty about it. I also really like mittens and fingerless gloves and hats, so - simple solution was to buy a book of patterns and knit up my leftover wool into useful accessories. This book has great reviews but i cant see why. The hats and gloves are all so similar in style and rather old fashioned, I like the idea of sorting the patterns into wool type which makes the using leftover wool idea easier but the designes themselves are uninspiring to me and the patterns do not appear to be that easy to follow although i havnt tried one yet. Plus there are too many kids patterns in my view, I have grown up kids and dont know any little ones so half the patterns are useless to me automatically. I am disappointed by this book.

Qualcast Panther 30 Hand Powered Cylinder Lawnmower (30 cm Cutting Width) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars great small lawnmower, 5 July 2010
I bought this to replace my hover mower. I have had 3 hovermowers for my small town garden, and they have all been useless, the electric cords not long enough, the plastic blades keep going and the end result is tussocky and patchy.

I finally had enough and bought this old fashioned mechanical lawn mower. It is lightweight, the blades are sharp and it cuts the lawn like a dream. My only criticism so far is that it doesn't do so well on very long grass and it makes quite a lot of noise but it is very very much better than any hovermower i have tried. For the first time ever, my lawn looks better than my neighbours', it is even, close cut and even greener. It is so much better to simply pick the mower up and start mowing rather than faffing about with leads and plugs and extension cords etc. Yay for the retro mower!

Twelve Months of Knitting: 36 Projects to Knit Your Way Through the Year
Twelve Months of Knitting: 36 Projects to Knit Your Way Through the Year
by Joanne Yordanou

4.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly nice, 1 April 2010
I have been knitting for a year and am now considering more complex projects. I recently spent a happy hour seeking inspiration in a knitting shop looking through loads and loads of pattern books and honestly none of them did the job. I ended up with this one and I am pleased I did. This book is not massively trendy but the patterns are wearable and do-able (apart from the bikini's maybe) and the photos are nice and non-threatening, e.g. for a change the models are not all 12, size 0 and shown looking wistful by a misty lake or sitting demurely by a window in their tudor castle for which activities they need to wear their jumpers. I reckon i will make the socks, the blanket, the Jackie O sweater, the "vest" and possibly the man's cardigan. The worst pattern in the book is the one the author thinks is the best - the Women's Institute stylie cardi pictured on the front, don't let it put you off. I like this book for its straightforwardness, its easy to read, it covers many different styles very nicely and i think its a lot of patterns for the money.