Profile for Zelda > Reviews

Content by Zelda

Zelda

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The resulting Meals are Totally Worth the Time Invested In the Preparation, 13 Feb. 2014
A beautiful book, the quality of the paper and the photographs were outstanding. I really liked how Heston described how to make the stocks, sous vide, etc. The recipes seemed to take days to prepare so I started by cooking the crab lasagna. It took me almost three hours to prepare. I have never spent so much time preparing a dish before. The result was outstanding and worth the preparation time. My best lasagna ever. Look forward to cooking all the recipes. Perhaps for the next time I will choose an easier dish and alternate between easy and less easy dishes as I try to cook them all,

The Light Years (The Cazalet Chronicle Book 1)
The Light Years (The Cazalet Chronicle Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Alright -Maybe My Expectations weren't Realised, 12 Feb. 2014
I had read so much about Elizabeth Jane Howard that I had to satisfy my curiosity by reading one of her books. I knew she was beautiful and had been married for some years to Kingsley Amis, that she was a wonderful cook and an encouraging step mother to Martin Amis. The writing was fluid and the descriptions of food incredible. When I read the book I did get the sense of Britain in the pre-second war era. My criticism is, when she wrote about the conversations that took place between the children of the families in the story, I thought I was reading Enid Blyton’s Famous Five again. I will read the second book in the series to ascertain if I still get this eerie feeling that I am ten again and reading my favourite author Enid Blyton.

Rod: The Autobiography
Rod: The Autobiography
by Rod Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Loved Rod, 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Rod: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I have loved Ron's music since the seventies but never thought he could write such a funny, endearing autobiography. His memory is excellent as is his love for his family, friends and country. I remember when I lived in the US in the seventies and he and the very beautiful Britt Ekland were on the cover of People magazine, I thought they were like the "Beauty and the Beast". I have changed my opinion. I think he would have been great company but in a immature way and really not worthy of her though he does acknowledge that she taught him a lot about the arts and decor. She wrote a whole book about him, he wrote not even a chapter about her. A really good read as he definitely changed from working class boy to spending money on art and beauty.

Turn Redundancy to Opportunity : Proven Techniques and Programmes for Taking Charge of Your Own Future (How to Books)
by Laurel Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Aid to Coming to Terms with Being Made Redundant, 11 Feb. 2014
I was totally overwhelmed when I was made redundant as it was completely unexpected. Paralysis set in and I didn’t know where to turn for sound advice. I had been to the normal channels but nothing or no-one appeared to be able to help me. I googled redundancy and found this book. It changed my life and give me hope to try different avenues that could interest me. It also give me a new perspective on how to accept that I had been made redundant - the bitterness, at times, was all consuming. Brilliant aid to a new life.

Global Kitchen Sharp Serrated Scissor Shears
Global Kitchen Sharp Serrated Scissor Shears
Offered by Albero Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes jointing and spatchcocking chickens easy, 2 Feb. 2014
As I love to joint and spatchcock chickens myself, I found this Global scissors invaluable. It means I can buy a whole chicken and it gives me the freedom to either just roast the chicken whole or joint/spatchcock the chicken according to what I prefer on the day I decide to cook it.

Global GS-76 Swivel Peeler
Global GS-76 Swivel Peeler
Offered by Good Thymes

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific for peeling Celeriac and Swedes, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Global GS-76 Swivel Peeler
As it is a Global product, it had a lot to live up and it did. I love to cook celeriac but the effort required to peel it put me off cooking it. With this peeler is does the job with ease and also is good with swedes. I didn't find it good with peeling potatoes but then I have many other peelers for potatoes.

Slow Cooking: Mouthwatering Recipes with Minimum Effort
Slow Cooking: Mouthwatering Recipes with Minimum Effort
by James Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot Fail Recipes, 2 Feb. 2014
This is a very versatile cookbook. It has recipes that can be prepared in advance and take a long time to cook so a gift for working parents. It also has recipes that can be served equally for family or formal occasions. One of my favourite recipes was roast leg of lamb in hay. I had never heard of such a dish but it was spiffing. The introduction to all the recipes is informative and the instructions are clear. Highly recommend.

Murder in the Family
Murder in the Family

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Reading, 28 Jan. 2014
I didn't like this book. I never knew enough about the victims to care if their bodies were found or wondered how they disappeared. The story never gripped me but I did finish it.

A Descent Into Hell: The True Story of an Altar Boy, a Cheerleader, and a Twisted Texas Murder
by Kathryn Casey
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good if Shocking Read, 28 Jan. 2014
This a well written informative book. I liked the format Kathryn Casey used. She introduced the victim and her family to you and then the murderer and his family. You got to know these people from childhood to adulthood. So when the murder occurs, even though you knew if was going to happen, you are so shocked. Her descriptions of the horror of what drugs can do to a person is graphic. The ensuing court case and the effect on the victim’s family is heart breaking. The machinations of what goes on in private between the defence lawyers and the judge is an eye opener.

The Fat Lady Sang
The Fat Lady Sang
by Robert Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Story of How Hollywood Works, 28 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Fat Lady Sang (Paperback)
A number of years ago I read “The Kid Stays in the Picture” and thought it was a brilliant read. There were many, many stories about the movie stars with whom Robert Evans worked both as an actor and later as a producer. As well as his life story which really does read like a fairy tale. It reminded me of David Niven’s autobiographies. I loved Evans wit, self deprecation and sheer enjoyment for his life and chosen career. “The Fat Lady Sang” begins with his illness - he had three strokes and his battle to regain his health. It is a story of hope and the meaning of friendship. There are not as many tales of movie stars but the ones he has included are very interesting. It again details how Hollywood works.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7