Profile for The Very Civil Servant > Reviews

Content by The Very Civil...

The Very Civil Servant

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
10m Professional Quality Pure Copper OFC 4 x 1mm Bi-Wire Loud Speaker Cable - Multi-Strand 356 (4x 89 Strand) by electrosmart® - Colour: Dark Blue with Black Polarity Indicator - Flat Profile - Outside Dimensions of Cable: 14mm x 3mm
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Low-key cable, 1 Oct. 2016
Did the job nicely and much more discreet running down the back of the speaker stands than the usual bright copper.

Danielle Creations Flamingo's Shower Cap
Danielle Creations Flamingo's Shower Cap

5.0 out of 5 stars Flamingo head, 1 Oct. 2016
Love this! A great size and so glamourous.

Cornerstone Products Value Pack-Crochet Lite 9/Pakage
Cornerstone Products Value Pack-Crochet Lite 9/Pakage
Offered by Stuff 4 Crafts

4.0 out of 5 stars Lights up the dark stitches, 1 Oct. 2016
Just the job for crocheting in dim light or with dark yarn. For a plastic hook it is good quality: smooth and shaped so it goes into stitches easily. My only small niggle is with the switch placement as it rubs my hand a bit while using it. A smoother/rounded switch would be more comfortable.

Tassimo Chai Latte, Pack of 2, 2 x 8 T-Discs (16 Servings)
Tassimo Chai Latte, Pack of 2, 2 x 8 T-Discs (16 Servings)
Offered by Coffee Discs UK

1.0 out of 5 stars New version is NOT improved, 11 April 2016
The new version (not branded Twinings anymore, comes in one pod full of powder intead of two - which had one with tea and one with liquid creamer) is awful. It is worse than the instant chai latte powder you can buy in the supermarket. It's not spicy, doesn't taste of tea and it has a horrible dried milk flavour.

I loved the previous incarnation (and I like the Cadburys pods, so clearly the powdered pods CAN be nice) but won't be buying any more of this and in fact am not sure I will get through the two packs I purchased, not realising it had changed. I hope they'll bring back the other type (and the lemongrass variant while they're at it).

Pillow Friendz Soft Toy Cushion - Fuzzy Ladybird
Pillow Friendz Soft Toy Cushion - Fuzzy Ladybird
Offered by TZ Laces ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificently snuggly., 18 Nov. 2015
Very pleased with this - it sports a cheerful smile and is very cuddly. The underside is wonderfully soft and fluffy. Despite the delightful plumpness of the cushion, I haven't had any problems keeping it together with the Velcro as mentioned by another reviewer..

My Kitchen Cure: How I Cooked My Way Out of Chronic Autoimmune Disease
My Kitchen Cure: How I Cooked My Way Out of Chronic Autoimmune Disease

1.0 out of 5 stars Puzzling, 20 Jan. 2014
This book claims to be about cooking for autoimmune disease. However, most autoimmune protocols that I'm aware of recommend against eggs (or at least the whites), nightshades, nuts and seeds - all of which crop up in this book. It's even less suitable for an AIP paleo approach (not that it claims to be) as sugars, dairy, beans, grains, tofu and other soy products, commercial gluten-free baked goods and vegetable oils also feature heavily (in the part I read - see below). I'm really not sure who this book would be useful for. Not me!

The writing style is also highly individual and the author's refusal to fully write out 'them' and insistence on calling everything 'bangin' wear thin quickly. I couldn't bring myself to read the first part of the book, and gave up after skimming through the recipes and determining that the majority of them include foods that I exclude from my diet.

Garmin Heart Rate Monitor for Garmin Fitness Products Including Forerunner, Edge and Vivofit - Black
Offered by Red-Rock-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars very reliable, 30 Mar. 2013
I bought this belt to use with the ant+ key from a Wahoo Fitness Wahoo Heart Rate Pack - Black as I could not get a reliable reading from the soft belt that came in the pack (which further research reveals is a problem that some people experience with the soft belts).

This Garmin monitor works with the wahoo key flawlessly and maintains a reliable reading and signal. It may not be as flexible as a soft belt but is comfortable enough. To me reliability is the main factor in a heart rate monitor and this one has it!

Wahoo Run/Gym Heart Rate Monitor and ANT+ Key for iPhone 4, 4S
Wahoo Run/Gym Heart Rate Monitor and ANT+ Key for iPhone 4, 4S

3.0 out of 5 stars good ant+ key, tricky belt, 30 Mar. 2013
When I bought this item, the price was only slightly more than buying the Wahoo Fitness Key for iPhone on its own so I went for it as I needed an ant+ compatible belt as well.

However I had no end of trouble with the belt; yes, it's comfortable, but false spikes (up to 300% of my max heart rate) or readings of 0 were almost constant and very annoying. Further research indicates that some people have a problem with the soft type of heart rate belt (which this pack comes with) due to insufficient connectivity between the belt and the user. I am obviously one of those people! I tried using water and gel to solve this but to no avail.

I now use the ant+ key that came in this pack with a Garmin Heart Rate Monitor For the Forerunner 50/405 which I have had no problems with. I don't mind this but would if I had paid the current price for the pack which is substantially more than buying the key on its own.

The ant+ key works well with wahoo's own app (as you'd expect) but also with endomondo and digifit apps. Connectivity with the belt is excellent and I have no problems maintaining the signal within a 10 foot distance of the iPhone.

If I were to purchase again I'd buy the key on its own and a separate 'old school' ant+ belt - not as comfortable, but (for me at least) more reliable.

Smile Qigong ME/CFS DVD
Smile Qigong ME/CFS DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars not graded for all abilities, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Smile Qigong ME/CFS DVD (DVD)
I had high hopes for this DVD as, when I was well, I loved tai chi and qigong.

However, I found that the DVD assumes a certain level of fitness that, if suffering very badly from M.E. I was not able to fulfil. I wound up frustrated and consigned this DVD to the shelf. I don't mind modifying exercises to suit my ability but there did not seem to be any guidance for doing so on this DVD (unlike Fiona Agomar & Sue Delf - Beat Fatigue With Yoga [DVD] [2006] which demonstrates modifications for doing the exercises lying on the floor, seated, and standing).

When your condition improves it is difficult to remember how debilitating M.E. can be at its worst and I think that may be what has happened to the maker of this DVD. I hope that when my health is a bit better I can tackle this programme more successfully.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 10:51 PM BST

Egg Clacker - The No Mess Egg Topper
Egg Clacker - The No Mess Egg Topper
Offered by AntomDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars there's a knack to the clack, 20 Sept. 2012
I should have paid more attention to other reviews of similar products before using this for the first time, as I was initially disappointed. Then I discovered that the egg clacker is actually working as expected and I'm a lot happier.

The clacker works by cracking the shell in a perfect ring, but it does not puncture the membrane. The photograph is therefore a bit misleading as the clacker does not actually remove the top of the egg - you have to do that yourself with a knife or teaspoon in order to cut through the membrane. You are then left with a nicely accessible dippy egg free of shell fragments and jagged edges.

Things I have learned about using this clacker:

- Do not clack a second time if it looks as though it hasn't done much. It has, and your egg might collapse in a splurgy heap of woe especially if the white is on the soft side.

- Do not clack your egg in a tightly-fitting egg cup with sharp edges, or you'll get a double clack (one at the top from the clacker and one at the bottom from the edge of the egg cup). Because the membrane is not pierced this is not as disastrous as the twice-clacked egg noted above, but it can make things tricky all the same.

- Do hold the clacker firmly to the egg whilst clacking, but not so firmly that you smash it.

- Remove the top of the egg carefully with your knife or teaspoon. The egg clacker is not magic and so your yolk has the same chance as always of splurging out and running down the side. It probably has a higher chance, actually, since the cut the clacker makes is further down the side of the egg than I would put it with my teaspoon if doing this manually and thus the yolk is more likely to be clack-line adjacent.

- Because the membrane is not punctured, you can safely clack an egg and then lay it on a plate if, for example, you only have one egg cup but are having two eggs for breakfast.

Previously I have been somewhat challenged in the skill of topping soft-boiled eggs and so tended to avoid them (despite being quite fond of them). With my clacker in hand I now approach them much more confidently and thus can enjoy them frequently.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2015 10:44 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3